Reagan's Budget Director Annihilates Paul Ryan's Budget Plan

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Reagan's Budget Director Annihilates Paul Ryan's Budget Plan

Post by Ad Orientem »

Greenwich, Conn. PAUL D. RYAN is the most articulate and intellectually imposing Republican of the moment, but that doesn’t alter the fact that this earnest congressman from Wisconsin is preaching the same empty conservative sermon.

Thirty years of Republican apostasy — a once grand party’s embrace of the welfare state, the warfare state and the Wall Street-coddling bailout state — have crippled the engines of capitalism and buried us in debt. Mr. Ryan’s sonorous campaign rhetoric about shrinking Big Government and giving tax cuts to “job creators”? (read: the top 2 percent) will do nothing to reverse the nation’s economic decline and arrest its fiscal collapse.

Mr. Ryan professes to be a defense hawk, though the true conservatives of modern times — Calvin Coolidge, Herbert C. Hoover, Robert A. Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower, even Gerald R. Ford — would have had no use for the neoconconservative imperialism that the G.O.P. cobbled from policy salons run by Irving Kristol’s ex-Trotskyites three decades ago. These doctrines now saddle our bankrupt nation with a roughly $775 billion “defense”? budget in a world where we have no advanced industrial state enemies and have been fired (appropriately) as the global policeman.
Read the rest here...
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/opini ... .html?_r=2
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Reagan's Budget Director Annihilates Paul Ryan's Budget Plan

Post by Benko »

Then you should be glad that Ryan is not the one running for president, and that Romney will be the one deciding on the exact details of the budget plan that will be proposed. 

I'm sure it will compare favorably to the budget plan passed by the current administration :-)  Oh wait....
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Benko wrote: Then you should be glad that Ryan is not the one running for president, and that Romney will be the one deciding on the exact details of the budget plan that will be proposed. 

I'm sure it will compare favorably to the budget plan passed by the current administration :-)  Oh wait....
Yep. Anyone got any recommendations for good movie rentals? I'm going to need some for election night since I don't see myself voting this year.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Basically the only difference between Romney and Obama is the Federal Judges and Supreme Court Justices that they'll nominate, since they have fairly stark pools of people to pull from. So you need to ask yourself which of these cronies you're less unhappy to have packing the federal court system with people who share their party. For everything else that matters, they're more or less identical.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Reub wrote: How can you say that they're identical when one has been President and failed and the other hasn't?
Because both have track records that make it clear they are ideological twins. There may be some differences on details. But philosophically there isn't much difference. Romney and Obama are both crony capitalist, neo-imperialists who favor big government statism and are perfectly willing to bankrupt the country.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Reub wrote: How can you say that they're identical when one has been President and failed and the other hasn't?
Perhaps Romney will be elected, and then after he has failed in the same way that Obama has failed four years from now, THEN they will be identical.

I really think that if Romney had been elected in 2008 things wouldn't be a lot different that they are today.  If you look at how the rest of the world has weathered the 2008 financial crisis, the U.S. has actually done pretty well.  It usually takes 10-20 years to recover from a debt-fueled asset bubble being popped through a financial crisis, so if we can get this one behind us in 5-10 years I think we will be doing pretty well.

I'm no Obama fan, but I like the way Obama and the House Republicans work together to make sure that little or nothing gets done.  IMHO, gridlock is an appealing status quo.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Ad Orientem wrote:
Because both have track records that make it clear they are ideological twins. There may be some differences on details. But philosophically there isn't much difference. Romney and Obama are both crony capitalist, neo-imperialists who favor big government statism and are perfectly willing to bankrupt the country.
Exactly. They differ on the fluff like gay marriage and raising income taxes on people who make much of their money from capital gains, but look at what they agree on:

Obamacare or similar (LOL)
Bank bailouts
Subsidies to favored industries
Imperialistic foreign wars
Continuing the drug war
Letting the Fed do what it wants
Continuing, expanding, or only slightly modifying all forms of welfare (social security, medicare, medicaid, SCHIP, COBRA, TANF, food stamps, etc)
Not pushing for new gun control laws (which gets a thumbs-up from me FWIW)
Lowering taxes for middle-class people

I don't like Obama one bit, but let's not delude ourselves that Mitt Romney is some kind of Classical Liberal savior. He's just a big-government statist with a coat of red paint. However, that red coat of paint means that the people he can acceptably pick as federal judges or SCOTUS nominees also have to be coated in red paint. So you have to ask yourself, Would I prefer the judiciary filled with more blue-coats, or more red-coats?

