Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by WiseOne »

Good on you Maddie!

Here's a substitute for your English muffin: microwave mug bread.

Melt 1 Tbsp butter or bacon fat in a mug. Add 1 Tbsp coconut flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, a pinch of salt, and a dollop of heavy cream (maybe a tablespoon?). Mix together, then crack in an egg and mix well. Optional additions: cinnamon or cardamon, vanilla extract, a spoonful of flax meal. Microwave for 2 minutes. Let cool, then remove the bread from the mug and slice. Great with butter on top. I haven't tried toasting it but I bet it would come out nicely.

You can use almond flour as an alternative to coconut, but you need more of it, it comes out drier and almond flour is much more expensive.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

So, expeller-pressed, refined grape seed oil ain't the way to go? I suspect that indicates industrial processing?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

WiseOne wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:40 am Good on you Maddie!

Melt 1 Tbsp butter or bacon fat in a mug. Add 1 Tbsp coconut flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, a pinch of salt, and a dollop of heavy cream (maybe a tablespoon?). Mix together, then crack in an egg and mix well. Optional additions: cinnamon or cardamon, vanilla extract, a spoonful of flax meal. Microwave for 2 minutes. Let cool, then remove the bread from the mug and slice. Great with butter on top. I haven't tried toasting it but I bet it would come out nicely.

You can use almond flour as an alternative to coconut, but you need more of it, it comes out drier and almond flour is much more expensive.
Thank you! I'll pick up some coconut or almond flour later this week and give it a try!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That looks good. I used to make a thin wrap from flaxseed and eggs from a recipe by the ‘Wheat Belly’ author. I loved eating it but...I guess it had a little too much fiber.
🍍
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Hey, that mug bread is pretty good! I think I'll give the low-carb thing another try.

Here's an idea I stumbled on quite by accident this week: grain-free, low-carb cream-of-wheat. I was attempting to make faux mashed potatoes out of pattypan squash, and I must have added too much milk to the mix. What I got, however, was identical in texture to cream-of-wheat, and it had a flavor that was very similar. I imagine if you used a little honey, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference.

BTW, pattypan squash is the white, flying-saucer-shaped squash with scalloped edges. It's a summer squash with a very thin skin, so you can cut it up in pieces with the skin intact, simmer till soft, drain, and then puree with milk and butter.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

https://www.mic.com/articles/150232/wh ... cid-pure

"We call the U.S. the world's dumping ground for rancid and defective olive oil," Sue Langstaff, a sensory scientist, told FiveThirtyEight. "We don't know the difference."
I stopped eating fish oil and olive oil after listening to Dr. Rhonda Patrick talk about the dangers of rancid oil on Joe Rogan. Apparently quite a common issue. Mostly good old butter for me.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Maddy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Hey, that mug bread is pretty good! I think I'll give the low-carb thing another try.

Here's an idea I stumbled on quite by accident this week: grain-free, low-carb cream-of-wheat. I was attempting to make faux mashed potatoes out of pattypan squash, and I must have added too much milk to the mix. What I got, however, was identical in texture to cream-of-wheat, and it had a flavor that was very similar. I imagine if you used a little honey, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference.

BTW, pattypan squash is the white, flying-saucer-shaped squash with scalloped edges. It's a summer squash with a very thin skin, so you can cut it up in pieces with the skin intact, simmer till soft, drain, and then puree with milk and butter.
It's funny how the low carbers all trying to make carb free carb like comfort substitutes, and the vegans all trying to make meat free meat like substitutes, and the gluten free all trying to make gluten like substitutes, and parents everywhere trying to figure out how much breading and cheese you got to put on broccoli to make your kids eat it.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

This sounds friggin' delicious.
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:03 pm

This sounds friggin' delicious.
Thanks Smith!!

If you are looking for serious decadence, try slicing it, letting it cool a bit, and putting on a generous dollop of mascarpone cream and a few fresh or frozen berries. Pure heaven. Gives Devon cream teas a run for their money.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

BradleyHunter wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:57 pm I use elderberry gummies. it is the only magical immune system booster. In fact, the AAFP (American Academy of family physicians) states that children weaned before 2 years of age are at increased risk of illness. I recommend taking these [URL redacted by mod] as long as possible.
Who are you, and what is your intention with my daughter our forum?
💻 DITM 📚
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

In an effort to stop spending so much money on Red Bulls, I've come up with an energy drink home recipe that is saving me lots of money.

- half a scoop of pre-workout powder
- one spritz of orange flavoured water enhancer
- 4 parts water
- 1 part diet coke
- Ice

Super yummy, much cheaper, and a bit healthier.
💻 DITM 📚
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

1 gram kratom in 1oz vodka, before gym. Slaps on an empty stomach.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

boglerdude wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:10 pm 1 gram kratom in 1oz vodka, before gym. Slaps on an empty stomach.
Nice!
💻 DITM 📚