The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Jack Jones » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:51 am

I gave this a try for a few months, and tried continuing w/out the Closys because it's so damn expensive. I've found that I can't live w/out the Closys now. :(

Is there a generic version of Closys?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Jack Jones wrote: I gave this a try for a few months, and tried continuing w/out the Closys because it's so damn expensive. I've found that I can't live w/out the Closys now. :(

The CloSys is what helps prevent gum pockets although it won't go past 3mm deep as I've learned from sore experience.  The regime is NOT a substitute for flossing despite what Dr. Zellie says, again as I've learned from sore experience.  It may depend on how crowded together your teeth are or how often you visit a hygienist for them to do the work.

You can get two prints of a coupon for $2 off at the CloSys website once every month to help with the cost.  And Walmart normally sells it the cheapest unless there is a sale there or elsewhere.  You can stack the sake with the coupons.  Since the coupons are usually good for 6 months, you can buy in bulk if you strike just right.

There's no generic version.  The wetting agent is what is proprietary about it.  I only use it once a day at night because more than that and it affects my sense of taste too negatively.  In the morning I use salt water or baking soda for the prebrush rinse.

Also, I recommend this instead of flossing or those overpriced, underpowered Water Pick devices: http://oralbreeze.com/
(Yes, "authorities" say its not a substitute for flossing either, but give me a break!)
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Jack Jones wrote: I gave this a try for a few months, and tried continuing w/out the Closys because it's so damn expensive. I've found that I can't live w/out the Closys now. :(

I would recommend that you ask your dentist.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Just bought a new waterpik and it did cost me $60 (probably are cheaper ones), but the nice thing is you can add the listerene or closys to the waterpik reservoir and use that to irrigate your mouth.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Reub wrote:

I would recommend that you ask your dentist.
Nah, those guys can't be trusted.  ::)
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Abstract
J Clin Dent. 2011;22(1):1-5.
An in vitro comparative study determining bactericidal activity of stabilized chlorine dioxide and other oral rinses.
Drake D1, Villhauer AL.
Author information

1Dows Institute for Dental Research, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA. david-drake@uiowa.edu

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

The study was conducted to determine the bactericidal activity of a stabilized chlorine dioxide oral rinse (CloSYS Oral Rinse) compared to products currently available on the market.
METHODS:

Oral bacteria associated with gingivitis and periodontitis were exposed to rinses for one minute and five minutes. The numbers of colony forming units per milliliter (CFU/ml) were measured prior to and following exposure to determine the bactericidal activity.
RESULTS:

As expected, Listerine and Crest Pro-Health demonstrated complete kill on all bacteria exposed within one minute. Breath Rx exhibited the weakest levels of bactericidal effects overall. CloSYS and chlorhexidine rinses proved identical 100% kills against the periodontal pathogens at five minutes; in some cases, CloSYS oral rinse achieved a higher kill at the one-minute mark over the chlorhexidine rinse.
CONCLUSION:

The results demonstrated that CloSYS Oral Rinse has potential for providing a therapeutic benefit, making it an attractive option to induce compliance in patients concerned about taste and tooth discoloration during oral health therapy.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21290979

Most of my periodontist colleagues recommend Listerine. You can also occasionally use hydrogen peroxide diluted 50/50 with water to get the oxigenizing effect Closys delivers if you think it is beneficial. Chlorhexidine is available by prescription only and has the negative side effect of temporarily staining your teeth brown.
Last edited by pugchief on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 am

pugchief wrote: As expected, Listerine and Crest Pro-Health demonstrated complete kill on all bacteria exposed within one minute. Breath Rx exhibited the weakest levels of bactericidal effects overall. CloSYS and chlorhexidine rinses proved identical 100% kills against the periodontal pathogens at five minutes; in some cases, CloSYS oral rinse achieved a higher kill at the one-minute mark over the chlorhexidine rinse.
It seems like there would be no benefit to using both, but I've definitely noticed a difference in breath quality after ceasing Closys use.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:57 am

