What are your favorite online news sources?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

What are your favorite online news sources?

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm tired of most of the sensationalist mainstream news sites out there.  I respect the opinions and thoughtful discussions on this forum and am curious to know where everyone goes to get their news.  Any suggestions?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What are your favorite online news sources?

Post by MediumTex » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 pm

I look at http://thebrowser.com/ every day.

It posts long form journalism and just generally interesting stuff that isn't upsetting.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:32 pm

You're already looking at it!  ;D
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 pm

RIP Marcello Gandini
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:13 pm

I get the daily digest from The Daily Capitalist.  I guess it's probably not a "news source", but has a lot of posts and commentary on various topics from an Austrian perspective.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Hoost, I just went to that page and added it to my favorites.
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:17 pm

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Was named the most balanced news source not to long ago.  I got a kick out of that because it means that the news media is so biased to the left that it makes this site looks far right.
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Reub, I'm glad you find it worth book marking; I hope you enjoy it.

Bean, I've heard of Drudge Report many times, but never bothered to check it out until now.  Thanks for the recommendation.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:11 am

Bean wrote: http://www.drudgereport.com/

Was named the most balanced news source not to long ago.  I got a kick out of that because it means that the news media is so biased to the left that it makes this site looks far right.
Its not balanced, its right-wing.  Try BBC UK or Al Jezeera for balanced.  Theres too much media censorship in the US.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
chrish
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by chrish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:48 am

MachineGhost wrote: Its not balanced, its right-wing.  Try BBC UK or Al Jezeera for balanced.  Theres too much media censorship in the US.
Funnily enough, the right wing press in the UK constantly moan about the perceived left wing bias within the BBC!
Last edited by chrish on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 am

MachineGhost wrote:

Its not balanced, its right-wing.  Try BBC UK or Al Jezeera for balanced.  Theres too much media censorship in the US.
I think drudge focuses on "news" as best they can.  Especially since the lines between news and opinion are so heavily blurred these days.  It seems more up to the person consuming the information to ensure they have all the facts before agreeing with news commentator.
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:35 am

Bean wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:

I think drudge focuses on "news" as best they can.  Especially since the lines between news and opinion are so heavily blurred these days.  It seems more up to the person consuming the information to ensure they have all the facts before agreeing with news commentator.
What you get with the Drudge Report is a mix of interesting and off the wall stories, combined with a Fox News-type filter for the mainstream news stories.

I like it, but I know what I'm getting when I go there.

Drudge also has entertaining running "Drudge grudges" against certain people and organizations, including Janet Napolitano and the TSA.  Napolitano is always simply referred to as "Big Sis."

Occasionally, you will find a convergence of all of Drudge's favorite topics in a single news story, such as the recent Homeland Security scandal in which "Big Sis's" female cronies and minions were accused of sexually harassing male colleagues in a series of pretty lowbrow activities.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:35 pm

There's an interesting story on that page right now:
Drug Dealers in Brazil ban sale of crack, claim it destabilizes communities :o
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/brazil-d ... -crack-rio
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:30 pm

MediumTex wrote: I look at http://thebrowser.com/ every day.
Thank you for this pointer!  Never heard of this before, but it's a terrific site.  Very thoughtful stories and a refreshing absence of sensationalism.  And, I'm really enjoying the article on the borders of ancient Rome.

I'd previously stuck with international news such as UK newspapers and the Economist, but there's nothing I'd point to as an excellent source.  As far U.S. mainstream news sources, I don't think they're biased particularly to the left or the right, except for Fox News where the bias is painfully obvious.  I just think they're lazy and half-a**ed.  They just pass along news releases and whatever the soundbite du jour may be, with no intervening thought process or any kind of considered analysis.  Their main function, as I see it, is mass entertainment and providing fodder for the Daily Show.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:40 pm

I believe that almost all of the U.S. news sites are biased way left. Fox is the only one that is fair.
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:01 am

The "Jesse cafe amercain" website has a bunch of links every day to current news etc. The collection of links constantly has a very eclectic global mix. I suppose it is a bit like having a news DJ.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Mulla Nasrudin
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 am

