The Permanent Supplement Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:51 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 pm
You've been bulking for a long time and you still only have a 'last' layer of BF?
Yup!

'Cause even while bulking my calorie intake was still a pittance compared to when I was just a lazy couch potato.

I mean, I'm still a couch potato, but now just in an investing sense.
Canadian-Couch-Potato-Social-Image.jpg
Canadian-Couch-Potato-Social-Image.jpg (280.66 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
V = E * (8.5 + 2G)
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 pm

How much time do you have before the photo shoot?
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 pm
How much time do you have before the photo shoot?
So it's actually on my own schedule, and will basically be whenever I'm ready. These extra photos will be added to my current portfolio of photos that include things like headshots for acting.

So, fairly flexible with time, but still I'd like to "peak" no later than possible. Like... before this year is through would be nice. :D
V = E * (8.5 + 2G)
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 pm

So what advice do you need, you've just never had to cut before? Here's a quick Barney-style breakdown:

The keys are keeping your protein high, to maintain muscle mass, and burning off more calories than you take in. You need more protein to maintain lean body mass in a calorie deficit than you did to gain muscle mass when you were bulking. Also, the leaner you are, the more protein you need, whereas if you start out super obese you can get by with less protein. Cutting is pretty simple, but not easy. You just need to experiment a bit to find the easiest way for you.

People cut successfully on pretty much every kind of diet you can think of*. PSMF works. CKD works. Low fat works. You just have to figure out what you can tolerate. What I mean is.. some people like the foods they can eat on a keto diet, and they make them feel satiated, and they can still do ok in the gym. Other people say they feel like they're really weak and nauseated on keto. Likewise, some people feel great eating chicken/rice/broccoli and can keep that up for a while.

Same deal applies to how much to eat. Some people naturally will under-eat and lose weight after they consciously went on a bulk (these people usually lose muscle because they don't pay attention to their protein). Some people can eat "all the keto foods they want" and lose weight (because they're so satiated they stop eating). You can go anywhere from PSMF levels, where you're basically eating protein and EFAs and nothing else, which rips the fat off your body incredibly quickly while you feel like you're dying.. to figuring out what your current maintenance calories are (where you don't gain or lose weight) and subtracting a bit from it, which slowly drops your bodyfat over a longer period of time. And anywhere in between. Pick based on your tolerance and goals.

* To clarify, I meant every type of diet a bodybuilder would think of. I don't think I need to say that the juice detox diets regularly pushed by women's magazines are retarded.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Xan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

There seems to be a higher proportion of bodybuilders here than in the general population. Is there something about bodybuilding and the PP that makes them go hand-in-hand? I'm thinking of a former member and prolific poster who was also a bodybuilder.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm
There seems to be a higher proportion of bodybuilders here than in the general population. Is there something about bodybuilding and the PP that makes them go hand-in-hand? I'm thinking of a former member and prolific poster who was also a bodybuilder.
:D
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 pm
So what advice do you need, you've just never had to cut before? Here's a quick Barney-style breakdown:

The keys are keeping your protein high, to maintain muscle mass, and burning off more calories than you take in. You need more protein to maintain lean body mass in a calorie deficit than you did to gain muscle mass when you were bulking. Also, the leaner you are, the more protein you need, whereas if you start out super obese you can get by with less protein. Cutting is pretty simple, but not easy. You just need to experiment a bit to find the easiest way for you.

People cut successfully on pretty much every kind of diet you can think of*. PSMF works. CKD works. Low fat works. You just have to figure out what you can tolerate. What I mean is.. some people like the foods they can eat on a keto diet, and they make them feel satiated, and they can still do ok in the gym. Other people say they feel like they're really weak and nauseated on keto. Likewise, some people feel great eating chicken/rice/broccoli and can keep that up for a while.

Same deal applies to how much to eat. Some people naturally will under-eat and lose weight after they consciously went on a bulk (these people usually lose muscle because they don't pay attention to their protein). Some people can eat "all the keto foods they want" and lose weight (because they're so satiated they stop eating). You can go anywhere from PSMF levels, where you're basically eating protein and EFAs and nothing else, which rips the fat off your body incredibly quickly while you feel like you're dying.. to figuring out what your current maintenance calories are (where you don't gain or lose weight) and subtracting a bit from it, which slowly drops your bodyfat over a longer period of time. And anywhere in between. Pick based on your tolerance and goals.

* To clarify, I meant every type of diet a bodybuilder would think of. I don't think I need to say that the juice detox diets regularly pushed by women's magazines are retarded.
Yes, I basically started out just trying to gain muscle and keeping the body fat level reasonable, but never specifically have I done a cut.

I started bodybuilding about 2 years ago, so I'm not super huge or anything, but have put on enough muscle mass that I get 1 or 2 comments a week about being "in shape".

In a nutshell, I have mass, just not much definition.

My impression is that my body has always easily put on mass (the good and the bad kind), but it's very challenging for me to lose weight. So, I know this will be difficult either way.

Thank you for these tips, I'll do further research and experimentation.
Xan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm
There seems to be a higher proportion of bodybuilders here than in the general population. Is there something about bodybuilding and the PP that makes them go hand-in-hand? I'm thinking of a former member and prolific poster who was also a bodybuilder.
Maybe we're the same person and this account was just a long con. >:D
V = E * (8.5 + 2G)
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 pm

This trainer, Ngo Okafor, seems to have an approach with a high degree of efficacy.

Essentially taking normal looking people and getting them photo/video ready in the same sort of "bootcamp" style that a celebrity would engage in for a film. It looks like he centres around circuit work and low carb intake diet plans.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/kzx3 ... nude-scene
V = E * (8.5 + 2G)
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by l82start » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm

you might check out drew baye i have been following his strength training body weight program for a while now, and his videos and books seem exceptionally solid from a biology/physiology/science based standpoint, he is also a body builder and does cutting for competition, so if his cutting programs are on par with his other advice i bet they are good.
I am not a body builder so i haven't read his body building advice, my focus so far is strength/health/injury free.. but i have had some muscle gain and a good amount of fat loss from diet (keto-ish)... :D


BTW drew baye is planing on competing as a body builder again in 2020 using a body weight only program (just to prove some point) it is cool and a bit surprising to think that is possible...
In a free society, the last refuge of the moron is tyranny.

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:31 am

l82start wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm
you might check out drew baye i have been following his strength training body weight program for a while now, and his videos and books seem exceptionally solid from a biology/physiology/science based standpoint, he is also a body builder and does cutting for competition, so if his cutting programs are on par with his other advice i bet they are good.
I am not a body builder so i haven't read his body building advice, my focus so far is strength/health/injury free.. but i have had some muscle gain and a good amount of fat loss from diet (keto-ish)... :D


BTW drew baye is planing on competing as a body builder again in 2020 using a body weight only program (just to prove some point) it is cool and a bit surprising to think that is possible...
Drew Baye... never heard of the fellow, but looks like a good source for training info!

Thank you. Will research his ideas and programs further.
V = E * (8.5 + 2G)
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm pulling out the nuclear option, guys.

I'm calling a professional nutritionist today...
V = E * (8.5 + 2G)
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:15 pm

Why?
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
Post Reply