The Permanent Supplement Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:54 pm

dualstow wrote: Again, I'm all for supplements. I just think a lot of people are out there willing to make a fast buck at the expense of our dollars at the least, and our health at the worst. And if they aren't regulated, who's to stop them?
BTW, how well is your regulation working out for you with Big Pharma?  There's bad apples in any barrel, but the bad apples overwhelm in the Big Pharma barrel because they control the FDA via the revolving door syndrome.  Would you want supplements to fall victim to the same corruption?  I have some pretty choice words to say about that which aren't at all family friendly.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue May 31, 2016 9:55 pm

Not advocating anything, but below are select slides from a presentation given by Dr. Roizen who is the chief wellness officer at the Cleveland Clinic:

Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue May 31, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 pm

I may have an update to the regime soon (the one in the OP, not mine).

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:13 pm

Does anyone have a succinct and simple summary of what is good/not good for one's daily diet? I've given up all hope of trying to find this information via a search engine because...

A) search results yield someone who is pushing a diet type agenda

B) the science seems conflicting

C) i have very little personal interest in getting deeply educated on this topic...reading a medical study has about 0% interest for me

Bottom line: I'd just like to eat healthy
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: healthy diet

Post by Benko » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:42 pm

There are many schools of diet and some people have issues which means what works for some people, doesn't for others.

Eating lots of foods with added sugar is generally unhealthy though e.g. 5 grams of sugar in the ingredients e.g. Kind bars are fine.

Partially hydrogenated fats are very bad, as are rancid fats e.g. deep fried foods.

There is general agreement that the following are very healthy (if you tolerate them):
--green leafy veggies
--cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts)
--berries
--garlic, onions, allium family
--nuts especially walnuts

legumes e.g. beans, lentils are healthy if you tolerate them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beyond that it gets more complicated and there are differing theories.

If you have "gut issues", then some foods e.g. grains, legumes may not work for you.

One simple thing to eat which can be very healthy is a "green smoothie". Try:
--1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
--1 cup mixed berries (unsweetened) or 1 banana and 1/2 cup berries
--1-2 cups raw spinach

Mayo clinic's recipe
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... p-20049958
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:37 pm

And get your fiber every day! It's important to prevent blood sugar spikes, to prevent cancer, and also to keep your cholesterol levels healthy. I take partially hydrogenated guar gum (a soluble fiber) before most meals.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:10 pm

MangoMan wrote:Interesting info in the slides. Any idea why he recommends avoiding mouthwash with alcohol?
Bacteria in the mouth convert nitrates to nitrites (necessary to produce nitric oxide). Typical overreaction to something small when there's bigger issues to be worrying about in the mouth. Just don't shower for a day or two and you'll probably get heaps more NO that way.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Kbg wrote:Does anyone have a succinct and simple summary of what is good/not good for one's daily diet? I've given up all hope of trying to find Bottom line: I'd just like to eat healthy
Avoid fructose, fatty land meats/fluids (trim or lean), trans fats/Omega-6 oils and processed/fiberless carbs. Everything else is fair game.

An example meal plate would be approximately 1/4th full of lean meat, 1/4th full of a cabohydrate and 1/2 full of two servings of vegetables or one serving of vegetables and one serving of a low-fructose fruit like berries or one with a lot of fiber like apples. An optimal serving of lean meat to induce muscle anabolism in an elderly 70ish year old (worst case!) is 4.3 ounces (30 grams) cooked weight (any more will be oxidized as theres a hard limit to how much the gut can absorb), a serving of fruit or vegetables is 3.03 ounces (85 grams) and the carbohydrate should be 50 grams of net carbs (weight varies depending on what you measure, for instance its 7.1 oz of cooked parboiled white rice which has resistant starch (fiber), 10.60 oz of raw potatos before being peeled or 1 cup of raw oatmeal).
Last edited by MachineGhost on Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Followup. The optimal protein intake to maximize muscle anabolism is thusly:

Avg 22 years of age: .24 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per meal.
Avg 71 years of age: .40 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per meal.

So logically, the in-between point for an average age is 46.5 years, so you need .325 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per meal. Someone could probably come up with a linear extrapolation for all ages if they wanted to be really geeky. The gut has a limited capability of taking in protein at any one time; so if you eat above this level you're just oxidizing the protein and consuming what is increasingly expensive calories.

The important thing to take away from this is that you need to INCREASE your protein intake as you get older to offset sarcopenia.

Now, the other side of the coin is leucine, the muscle anabolism initator. People above 65 years of age have an inverse correlation with leucine, i.e. the less leucine they eat, the more muscle mass they will lose. And the magical amount for no muscle mass loss at all was 7.12 grams of leucine per day, which works out to be requiring 1.25 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day or .4167 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per meal.

