Low-cost smart phone plans

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Low-cost smart phone plans

Post by stuper1 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:12 am

Can anybody recommend a low-cost smartphone to buy and use with one of these low-cost plans?  I just need it for very basic service -- calls, texts, and very little data.  The cheaper, the better, as long as it won't fall apart.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:38 pm

stuper1 wrote: Can anybody recommend a low-cost smartphone to buy and use with one of these low-cost plans?  I just need it for very basic
service -- calls, texts, and very little data.  The cheaper, the better, as long as it won't fall apart.
http://www.ringplus.net/

Speaking of smartphones, 1.5 billion will be shipped this year, just 9 years after the introduction of the iPhone when 85 million non-iPhone smartphones were shipped the previous year (and Apple sold almost that many iPhones this year in just one quarter alone!).  That is 3x faster than the Internet was adopted and 10x faster than the PC.  I to got to tell you back in the day when having a PC was a weird, geeky, nerdy hobby, I never could have imagined this day.  Of course, it has its downsides, but I digress.  I'll just be happy if having a PC goes back to being that weird, geeky, nerdy hobby.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:38 pm

MachineGhost wrote: I to got to tell you back in the day when having a PC was a weird, geeky, nerdy hobby, I never could have imagined this day.  Of course, it has its downsides, but I digress.  I'll just be happy if having a PC goes back to being that weird, geeky, nerdy hobby.
I think it will. PCs will remain useful for content creators and power users, while most people will have only a multitude devices oriented for easy consumption and communication. You'll see the dichotomy of app writers owning PCs to create apps and not much using their mobile devices that run their work, and most people glued to their mobile devices barely ever touching a PC.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:19 pm

If you have a group of 5 sharing a plan, Cricket can't be beat. AT&T MVNO with unlimited call, text and data [although they throttle data after you exceed your limit]. I was paying over $200/month for 5 lines on ATT, and now it's $100 with the same phones and same network.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:33 pm

How are you paying $100 for 5 phones when I'm paying more than that for 2 phones?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Reub wrote: How are you paying $100 for 5 phones when I'm paying more than that for 2 phones?
You're using the wrong plan and/or using the phones a lot more while out and about.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:38 pm

I think that I'm near the beginning of a 2 year agreement with AT&T so I might be stuck with them. Any way to get out of it?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Reub wrote: I think that I'm near the beginning of a 2 year agreement with AT&T so I might be stuck with them. Any way to get out of it?
Sure, pay the early termination fee. :P It may actually be worth it if the projected savings over time exceed the price you would pay with AT&T over the term of the contract.

But barring that, just call them up and ask for a lower rate. It works. I've done it.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Reub wrote: I think that I'm near the beginning of a 2 year agreement with AT&T so I might be stuck with them. Any way to get out of it?
Sure, pay the early termination fee. :P It may actually be worth it if the projected savings over time exceed the price you would pay with AT&T over the term of the contract.

But barring that, just call them up and ask for a lower rate. It works. I've done it.
Lucky you. I tried that, and they told me to take my 5 lines and pound salt.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Reub wrote: How are you paying $100 for 5 phones when I'm paying more than that for 2 phones?
tl;dr version is that ATT and Verizon are expensive as hell, and you can get much better deals through virtually anyone else, without necessarily having to compromise on quality. Especially in a large metro area like NYC.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:14 pm

pugchief wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:

Lucky you. I tried that, and they told me to take my 5 lines and pound salt.
Were you prepared to terminate your contract? Without that, you don't have any leverage and that's generally the response you'll get. There is definitely a trick to it.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:02 pm

pugchief wrote: tl;dr version is that ATT and Verizon are expensive as hell, and you can get much better deals through virtually anyone else, without necessarily having to compromise on quality. Especially in a large metro area like NYC.
Verizon has the best overall network. 

Verizon has a MVNO at: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

AT&T has a MVNO at: https://www.consumercellular.com/

The downside is usually the sucky phone choice compared to FreedomPOP, Ting and RingPlus where you can BYOD.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!