The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by boglerdude » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:00 pm

^ Just ordered that a few hours ago. And some heads https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN1P7W1/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:11 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:00 pm
^ Just ordered that a few hours ago. And some heads https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN1P7W1/
I did not order those because either that review or a review linked to it stated that the official Oral B brush heads were superior to the unofficial suitable for's.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:33 pm

They're just brush heads. You cant expect NYT to suggest counterfeits
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:01 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:33 pm
They're just brush heads. You cant expect NYT to suggest counterfeits
That's like saying "They're just speakers" When listening to music or sounds the quality of the speakers are quite important in that that what you are ultimately listening to. So, same with the brush heads. That is what is ultimately cleaning your teeth and mouth.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:08 pm

Tom, it looks like you're having fun at the expense of at least one, probably two other members. It's very meta and while it might be a bit funny, it makes readers' brains hurt to try to keep up. Can we lay off the harping on people's work schedules and imitating other members?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:02 pm

He's like the daily show with Colbert. Smart, but too much effort to invert all the sarcasm after 10 min of listening :)
williswine
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by williswine » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:43 pm
williswine wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:08 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 pm
williswine wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 am
Peelu USA (no affiliation) sells dental fibers made from the same tree as that chewing stick. I have been using http://peelu.com/dental-fibers/spearmint-25-oz/ for years now and my dental hygienist is always amazed at how little plaque I have. I don't really like the taste of it but it leaves my mouth and teeth so clean and it does not leave a toothpaste after taste that sometimes affects my sleep. Added bonus is that it is not a liquid so travels really easy. Oh, and it lasts a long long time (just like my crystal deodorant stick).

I'm however wondering if the system mentioned in the first post wouldn't do an even better job even though it certainly costs a lot more and has many more chemicals involved.  Wonder what Dr Ellie would say, maybe don't change a thing!
Link does not work. And, peelu seems to no longer exist? With the endorsement above, I was going to buy some!

Vinny
Vinny, I didn't realize you were PMing people until now. I haven't used Peelu in a long while as I can't find it as easily as I once did. I've switched to the system in the first post. It prevents tartar buildup big time so my hygienist rarely if ever has to use powered tools. I have had some decay under this system but I can't always follow it to the letter when I'm on the road...
When did you make the switch? Have you stayed with it? What have the latest results been?

Vinny
I probably switched 4 or 5 years ago and am still using it. I don't have recent results as it's been difficult to keep up regular teeth cleaning appointments with the pandemic but I can tell the regimen is keeping everything in check. Happy with it even after switching to store-brand Listerine (my only deviation). Using an electric toothbrush makes it even more efficient.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:39 pm

williswine wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:43 pm

williswine wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 pm

williswine wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 am

Peelu USA (no affiliation) sells dental fibers made from the same tree as that chewing stick. I have been using http://peelu.com/dental-fibers/spearmint-25-oz/ for years now and my dental hygienist is always amazed at how little plaque I have. I don't really like the taste of it but it leaves my mouth and teeth so clean and it does not leave a toothpaste after taste that sometimes affects my sleep. Added bonus is that it is not a liquid so travels really easy. Oh, and it lasts a long long time (just like my crystal deodorant stick).

I'm however wondering if the system mentioned in the first post wouldn't do an even better job even though it certainly costs a lot more and has many more chemicals involved.  Wonder what Dr Ellie would say, maybe don't change a thing!

Link does not work. And, peelu seems to no longer exist? With the endorsement above, I was going to buy some!

Vinny

Vinny, I didn't realize you were PMing people until now. I haven't used Peelu in a long while as I can't find it as easily as I once did. I've switched to the system in the first post. It prevents tartar buildup big time so my hygienist rarely if ever has to use powered tools. I have had some decay under this system but I can't always follow it to the letter when I'm on the road...

When did you make the switch? Have you stayed with it? What have the latest results been?

Vinny

I probably switched 4 or 5 years ago and am still using it. I don't have recent results as it's been difficult to keep up regular teeth cleaning appointments with the pandemic but I can tell the regimen is keeping everything in check. Happy with it even after switching to store-brand Listerine (my only deviation). Using an electric toothbrush makes it even more efficient.

I have been dedicated to it since last summer. Went to the dentist for the first time in December 2020 since I'd last been in January 2020. Normally I'd be getting 3 teeth cleanings a year but this one was over 11 months later. I also stopped flossing after that dental visit in December. But I started flossing again after that visit.

My true test will be what everything looks like when I go back in June of this year.

Why do you call store-brand Listerine a deviation? Unless you mean you are NOT buying Listerine and are buying the store version of it?

What I started doing a few months ago was using only about half the amounts the three mouthwashes prescribe. De. Ellie did not really emphasize that but I think I read one sentence she'd written in which she stated you did not need much of any of them in your mouth.

williswine
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by williswine » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 pm

I had stopped flossing for a while. It was a mistake in my case. I guess my teeth are so close to each other that the products couldn't do their magic between them. I did develop a decay that required treatment but it was in an area I've always had troubles with. I will say my current dentist is at the bleeding edge of tech and uses digital tools that I think will find something where my previous dentists only using old-fashioned X-rays would have found absolutely nothing.

I now floss first then follow the regimen. I like it, and the products have a pleasant taste (especially Act bubble gum when I can't find the mint version :) ).

Since resuming flossing, and following the regimen, all seems fine. I am knocking on wood that my next check up will only require a simple cleaning.

I do one cap of Closys, perhaps a quarter of a Listerine cap filled with the store brand equivalent to Listerine (from Target, still ADA approved), and two thirds of the Act cap but I keep Act in mouth for a good 10 to 20 minutes or longer before rinsing. I'd like to see that one sentence from Dr. Ellie in which she stated one did not need much of any of the products in the mouth. I also wonder if she's now officially blessing the alcohol-free version of Listerine.

I haven't traveled in a long while but when I resume flying, I'd like to find a solution that doesn't require carrying the three liquids even as not much of each is needed for one brushing.