Feds Buying Even More Bullets

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Feds Buying Even More Bullets

Post by Reub »

The DHS is purchasing another 200 million rounds of ammunition including 176,000 rounds of .306 calibre hollow points to be used by snipers. This brings the total recent purchases to 200 million rounds by the DHS over the next four years. And they won't say why.

http://www.infowars.com/dhs-purchases-2 ... mmunition/

The total number of bullets purchased by the DHS over the last 6 months alone is 1.4 billion with a "B"!

Vote accordingly.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Feds Buying Even More Bullets

Post by Pointedstick »

I'm unsure how this should make me want to vote. The agency's creation act received bipartisan votes in Congress, and was signed into law by a Republican president, and these large ammo purchases are occurring under a Democratic administration. Seems both major parties like the DHS. Should I vote Green or Libertarian?
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Isn't there another thread in here discussing the best way to stockpile guns and ammo?  Seems like the DHS is hedging risk.... maybe they hired an economist.
AgAuMoney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AgAuMoney »

Pointedstick wrote: Should I vote Green or Libertarian?
The core tenet of the U.S. Libertarian party is the rejection of the initiation of violence.  This applies also to government.  Live and let live as sovereign individuals.

Adjunct with that is the belief in gov't as small as possible.

http://www.lp.org/platform

My impression of the Green party is that they are NOT small government, but would use the power of government to enforce their views.  Quite the opposite of small gov't and sovereign individuals.

http://www.gp.org/committees/platform/2010/index.php

Personally I'm strongly leaning toward Gary Johnson as the candidate who best represents my idea of good government.  But I keep being tempted by the thought of voting "against the alternative" instead of for my beliefs.  But then I remember Ford and Arthur in Douglas Adams, "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" Ch36:
DouglasAdams wrote: F: On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.
A: Odd, I thought you said it was a democracy.
F: I did. It is.
A: So why don't the people get rid of the lizards?
F: It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.
A: You mean they actually vote for the lizards?
F: Oh yes, of course.
A: But why?
F: Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, the wrong lizard might get in.
So if I vote my beliefs and somebody else wins, at least I didn't vote for them.  But if the wrong lizard wins, and I didn't vote against him...  But which is the wrong lizard?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

AgAuMoney, it was sort of more of a rhetorical question, designed to highlight the fact that both the Democrats and Republicans have horrible records on this (and most) issues. I imagine that the Green Party is not very happy about the DHS, but don't worry, I'm a full-blown Libertarian and have every intention of voting for Gary Johnson, not that it matters since Obama would carry California if a video surfaced of him starving a kitten to death.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
AgAuMoney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AgAuMoney »

Pointedstick wrote: AgAuMoney, it was sort of more of a rhetorical question
Yeah, I figured it was.  But I took it as an opportunity.  ;D
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Reub wrote: Voting for Gary Johnson is voting for Barack Obama.
If you're in swing state like Florida or Ohio, sure. But do you really think that a vote for a third party candidate will make a lick of difference in a place like Texas or California?
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I'm pretty sure Obama has California in the bag, and it's not his "media machine" telling me that, either; Democrats simply have a ridiculous demographic advantage here. Can you come up with any possible scenario in which Romney carries California? I'm having trouble imagining it.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Pointedstick wrote: I'm pretty sure Obama has California in the bag, and it's not his "media machine" telling me that, either; Democrats simply have a ridiculous demographic advantage here. Can you come up with any possible scenario in which Romney carries California? I'm having trouble imagining it.
I'm having trouble envisioning a scenario where Romney carries the electoral votes.  Unless there's some kind of Wag the Dog moment soon, he is done.

I am registering to vote after a 21-year hiatus.  I was a devout believer in Browne's direct means to freedom, but crony corporate interests have co-opted the political process to such a degree that is now impossible to ignore.  Besides, I think maturity requires one to respect both the economic and coercive means to freedom, not choose either/or.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Reub wrote: It could matter in states that Obama's media machine would have you believe are in his pocket when they may not be. Don't waste your vote on Johnson.
Hah, a vote for who a person wants in their government isn't a waste, it's how our country is supposed to work.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Reub wrote: A vote that splits the anti-Obama vote is counter productive.
I agree, so long as you're in a swing state. If I lived in Florida or Ohio, I'd be voting for Romney, because the eventual winner's margin of victory will be slight enough that third parties are a real consideration. But I don't live there. I live in California, where Obama has about a 99.999% chance of winning.

Voting for Johnson helps Obama win only if you believe that Romney has any chance at all of taking California. Do you?
Last edited by Pointedstick on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Reub wrote: A vote that splits the anti-Obama vote is counter productive.
From the point of view of someone who just doesn't want Obama to win, that would make sense, but not everyone shares that perspective.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.