Next you need to ask yourself if you live in a swing state. If not, you can safely vote for Batman or Yogi Bear, secure in the knowledge that your electoral contribution is completely irrelevant.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Ad Orientem wrote: Yep. Anyone got any recommendations for good movie rentals? I'm going to need some for election night since I
don't see myself voting this year.
http://www.jinni.com/
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

Would anyone consider a vote for Gary Johnson?  He's running on the Libertarian Party ticket.  What I've read of him, I like, although I haven't done an in-depth analysis.  I don't have any delusions he'll win, but some votes for him could help to make a statement, at least, that some of us are not happy with the way things are. 

I don't think I'll be voting for the other two.  At some point, I feel you have to take a stand.  A vote for either Obama or Romney is a vote for the status quo, IMHO.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Is Ralph Nader running?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

I may vote for Johnson.  If I thought there were any chance that Obama could take Texas, I probably wouldn't, though.

Interestingly a number of my liberal friends have said that they're also voting for Johnson, since they don't like a lot of what Obama's been doing (primarily related to wars and spying, I believe).  Probably they also feel like they can do this since Obama's not going to win Texas anyway.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

hoost wrote: Would anyone consider a vote for Gary Johnson?  He's running on the Libertarian Party ticket.  What I've read of him, I like, although I haven't done an in-depth analysis.  I don't have any delusions he'll win, but some votes for him could help to make a statement, at least, that some of us are not happy with the way things are. 
I'm probably going to vote for him. Living in California makes voting easy since regardless of who you choose, the slimy corrupt Democrats always win anyway.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van »

hoost wrote: Would anyone consider a vote for Gary Johnson?  He's running on the Libertarian Party ticket.  What I've read of him, I like, although I haven't done an in-depth analysis.  I don't have any delusions he'll win, but some votes for him could help to make a statement, at least, that some of us are not happy with the way things are. 
Yes, I probably will, because ...
hoost wrote: I don't think I'll be voting for the other two.  At some point, I feel you have to take a stand.  A vote for either Obama or Romney is a vote for the status quo, IMHO.
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I figured I would just write-in Ron Paul again like I did in 2008.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

MediumTex wrote: I figured I would just write-in Ron Paul again like I did in 2008.
That's my other option.  I'm not sure which I'll do.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Simonjester wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:
hoost wrote: Would anyone consider a vote for Gary Johnson? He's running on the Libertarian Party ticket. What I've read of him, I like, although I haven't done an in-depth analysis. I don't have any delusions he'll win, but some votes for him could help to make a statement, at least, that some of us are not happy with the way things are.
I'm probably going to vote for him. Living in California makes voting easy since regardless of who you choose, the slimy corrupt Democrats always win anyway.
true
MediumTex wrote: I figured I would just write-in Ron Paul again like I did in 2008.
Ditto.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Apportionment changes between 2000 and 2010 Census:

[align=center]Image[/align]

My best guess at the swing states: Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Colorado, Nevada.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Illinois? Nah. That's the big O's home state! I'm from there and I can tell you that Illinois is probably the dirtiest place of them all. It'll always be a blue state even if they have to start registering dogs and cats to vote. Same for New Jersey, really. Wisconsin, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Nevada all look pretty blue to me too.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

MangoMan wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: Illinois? Nah. That's the big O's home state! I'm from there and I can tell you that Illinois is probably the dirtiest place of them all. It'll always be a blue state even if they have to start registering dogs and cats to vote.
true, dat
sweet home Chicago
Chicago; where the motto is vote early and often.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Pointedstick wrote: Illinois? Nah. That's the big O's home state! I'm from there and I can tell you that Illinois is probably the dirtiest place of them all. It'll always be a blue state even if they have to start registering dogs and cats to vote. Same for New Jersey, really. Wisconsin, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Nevada all look pretty blue to me too.
It doesn't look like I was too far off.  Replace Illinois with Iowa, Pennsylvania with Virginia, Michigan with New Hampshire and drop New Jersey.  My original list was picked because those are the states that you absolutely need to win a majority of to acquire all the electoral votes (except Nevada and Colorado); they're usually swing states but not always.

Florida 29 - Swing Democratic
Illinois 20 - Democratic
Pennsylvania 20 - Democratic
Ohio 18 - Swing Democratic
Michigan 16 - Democratic
New Jersey 14 - Democratic
Wisconsin 10 - Swing Democratic

Democratic Total: 71
Swing Total: 57

Colorado 6 - Swing Democratic
Nevada 6 - Swing Democratic
Iowa 6 -Swing Democratic
Virginia 13 - Swing Democratic
New Hampshire 4 - Swing Democratic
North Carolina 15 - Swing Republican
Missouri 10 - Swing Republican
Swing Grand Total: 117

The Republicans are huge underdogs here.  One wonders how they ever win any elections if all of the non-farmers and non-Southerners lean Democratic.  It seems like a cultural phenomenom.