PP in a donor advised fund

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jwart

PP in a donor advised fund

Post by jwart »

Hi Everyone:

I am trying to implement a PP in a donor advised fund ( DAF). A donor-advised fund is a charitable giving vehicle administered by a public charity and created for the purpose of managing charitable donations on behalf of an organization, family, or individual ( Wikipedia def). I have mine with schwab and as is normally the case in constructing a PP, they dont have perfect options for implementing the portfolio.

The applicable choices they offer for PP consideration are

for equity portion,
Parnassus Equity Income (PRBLX) and Schwab Total Stock Market Index (SWTSX)

for fixed income,
Principal Short-Term Income (PSHIX) , American Century Inflation Adjusted Bond Fund (ACITX), PIMCO Total Return Bond Fund (PTTDX)

for cash,
Schwab U.S. Treasury Money Fund (SWUXX)

and no gold options.

Alternatively, i could go with either of their two funds, Manning & Napier Pro-Blend Conservative Term S (EXDAX) which has a 70% cash and fixed income component and a 30% allocation to equities or the Janus Balanced (JABAX) which has a 45 % allocation to cash and fixed income and 55 equity. With either of these options, i could supplement it with a percentage of total assets in gold and/or cash.

For equities suitable for the permanent portfolio, i am thinking SWTSX because of the low expense ratio.

Now here come the questions....

For fixed income, do i completely utilize any of their options and/or supplement it with one outside in my regular acct ( eg, tlt, edv or actual 30 year bond)

For gold, GLD or actual gold coins?

In considering your potential response, it should be noted that any investing components held outside of the fund, will be converted into cash if its transferred into the DAF account. This potentially could result in unwanted rebalances.

Thanks for reading and your advice in advance.

Cheers.