So this is why I recommend the rule of thumb of assuming each ounce of cooked protein has 7 grams of protein and to always eat 4 oz per meal. Some meats like chicken have slightly more grams protein per ounce, whereas others like lean meat have slightly less protein grams per ounce. Not sure about soy and other "low quality" proteins that are typically leucine deficit. The most leucine-dense protein currently known is whey protein isolate.

You could certainly use a leucine or BCAA supplement in place of eating so much expensive protein to make sure you get the absolute bare minimum of at least 2.5 grams of leucine per meal, but you'd need to make up for the loss of calories elsewhere. Now that I got BCAA in capsules, I plan on experimenting with my regular protein intake to see what happens.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 am

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 am

Very surprising! K seems severely underrated by everyone. A "high" intake would be at least the average intake of K1 (626.4 mcg/day) and K2 (57.5 mcg/day), i.e. a proper K complex supplement will be double those values (as they are).

Dietary intake of vitamin K is inversely associated with mortality risk.

Vitamin K has been related to cardiovascular disease and cancer risk. However, data on total mortality are scarce. The aim of the present study was to assess the association between the dietary intake of different types of vitamin K and mortality in a Mediterranean population at high cardiovascular disease risk. A prospective cohort analysis was conducted in 7216 participants from the PREDIMED (Prevención con Dieta Mediterránea) study (median follow-up of 4.8 y). Energy and nutrient intakes were evaluated using a validated 137-item food frequency questionnaire. Dietary vitamin K intake was calculated annually using the USDA food composition database and other published sources. Deaths were ascertained by an end-point adjudication committee unaware of the dietary habits of participants after they had reviewed medical records and linked up to the National Death Index. Cox proportional hazard models were fitted to assess the RR of mortality. Energy-adjusted baseline dietary phylloquinone intake was inversely associated with a significantly reduced risk of cancer and all-cause mortality after controlling for potential confounders (HR: 0.54; 95% CI: 0.30, 0.96; and HR: 0.64; 95% CI: 0.45, 0.90, respectively). In longitudinal assessments, individuals who increased their intake of phylloquinone or menaquinone during follow-up had a lower risk of cancer (HR: 0.64; 95% CI: 0.43, 0.95; and HR: 0.41; 95% CI: 0.26, 0.64, respectively) and all-cause mortality (HR: 0.57; 95% CI: 0.44, 0.73; and HR: 0.55; 95% CI: 0.42, 0.73, respectively) than individuals who decreased or did not change their intake. Also, individuals who increased their intake of dietary phylloquinone had a lower risk of cardiovascular mortality risk (HR: 0.52; 95% CI: 0.31, 0.86). However, no association between changes in menaquinone intake and cardiovascular mortality was observed (HR: 0.76; 95% CI: 0.44, 1.29). An increase in dietary intake of vitamin K is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular, cancer, or all-cause mortality in a Mediterranean population at high cardiovascular disease risk. This trial was registered at http://www.controlled-trials.com as ISRCTN35739639.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24647393

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:15 pm

MK et al., would you comment on the idea of using kelp as a one-stop source of dietary minerals?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Maddy wrote:MK et al., would you comment on the idea of using kelp as a one-stop source of dietary minerals?
Vegetables don't have much vitamins or minerals per se, i.e. not RDA levels. So I wouldn't count on it. They're only useful for phytonutrients and fiber.

They also have a nasty habit of accumulating toxic minerals like thallium. There was a story a few years ago about that and kelp. Apparantly there's a county in Northern California where people are health nuts and eat way too much kelp in smoothies every day so were devloping symptoms of thallium poisioning.

Personally, I've found my self-grown organic raw kelp to overstimulate me and give me a fatique crash the next day. Don't know if thats a sign of toxicity or there's just something stimulating in it (I'm very sensitive to stimulants though I would get a rebound headache to indeed indicate it was that afterwards). Cooked kelp seemed better but it still kept me up way past my bedtime. It wasn't a wired feeling just lack of being tired.

EDIT: Ooops, my bad! I was thinking of kale not kelp. Sea vegetables are the most concentrated source of minerals so they would work for trace minerals. However, I don't recall seeing any were ever dense enough to meet the RDA, so look into it. Kelp is essentially used for getting a naturally concentrated source of iodine.

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:32 pm

MG et al., if you were limited to just a few supplements, which ones would you choose if your goal were to bring about a significant increase in energy level?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Ephedrine.

Take a Bronkaid tablet (20mg ephedrine) and a 200mg caffeine pill and you will be wired.

