The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Reub » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:24 pm

It's not impossible.  It happened. The fillings might have been weakened but if they were I certainly didn't know it. I used the Waterpik for 4 days and needed emergency dental care twice. Don't you love it when the experts deny the facts to suit their own reality?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Reub wrote: It's not impossible.  It happened. The fillings might have been weakened but if they were I certainly didn't know it. I used the Waterpik for 4 days and needed emergency dental care twice. Don't you love it when the experts deny the facts to suit their own reality?
More like when patients believe what they want to suit their reality in spite of 30 years of experience telling me otherwise. Besides correlation [which does not prove causation], what evidence do you have that the waterpik was responsible? I have literally hundreds of patients who have been using waterpiks for years without ever needing emergency treatment as a result. I also have hundreds of patients who needed emergency treatment without owning a waterpik. I'm sure if MG told you that was not possible, you would believe it.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Two dental emergencies within 4 days of using the Waterpik. Two cracked fillings. Two payments to my dentist.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Reub wrote: Two dental emergencies within 4 days of using the Waterpik. Two cracked fillings. Two payments to my dentist.
Yep, that's proof.  ::)
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:35 pm

pugchief wrote:
Reub wrote: Two dental emergencies within 4 days of using the Waterpik. Two cracked fillings. Two payments to my dentist.
Since you are such a stickler for the scientific method, where is your absolute "proof" that it positively doesn't damage teeth or fillings beyond your own personal experience?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:20 pm

Reub wrote:
pugchief wrote:
Since you are such a stickler for the scientific method, where is your absolute "proof" that it positively doesn't damage teeth or fillings beyond your own personal experience?
Waterpik Water Flosser: Unequivocally Proven Safe in Clinical Studies Over 5 Decades
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:24 pm

I see that your unequivocal proof is available on the Waterpik website. Nice!
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Reub wrote: I see that your unequivocal proof is available on the Waterpik website. Nice!
If you actually read the article, you would have seen that it is reprinted from
Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry 2015; 36(2):2-5, which is a respected publication.
Of course Waterpik wants the results to be known, so they also have it on their website.
But I imagine since it is written by an evil medical researcher, it can't be trusted anyway.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:04 pm

Besides being information disseminated by Waterpik themselves, the studies examined inflammation,  gingivitis,  pocket depth, and flora. Nowhere was there a study mentioned of damage caused by Waterpiks vis a vis trauma to teeth and existing fillings.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:02 am

Reub wrote: Besides being information disseminated by Waterpik themselves, the studies examined inflammation,  gingivitis,  pocket depth, and flora. Nowhere was there a study mentioned of damage caused by Waterpiks vis a vis trauma to teeth and existing fillings.
Then don't use it anymore. I give up trying to be helpful. Maybe you can use it to powerwash your driveway.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:10 am

Reub,

Fillings are metal. Cracking a filling with a waterpick? very unlikely.  Look at basic principles.  how do you take a firehose and crack a metal brick.  I suppose if you could narrow the firehose spray to a very narrow stream and hold it at 1 tiny point on the metal brick for a long long time, something bad might happen eventually, but that is not how they are used.

The filling was almost certainly already bad and you probably cracked them from biting down on something.

I've been using a waterpick for years without problem.  Mine has a volume control and I have the volume set fairly low, but it does the job of getting rid of the food, etc., so it works fine for me.

You may not believe it, but unless you're doing something really silly with the waterpick, there is no way those filling were not bad already and it was just a coincidence.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:38 am

i lost my teeth through the years from being pre  diabetic  so i have all implants at this point .  over the last 8 years i had 11 put in and i rejected 5 .

hoping the latest take well . i hate going through this as well as the cost each time .