The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Post Reply
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by MachineGhost » Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 pm

dualstow wrote:I say, I say, does Closys rinse or any part of this regime mess with your sense of taste?


I mentioned it does if I use it more than once a day.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7144
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by dualstow » Wed May 21, 2014 9:39 am

MachineGhost wrote:
dualstow wrote:I say, I say, does Closys rinse or any part of this regime mess with your sense of taste?


I mentioned it does if I use it more than once a day.

Ah, thanks. I missed it.
for Kriegsspiel, a wsj headline: Behind Every Metal Screecher is a Patient Voice Coach
I’m more of a social justice worrier
- Stephen Fry
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by MachineGhost » Fri May 23, 2014 11:36 am

Got my teeth cleaned for the first time since I started the regime, and there was hardly anything to remove.  No painful pulling or scraping requiring numbing agent; no flossing required.  But I had staining which took the most amount of time to deal with.  Overall, it took about 30 minutes.  I figure that's from either when I used Schulze's herbal formula which stains everything, the Closys reacting and oxidizing or a new idea this morning, the beet-based sublingual SOD.  We'll see.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri May 23, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Benko » Fri May 23, 2014 11:40 am

MG

Just noticed the part about soaking your toothbrush in a cup of listerene.  Do  you really think that makes any difference?
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by MachineGhost » Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Benko wrote:Just noticed the part about soaking your toothbrush in a cup of listerene.  Do  you really think that makes any difference?


Oh yeah, toothbrushes are disgusting cesspools of bacteria (especially spray from uncovered toilet) and recontaminating your teeth isn't a great idea.  That being said, I rarely do it because I don't like wasting so much listerine.  Maybe I'll just start cleaning the brush along with the nightguard in the ultrasonic cleaner every morning.

Be sure you tip your head back and to the sides to get the back molars when doing the squishing.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7144
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by dualstow » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm

I remember reading the website of an anti-plastic woman, and she made mouthwash out of vodka. I suppose it's the same main ingredient as Listerine: ethanol. But, no  menthol, thymol, methyl salicylate, or eucalyptol.
for Kriegsspiel, a wsj headline: Behind Every Metal Screecher is a Patient Voice Coach
I’m more of a social justice worrier
- Stephen Fry
User avatar
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Benko » Fri May 23, 2014 2:48 pm

dualstow wrote:I remember reading the website of an anti-plastic woman, and she made mouthwash out of vodka. I suppose it's the same main ingredient as Listerine: ethanol. But, no  menthol, thymol, methyl salicylate, or eucalyptol.


I would disagree which are the most important ingredients.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
User avatar
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Benko » Fri May 23, 2014 2:52 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Benko wrote:Just noticed the part about soaking your toothbrush in a cup of listerene.  Do  you really think that makes any difference?


Oh yeah, toothbrushes are disgusting cesspools of bacteria (especially spray from uncovered toilet) and recontaminating your teeth isn't a great idea.  That being said, I rarely do it because I don't like wasting so much listerine.  Maybe I'll just start cleaning the brush along with the nightguard in the ultrasonic cleaner every morning.

Be sure you tip your head back and to the sides to get the back molars when doing the squishing.


MG,

Important point for those who were unaware about toilet spray and the importance of not keeping uncovered toothbrushes in the bathroom.  I have an Oral B and there is a little covered container you put the brushhead in between uses.

OK which part is the squishing again? 
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by pugchief » Fri May 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Benko wrote:
dualstow wrote:I remember reading the website of an anti-plastic woman, and she made mouthwash out of vodka. I suppose it's the same main ingredient as Listerine: ethanol. But, no  menthol, thymol, methyl salicylate, or eucalyptol.


I would disagree which are the most important ingredients.


The menthol, thymol, eucalyptol, and methyl salicylate [essential oils] are the active ingredients. The alcohol is only present to keep the essential oils in solution. The newer Total Care line eliminates the alcohol and uses another ingredient to hold the oils in solution. They also add fluoride.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
User avatar
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2017
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Benko » Fri May 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Agree.  I misunderstood when you listed main ingredient as alcohol.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7144
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by dualstow » Fri May 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Benko wrote:Agree.  I misunderstood when you listed main ingredient as alcohol.

That was I who misleadingly called ethanol the "main" ingredient, but yes, not necessarily the active ingredient. In the vodka mouthwash recipe, it was the germ killer, with some peppermint or cinnamon added for fresh breath.

P.S. Finally got some Closys rinse this week. My mouth feels kind of like a swimming pool, but I like it.
Last edited by dualstow on Fri May 23, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
for Kriegsspiel, a wsj headline: Behind Every Metal Screecher is a Patient Voice Coach
I’m more of a social justice worrier
- Stephen Fry
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by MachineGhost » Tue May 27, 2014 6:27 am

pugchief wrote:The menthol, thymol, eucalyptol, and methyl salicylate [essential oils] are the active ingredients. The alcohol is only present to keep the essential oils in solution. The newer Total Care line eliminates the alcohol and uses another ingredient to hold the oils in solution. They also add fluoride.


Avoid the "Total Care" type toothpastes and mouth rinses.  They will interfere with the regime's effectiveness, mostly because of the tartar-control and antibacterial type of bioagents which are unproven safe long-term (and the FDA will ban triclosan eventually as it is an endocrine disrupter, promotes cancer as well as bacterial resistance).  There's some horror stories of mouth cancer or serious teeth/gum problems from using "Total Care" type toothpastes.  Crest Original is simple, proven and hasn't been changed in literally decades.  Why mess around?  For that matter, do not also use the flavoring bottle that comes with the Closys.  It also interferes with the effectiveness.

The worry over the alcohol in mouthrinses has become another urban legend.  It's not the alcohol that's the problem per se, but going to bed with a dry mouth from alcohol (or acidic PH).  Hence ACT Anticavity for the last step and not any of the other "Total Care" kind of ACTs.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue May 27, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Post Reply