Jack Jones wrote:
pugchief wrote: As expected, Listerine and Crest Pro-Health demonstrated complete kill on all bacteria exposed within one minute. Breath Rx exhibited the weakest levels of bactericidal effects overall. CloSYS and chlorhexidine rinses proved identical 100% kills against the periodontal pathogens at five minutes; in some cases, CloSYS oral rinse achieved a higher kill at the one-minute mark over the chlorhexidine rinse.
It seems like there would be no benefit to using both, but I've definitely noticed a difference in breath quality after ceasing Closys use.
Get yourself a good quality tongue scraper [I like the one made by Philips/Discus Dental, makers of BreathRx]. Rinse with Listerine, floss, brush your teeth, scrape your tongue, rinse out the toothpaste, and finish with a bit of diluted peroxide, making sure the peroxide gets to the back of your tongue. If your breath still smells, you probably have bigger issues like gum disease.

Standard disclaimer: This is general advice and you should have your dentist evaluate your specific needs.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Well, at least the regime is working!  Just to be safe I think I'll start taking in some dental probiotics afterwards.

[img width=800]http://i.imgur.com/ZVURhtL.png[/img]

[img width=800]http://i.imgur.com/rik4c9B.png[/img]
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Jack Jones wrote: It seems like there would be no benefit to using both, but I've definitely noticed a difference in breath quality after ceasing Closys use.
Since I used to be a non-meat eater at one time, I'm very sensitive to noticing "dragon breath" in myself and others.  I've observed that just doing the full routine with tongue scraping is not enough for complete knockout.  A substantial reduction of about, 80%, yes.  But for complete knockout you need to do this additional step: tilt your head back and deep throat gargle with the Listerine for a full 30 seconds after you're done doing the 1-min with your teeth.  Please use water to dilute if necessary because Listerine can burn incredibly painfully.  I get a proto-fainting feeling from the pain every time.

It also helps if you eat the correect servings of alkalizing/detoxing vegetables.  If you just eat an unbalanced meat heavy and carb-type meal and too close to bedtime, you're just gonna reek it up all night into your esophagus and throat.  The body "digests" meat by letting it literally rot.  So I don't think most people or dentists understand that "bad breath" is not just coming from bacteria in the mouth, it's coming from rotting fermentation and bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract.  People with "dogshit breath" have poor diets to say the least.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:05 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Jack Jones wrote: It seems like there would be no benefit to using both, but I've definitely noticed a difference in breath quality after ceasing Closys use.
Since I used to be a non-meat eater at one time, I'm very sensitive to noticing "dragon breath" in myself and others.  I've observed that just doing the full routine with tongue scraping is not enough for complete knockout.  A substantial reduction of about, 80%, yes.  But for complete knockout you need to do this additional step: tilt your head back and deep throat gargle with the Listerine for a full 30 seconds after you're done doing the 1-min with your teeth.  Please use water to dilute if necessary because Listerine can burn incredibly painfully.  I get a proto-fainting feeling from the pain every time.

It also helps if you eat the correect servings of alkalizing/detoxing vegetables.  If you just eat an unbalanced meat heavy and carb-type meal and too close to bedtime, you're just gonna reek it up all night into your esophagus and throat.  The body "digests" meat by letting it literally rot.  So I don't think most people or dentists understand that "bad breath" is not just coming from bacteria in the mouth, it's coming from rotting fermentation and bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract.  People with "dogshit breath" have poor diets to say the least.
Can you provide a source for this? Current theory [at least in the dental world] is that volatile sulfur compounds on the back half of the top of the tongue cause the vast majority of halitosis.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:45 pm

pugchief wrote: Can you provide a source for this? Current theory [at least in the dental world] is that volatile sulfur compounds on the back half of the top of the tongue cause the vast majority of halitosis.
Naw, its empirical and clinical not academic.