The Permanent Supplement Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Maddy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 pm

I wasn't exactly looking for "wired." I'd settle for feeling like 30 again.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 pm

"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 am

Assuming you don't suffer from a chronic health condition, the human body does not need supplements in pill form if you eat a healthy, varied diet. That said, I take these supplements:
  • Multi-vitamin - Doctor recommended as a "safety net" just in case I'm missing anything in my vegetarian diet (unlikely).
  • Calcium - I eat very little dairy (mostly a little cheese here and there), so again, just a safety net.
  • Vitamin D3 - Doctor recommended 5000IU daily. Whatever you say, doc.
  • Low-dose aspirin - Twice weekly now that I'm over 50, for the potential protection against heart attacks, strokes, and colon cancer.
I used to also take vitamin C thinking that it warded off colds, but I eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day so I already intake a good quantity of natural vitamin C and I have not noticed an increase in illness since I stopped taking it in pill form. Leaves me with more money to invest in the Permanent Portfolio. ;)
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I tend to be pretty skeptical when it comes to alternative remedies that purport to do earth-shattering things, but after a good deal of experimenting, I have the following earth-shattering anecdote to offer about an herbal by the name of Ashwaganda root. It's touted as being an "adaptogen" which supposedly helps with stress and which has a number of other supposed attributes, including the ability to boost thyroid function.

I can't really speak to those issues, but I've found Ashwaganda to be as effective a sleep aid as Ambien. I buy the root in powdered form and fill Size 00 gelatin capsules, then take two capsules a half hour before bedtime. Now, I'm one of those people who frequently lies in bed watching the clock for four or five hours, and sometimes gets up twice during the night, before actually falling asleep. And I'm generally wrung out the next day. But since taking a dose of Ashwaganda at bedtime, I sleep like a log. I also notice that I'm a whole lot calmer during the day, something upon which a neutral third party spontaneously commented.

Maybe my experience will help some other folks here.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:40 am

Chronic insomniac here, Maddy. Thanks for posting that. Will report back!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:23 am

My gastroenterologist says to take calcium, selenium, a probiotic, and a low dose aspirin. I'm at elevated risk of colon cancer.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am

I've been taking zinc, magnesium, B6, fish oil, and D3 before going to sleep, and I've been sleeping even more like a stone than usual, with the added bonus of insane technicolor LSD dreams.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am
I've been taking zinc, magnesium, B6, fish oil, and D3 before going to sleep, and I've been sleeping even more like a stone than usual, with the added bonus of insane technicolor LSD dreams.
Interesting. I take most of that in the morning after breakfast, and it doesn't make me tired or hallucinate. ???
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm

rocketdog wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 am
Assuming you don't suffer from a chronic health condition, the human body does not need supplements in pill form if you eat a healthy, varied diet. That said, I take these supplements:
  • Multi-vitamin - Doctor recommended as a "safety net" just in case I'm missing anything in my vegetarian diet (unlikely).
  • Calcium - I eat very little dairy (mostly a little cheese here and there), so again, just a safety net.
  • Vitamin D3 - Doctor recommended 5000IU daily. Whatever you say, doc.
  • Low-dose aspirin - Twice weekly now that I'm over 50, for the potential protection against heart attacks, strokes, and colon cancer.
I used to also take vitamin C thinking that it warded off colds, but I eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day so I already intake a good quantity of natural vitamin C and I have not noticed an increase in illness since I stopped taking it in pill form. Leaves me with more money to invest in the Permanent Portfolio. ;)
Apparently a new study (financed by Bayer) indicates aspirin and fish oil supplements have no real benefits for heart health and increase gastro problems. Probably not the drones Bayer was looking for.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:58 am

Anyone else try the Ashwaganda? That's an interesting observation Maddy!

There's too many excellent questions about the benefits of vitamins & supplements. I think the evidence in their favor is mostly based on association studies, which is a deeply flawed way of selecting interventions. I cut way down on calcium supplements after some reports that they may exacerbate or trigger heart disease (arterial calcium buildup). At my next dexascan my bone density actually increased - so much for that!

So I started focusing instead in eating locally grown produce, reasoning that most produce in supermarkets is nutritionally subpar - organic or no. This is easy in the summer with farmer's markets everywhere, and I really do feel the difference. For the other three seasons, I've been experimenting with indoor/home hydroponics, first with an Aerogarden, then decided to go whole hog with a DIY ebb and flow system. Obviously my time is very limited (the tenured professor gig has been getting seriously demanding) so I've been putting it together slowly. Fun little project. Does anyone else do this?? I am puzzling over all kinds of silly little things like how much space to allow between shelves.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Sophie, if you have time, would you post pictures? Our winter is VERY long, so I'm interested in anything relating to indoor growing. Could your system be used on a scale that could provide a meaningful yield through the winter? With what types of vegetables are you having the greatest success?
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:57 pm

Hooray Maddy, hope you get to try building your own hydroponics system this winter! DIY is absolutely the way to go. Kits and complete systems are available, but the markup is absolutely astounding and in the end you get an unflexible system that may or may not work for you.

I'm growing mainly leafy greens like lettuce, kale, chard, beet greens, arugula, mizuna, and herbs. You could do tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries also. Will post pictures when I'm done, but right now there's a lot of trial and error. Unfortunately there are no guides I could find online that offer useful help with specifics, like how do you set up the system to be absolutely leakproof, make it easy to rinse and refill the reservoir, and can be left alone for a week while you're away without disaster striking. Most guides provide only high level overviews, and the rest are people growing pot in large tents.