Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The dollar and purchasing power

Post by Storm »

Clive,

I find your SL7 method intriguing.  Prior to going full PP, earlier this year I had SL8 on all of my positions, and got stopped out on SLV when it dropped to around $17.35 (I purchased it at $12, so it was still a profit) and then seeing it rise later in the year to $26-27.

How do you avoid these type of scenarios?  I kick myself for getting stopped out of a winning position just because of a few days of market uncertainty.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The dollar and purchasing power

Post by Storm »

Thanks for the amazing insight, Clive.  I think if I ever implement SL7 in a VP I will have to go the 12 month route you mentioned.  It seems to eliminate market timing, as well as allow for certain purchases, like you said, of stocks at very nice bottom prices.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou