Peter Schiff Says The Majority Doesn't Have A Right To Steal His Money

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Peter Schiff Says The Majority Doesn't Have A Right To Steal His Money

Post by I Shrugged »

Looks like the topic is now about Ayn Rand.  As you can see from my ID, the book means something to me.  Whatever the foibles of she and her followers, the book was a work of genius IMO.  Genii are strange people. :)

Yes, the movies, now Parts One and Two, are somewhat disappointing.  Weirdly, Part Two is basically set in the near future, not the past.  I'll be pretty surprised if Part Three ever gets made.
Stay free, my friends.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

I Shrugged wrote: As you can see from my ID, the book means something to me.
Shrugged,

When I read AS for the first time, my impression (as I recall, since it was a long time ago) was that the book was a work of genius.  The ideas Rand presented really started me thinking and, I think, either initiated or reaffirmed important ideas about how the world worked.

On second reading (I think it was within the last 10 years) my impressions of the ideas remained unchanged, but my sense of the novel as a work of fiction was, "How schmaltzy!"

I picked up an unabridged audio version a couple of years ago to have a listen during commutes, long-distance trips, etc.  My listening experience mirrored my second reading.

I think it is testimony to the significance of Ayn Rand and AS - regardless of its shortcomings as fiction - that she and it are still items of passionate discussion decades later.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

WildAboutHarry wrote:
I Shrugged wrote: As you can see from my ID, the book means something to me.
Shrugged,

When I read AS for the first time, my impression (as I recall, since it was a long time ago) was that the book was a work of genius.  The ideas Rand presented really started me thinking and, I think, either initiated or reaffirmed important ideas about how the world worked.

On second reading (I think it was within the last 10 years) my impressions of the ideas remained unchanged, but my sense of the novel as a work of fiction was, "How schmaltzy!"

I picked up an unabridged audio version a couple of years ago to have a listen during commutes, long-distance trips, etc.  My listening experience mirrored my second reading.

I think it is testimony to the significance of Ayn Rand and AS - regardless of its shortcomings as fiction - that she and it are still items of passionate discussion decades later.
I feel the same way.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”