Not recommended if your heart is prone to exploding.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 pm

I wasn't exactly looking for "wired." I'd settle for feeling like 30 again.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 pm

rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 am

Assuming you don't suffer from a chronic health condition, the human body does not need supplements in pill form if you eat a healthy, varied diet. That said, I take these supplements:
  • Multi-vitamin - Doctor recommended as a "safety net" just in case I'm missing anything in my vegetarian diet (unlikely).
  • Calcium - I eat very little dairy (mostly a little cheese here and there), so again, just a safety net.
  • Vitamin D3 - Doctor recommended 5000IU daily. Whatever you say, doc.
  • Low-dose aspirin - Twice weekly now that I'm over 50, for the potential protection against heart attacks, strokes, and colon cancer.
I used to also take vitamin C thinking that it warded off colds, but I eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day so I already intake a good quantity of natural vitamin C and I have not noticed an increase in illness since I stopped taking it in pill form. Leaves me with more money to invest in the Permanent Portfolio. ;)
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I tend to be pretty skeptical when it comes to alternative remedies that purport to do earth-shattering things, but after a good deal of experimenting, I have the following earth-shattering anecdote to offer about an herbal by the name of Ashwaganda root. It's touted as being an "adaptogen" which supposedly helps with stress and which has a number of other supposed attributes, including the ability to boost thyroid function.

I can't really speak to those issues, but I've found Ashwaganda to be as effective a sleep aid as Ambien. I buy the root in powdered form and fill Size 00 gelatin capsules, then take two capsules a half hour before bedtime. Now, I'm one of those people who frequently lies in bed watching the clock for four or five hours, and sometimes gets up twice during the night, before actually falling asleep. And I'm generally wrung out the next day. But since taking a dose of Ashwaganda at bedtime, I sleep like a log. I also notice that I'm a whole lot calmer during the day, something upon which a neutral third party spontaneously commented.

Maybe my experience will help some other folks here.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:40 am

Chronic insomniac here, Maddy. Thanks for posting that. Will report back!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:23 am

My gastroenterologist says to take calcium, selenium, a probiotic, and a low dose aspirin. I'm at elevated risk of colon cancer.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am

I've been taking zinc, magnesium, B6, fish oil, and D3 before going to sleep, and I've been sleeping even more like a stone than usual, with the added bonus of insane technicolor LSD dreams.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm

rocketdog wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 am
Assuming you don't suffer from a chronic health condition, the human body does not need supplements in pill form if you eat a healthy, varied diet. That said, I take these supplements:
  • Multi-vitamin - Doctor recommended as a "safety net" just in case I'm missing anything in my vegetarian diet (unlikely).
  • Calcium - I eat very little dairy (mostly a little cheese here and there), so again, just a safety net.
  • Vitamin D3 - Doctor recommended 5000IU daily. Whatever you say, doc.
  • Low-dose aspirin - Twice weekly now that I'm over 50, for the potential protection against heart attacks, strokes, and colon cancer.
I used to also take vitamin C thinking that it warded off colds, but I eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day so I already intake a good quantity of natural vitamin C and I have not noticed an increase in illness since I stopped taking it in pill form. Leaves me with more money to invest in the Permanent Portfolio. ;)
Apparently a new study (financed by Bayer) indicates aspirin and fish oil supplements have no real benefits for heart health and increase gastro problems. Probably not the drones Bayer was looking for.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:58 am

Anyone else try the Ashwaganda? That's an interesting observation Maddy!

There's too many excellent questions about the benefits of vitamins & supplements. I think the evidence in their favor is mostly based on association studies, which is a deeply flawed way of selecting interventions. I cut way down on calcium supplements after some reports that they may exacerbate or trigger heart disease (arterial calcium buildup). At my next dexascan my bone density actually increased - so much for that!

So I started focusing instead in eating locally grown produce, reasoning that most produce in supermarkets is nutritionally subpar - organic or no. This is easy in the summer with farmer's markets everywhere, and I really do feel the difference. For the other three seasons, I've been experimenting with indoor/home hydroponics, first with an Aerogarden, then decided to go whole hog with a DIY ebb and flow system. Obviously my time is very limited (the tenured professor gig has been getting seriously demanding) so I've been putting it together slowly. Fun little project. Does anyone else do this?? I am puzzling over all kinds of silly little things like how much space to allow between shelves.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:13 pm

WiseOne, if you have time, would you post pictures? Our winter is VERY long, so I'm interested in anything relating to indoor growing. Could your system be used on a scale that could provide a meaningful yield through the winter? With what types of vegetables are you having the greatest success?