Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: A Temple in the Garden of Eden?

Post by MachineGhost »

And my rebuttal:
Gumby wrote: That means it was built around 10,000BC. By comparison, Stonehenge was built in 3,000 BC and the pyramids of Giza in 2,500 BC.[/size][/font]
That 2,500 BC date is -- no pun intended -- seriously out of date, yet continues to live on as conventional [archeaological] wisdom.  I suspect the author is using such straw-men in his forthcoming book to make for a more exciting story.

There are numerous dumb theories as to the location of the Garden of Eden (such as on Mars!), including one that postulates Southeast Turkey.  But note that the quoted archeologist in the story said it was "of Eden" not the Garden of Eden, so he was probably referring to Mesopotamia.  I suspect he realizes the Bible indicated that the Garden of Eden was between four rivers, and Gobekli Tete is only located between two.  So the archeological evidence still seems to favor the actual Garden of Eden being at the tail end of Mesopotamia, underwater in the Persian Gulf as a consequence of "The Great Deluge" 12,000 years ago (glacial retreat).

[align=center]Image[/align]

And note that I did not even once mention alie...  well, almost! ;)
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

TennPaGa wrote: The pyramids weren't built c. 2500 B.C.?
Nope, the actual date is much older, like 6000 BC or 10,000 BC.  I don't have a source, but I'm sure its Googleable.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog »

MachineGhost wrote:
TennPaGa wrote: The pyramids weren't built c. 2500 B.C.?
Nope, the actual date is much older, like 6000 BC or 10,000 BC.  I don't have a source, but I'm sure its Googleable.
Which pyramids are you talking about?!  Surely not the Egyptian pyramids, the earliest of which was constructed between 2630 BCE–2611 BCE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramids
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog »

From a Nova interview with Zahi Hawass, Director General of Giza:

NOVA: There have been claims that a great civilization predates ancient dynastic Egypt—one that existed some 10,500 years B.C.—and that this civilization was responsible for building the pyramids and sculpting the Sphinx. Is this possible?

HAWASS: Of course it is not possible for one reason. Until now there is no evidence at all that has been found in any place, not only at Giza, but also in Egypt. People have been excavating in Egypt for the last 200 years. No single artifact, no single inscription, or pottery, or anything has been found until now, in any place to predate the Egyptian civilization more than 5,000 years ago.

Full interview:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid/ex ... owold.html
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

This might be it:

Author Graham Hancock, a geologist, an Egyptologist, and others reveal details regarding the age of the ancient structures that have been shrouded in lies for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsofKUDXds4

rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog »

MachineGhost wrote: This might be it:

Author Graham Hancock, a geologist, an Egyptologist, and others reveal details regarding the age of the ancient structures that have been shrouded in lies for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsofKUDXds4
That guy's a hack (and a bit of a crackpot). 
- H. L. Mencken
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I remember reading Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods years and years ago (I think the title cropped up on our latest book thread). He seems to have started out as a conventional journalist covering AIDS in Africa, and then he got a little bit crazy/fun.

I haven't looked at MG's video link, but I remember that Hancock teamed up with a geologist named Robert Bauval after 'Fingerprints'. Bauval said something about the Sphinx being incredibly old, and he used an erosion study as the basis of his argument. Not sure about the pyramids -- don't remember -- although they really are fascinating, and always will be.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso »

This reminds me of this old thread: http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/in ... n#msg31365

Gumby and LoneWolf really got into a battle over ancient aliens.  By the way where is LoneWolf?  I did warn him he might go crazy with all that lucid dreaming... :)
notsheigetz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by notsheigetz »

My current thinking on the garden of Eden and the Biblical Story of Adam and Eve is like the disclaimer you see on movies "Based on a true story".
This space available for rent.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Whether the temple was in "Eden" or "Krypton" not doesn't really make a difference in my mind. I mean, what's more impressive is that it tells a story of turmoil and large populations running out of food right at the dawn of agriculture. Sounds like a very interesting time in our evolution in terms of economics, sustainability and it's continued impact on the health of our species (grains, etc).
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