WiseOne wrote: As far U.S. mainstream news sources, I don't think they're biased particularly to the left or the right, except for Fox News where the bias is painfully obvious.  I just think they're lazy and half-a**ed.  They just pass along news releases and whatever the soundbite du jour may be, with no intervening thought process or any kind of considered analysis.  Their main function, as I see it, is mass entertainment and providing fodder for the Daily Show.
Reub wrote:I believe that almost all of the U.S. news sites are biased way left. Fox is the only one that is fair.
Biased or not, Rachel Maddow stated that she would rather read an American newspaper than a UK one any day of the week, finding them of much higher quality. (And yes, Maddow is American, so obviously she doesn't have the final word on the topic by any means. Still, she seems like the kind of person who would admit that UK sources were better if she felt that way).
As for me, I love my 'Economist' and I also love my 'New York Times'.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:33 am

dualstow wrote: As for me, I love my 'Economist' and I also love my 'New York Times'.
Careful about the NY Times.  It has a few very quirky biases, such as being fanatically supportive of Israel.  (Sorry, should have listed this paper along with Fox as among the most biased news outlets.)  Also I haven't particularly appreciated their out and out war on doctors in the opinion pages.  Try the Los Angeles Times instead - it's equal in quality and more even handed.

I like the Economist too - note that it is from the UK!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 am

WiseOne, I agree. I'm supportive* of Israel and even I think the NYT goes too far. I balance with other papers, including some which are accused of having a conservative bias. No source is perfect. Can't always learn about Qatari or Bahrain protests from Al Jazeera, lol.

Yes, the 'E' is from the UK- my point was that I appreciate both UK and US sources.  :)

*and critical.
WiseOne wrote:
dualstow wrote: As for me, I love my 'Economist' and I also love my 'New York Times'.
Careful about the NY Times.  It has a few very quirky biases, such as being fanatically supportive of Israel.  (Sorry, should have listed this paper along with Fox as among the most biased news outlets.)  Also I haven't particularly appreciated their out and out war on doctors in the opinion pages.  Try the Los Angeles Times instead - it's equal in quality and more even handed.

I like the Economist too - note that it is from the UK!

Last edited by dualstow on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

dualstow wrote: Yes, the 'E' is from the UK- my point was that I appreciate both UK and US sources.  :)
Sorry dualstow....misread that.

I'm probably a bit more sensitive to pro-Israel biases than most, so I may have overreacted a bit.  My mother's family is Palestinian, originally from Bethlehem.  The family experiences do not match well with official history & viewpoints, which makes the bias even more obvious to me.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:11 am

WiseOne wrote: I'm probably a bit more sensitive to pro-Israel biases than most, so I may have overreacted a bit.  My mother's family is Palestinian, originally from Bethlehem.  The family experiences do not match well with official history & viewpoints, which makes the bias even more obvious to me.
You know what's strange? I bought both a New York Times and a WSJ from a chatty checkout woman at my local grocery -- was taking a break from the Internet for the weekend -- and she complained that the NYT, among other things, was "too critical" of Israel. She is Arab-American. I guess there are opinion pieces on both sides, but I was pretty surprised to hear her viewpoint.
RIP Marcello Gandini
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Not that I read it, but http://www.DEBKA.com is the Israeli equivalent to Fox and WorldDailyNews, i.e. right wing, NeoCon.  You'll likely read a story there first before it hits mainstream media outlets.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:13 pm

I wonder about the phrase "fanatical support of Israel".

Funny, I've never heard the phrase "fanatical support of Great Britain". Or "fanatical support of Australia".
Or France. Or South Korea. Or Poland. Or Japan. Or Haiti.
Last edited by Reub on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Reub, the USA very wisely did not leap in to aid the UK during the Falklands war. I guess any US media that had suggested that the US should would quite rightly have been accused of fanatical support for the UK ???
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Mulla Nasrudin
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:55 pm

kottke.org and boingboing.net are great for the new and strange.
Very interesting content every day.
RIP Marcello Gandini