The Permanent Supplement Regime

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Supplement Regime

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:45 pm

One of my friends has a sister who is a nutritionist and is striking it our on her own for the first time with a private practice.

Given that she's new at this and is a friend, i'm getting the "friends and family discount". It comes out to being next to nothing, so I figure why not. Will report back on what she says!
V = E * (8.5 + 2G)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 am

Just another indicator of what started happening in the 70s and getting fatter. No other oil other than soybean comes close to having such an increase.

If I see soybean oil in a product, I put it back on the shelf. For example, we've made our own salad dressing with olive oil for years.

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:12 am

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:14 am

Canola oil is the only other one that's skyrocketed, but it looks like the graph is showing kg/p/y on both charts, so it's still about 12x less than soy.

I do wonder if there is something going on genetically. IE, populations that developed in warmer climates (where vegetable oils were grown) adapted to process them, whereas populations in colder climates (where animal fats are prevalent) adapted likewise.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 am

The main problem with canola, corn and soybean oil is that they're basically experimental. And it's not only the oils. The plants themselves are also new in the sense that they've been bred or engineered for yield, pest resistance etc. For example, wheat is an entirely new plant with substantial genetic differences from the wheat we've been eating for thousands of years.

With all the burgeoning random and poorly understood health problems, like: rise of depression & anxiety, ADHD, subjectively reported gluten sensitivity, undiagnosable "chronic fatigue" and "fibromyalgia" that's created a cottage industry for quacks, not to mention metabolic syndrome, you have to wonder about all these changes introduced into the food system in the name of reducing heart disease risk. Of course it's also possible that this is all just an effect of whiny worried well with too much time on their hands, a temptation to make medical care a hobby because someone else is paying for it, and an inability to deal with life the way their grandparents did, but there's evidence that some of these conditions are indeed real and increasingly common.

If I could go back and change one thing about history, it would be to wipe out Ancel Keyes. He should have been fired and forced to retract his papers, given all the scientific misconduct (cherry-picking data) and logical flaws (e.g. ignoring the effect of cigarette smoking).
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:01 am

sophie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 am
If I could go back and change one thing about history, it would be to wipe out Ancel Keyes. He should have been fired and forced to retract his papers, given all the scientific misconduct (cherry-picking data) and logical flaws (e.g. ignoring the effect of cigarette smoking).
Yes!

Even now, though improving a lot because of the wisdom of crowds / internet effect, saturated fat still is demonized. Meat is somewhat demonized (lean cuts...). Eggs are getting less of a bad rap. Butter is doing better. Full fat milk (I can't believe I drank skim for decades). But cholesterol will still kill you if you don't take a statin.

It is heartening to see changes by companies that are appealing to Keto/Paleo in offering items that have much lower carbs and sugar. Full avocado oil mayo (but I don't like the taste!). Coconut oil offered everywhere now.

Soybean oil, though can still be found in way too much stuff. It is just amazing that it is in so many things.

But there is still a lot of continued misinformation

http://www.cardiobrief.org/2016/11/14/i ... reporters/