MachineGhost wrote: Nope, the actual date is much older, like 6000 BC or 10,000 BC.  I don't have a source, but I'm sure its Googleable.
:o  Not this again!  I'm having flashbacks!
Gosso wrote: This reminds me of this old thread: http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/in ... n#msg31365

Gumby and LoneWolf really got into a battle over ancient aliens.  By the way where is LoneWolf?  I did warn him he might go crazy with all that lucid dreaming... :)
LOL.  There's the flashback.  Good times, good times.  :)

Sorry for being so absent, Gosso -- it's good to see so many familiar faces still around!  I'm still a hardcore Permanent Portfolio adherent and I've actually moved to checking my portfolio just once every 3 months.

You're right about the lucid dreaming!  Since I made my post about it last year, I've gotten way, way into it.  I've had over 90 lucid dreams in all, so it's been a very successful experiment.  "Amazing" doesn't even begin to describe some of these experiences.  8)  In part, I owe the Permanent Portfolio for this as well.  It's allowed me to trade away the time I would have spent staring at squiggly lines on a chart and instead spend it learning to do something life-changing that I truly love.

Cool article, BTW!  Thanks for posting.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote: He seems to have started out as a conventional journalist covering AIDS in Africa, and then he got a little bit crazy/fun.
We should all aspire to get "a little bit crazy/fun."
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote:
dualstow wrote: He seems to have started out as a conventional journalist covering AIDS in Africa, and then he got a little bit crazy/fun.
We should all aspire to get "a little bit crazy/fun."
Indeed. I take the 'Fingerprints' book, as well as Hancock's work on the Holy Grail and on the Pyramids & Sphinx, with a grain of salt, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
Now, I'm off to go sing a Wille Wonka song in the middle of my city's main commercial district...
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso »

Lone Wolf wrote:
Gosso wrote: This reminds me of this old thread: http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/in ... n#msg31365

LOL.  There's the flashback.  Good times, good times.  :)

Sorry for being so absent, Gosso -- it's good to see so many familiar faces still around!  I'm still a hardcore Permanent Portfolio adherent and I've actually moved to checking my portfolio just once every 3 months.

You're right about the lucid dreaming!  Since I made my post about it last year, I've gotten way, way into it.  I've had over 90 lucid dreams in all, so it's been a very successful experiment.  "Amazing" doesn't even begin to describe some of these experiences.  8)  In part, I owe the Permanent Portfolio for this as well.  It's allowed me to trade away the time I would have spent staring at squiggly lines on a chart and instead spend it learning to do something life-changing that I truly love.

Cool article, BTW!  Thanks for posting.
Wow, 90 lucid dreams, that is incredible!  I'm still recording my dreams, but no lucids.
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog »

Gosso wrote: Wow, 90 lucid dreams, that is incredible!  I'm still recording my dreams, but no lucids.
So what do you take or do to encourage a lucid dream?  The only person I know who says he can do it almost at will says that if he repeats his own name to himself in his mind over and over again as he falls asleep, he greatly increases his odds of having a lucid dream.  I have no explanation for why that would work?  ???
- H. L. Mencken
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

Gosso wrote: Wow, 90 lucid dreams, that is incredible!  I'm still recording my dreams, but no lucids.
I'm glad you're still recording your dreams!  That's great.  Just bringing back my basic dream recall has been pretty awesome.  It was something I let lie dormant for much of my life and I hadn't realized what I was missing out on.  If you do take an interest in pushing for lucids, feel free to PM me, post in the LD thread, etc.  I'm always happy to talk about that stuff.  :)
rocketdog wrote: So what do you take or do to encourage a lucid dream?  The only person I know who says he can do it almost at will says that if he repeats his own name to himself in his mind over and over again as he falls asleep, he greatly increases his odds of having a lucid dream.  I have no explanation for why that would work?  ???
That's a great question.  You know what?  Let me bring up the old lucid dreaming thread and answer there so I don't hijack the Garden of Eden thread too badly.