text enhance?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

text enhance?

Post by l82start »

i am now getting "text enhance" when i surf this forum.. i suspect it is on my end and i am running virus scans to try to get rid of it..

anybody else getting random words turned into hyperlinks that show popups when the cursor passes over them??  very annoying!!  i have tried a few "fixes" i found to block them but so far no luck...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: text enhance?

Post by whatchamacallit »

None here.

I would suggest trying these in this order until it is fixed.
Malwarebytes: anti-malware scanner that complements most antivirus software
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwa ... i_malware/

ESET Antivirus online scanner: I have had good luck with their antivirus definitions catching viruses that other antivirus software did not.
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Windows system restore: You can restore to a point from before you remember first seeing the problem. This will hopefully uninstall any software that was installed in case it isn't caught by the scans.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... em-restore
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

What browser are you useing, l8? I have to help my ageing parents with their computers on a regular basis, so I may as well learn about this in advance.
No problems here in Chrome, by the way.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

great minds.... just downloaded and started malwarebytes scan... 

i was able to block the popups using add-block plus, but the link is still there so its not a proper solution
i tried a few ideas i found here http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-text-enhance/ but  it doesn't seem to be an extension.. i run very few and recognize all the ones i have..
i also tried adding Text-Enhance.com and Textsrv.com to a couple restricted site lists (firefox and internet options)

hopefully the new virus protection will work.. i was using sandboxi up until a few days ago but it has stopped working recently, i am still working on fixing it so my browser will run inside a sandbox again...

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

dualstow wrote: What browser are you useing, l8? I have to help my ageing parents with their computers on a regular basis, so I may as well learn about this in advance.
No problems here in Chrome, by the way.
using firefox, but its not specific to it. other browsers get this "virus" as well.
it may be a part of a flash player of some sort if its not a traditional virus.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Flash- I know that I have to update it right away to make sure it isn't compromised.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the recent security holes were Java-related, weren't they?
On both PCs and Macs.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit »

What real time antivirus software are you running?

None of the things I posted are a replacement for a real time antivirus program. I assumed you had one since you said you were running scans.

If you don't have one installed, Microsoft provides a very good free one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

running AVG (it didn't find it) looks like something i did fixed the problem however.  i disabled some functionality in adobe flash, and found viruses with malwarebytes (16 of them) many were chrome related and i don't have chrome and have never used chrome...weird...

kalgari

Post by kalgari »

Kaspersky Online Scanner is a good option as well. By the way here is the list of the online antiviruses, check if you are interested. They do not need installation on PC.