Who Would Be Better For The PP- Obama or Romney?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Who Would Be Better For The PP- Obama or Romney?

Post by Reub »

Leaving all politics aside, which one of these 2 Presidential candidates do you think would add more value to the PP, Obama or Romney, or does it make a difference?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who Would Be Better For The PP- Obama or Romney?

Post by Ad Orientem »

That's like asking me to choose between the gas chamber and the electric chair.

[Edit: No, I don't think it makes a difference. Political rhetoric aside they are both very close philosophically and on most policy issues.]
Last edited by Ad Orientem on Mon May 07, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

if the incumbent returns to office, we might learn why HB insisted on holding assets outside your country...in fact we likely will regardless (assuming its not Dr. Paul)...due to FATCA & Dodd-Frank.

Also, we may also learn how the PP performs when a nation-state loses status of world's reserve currency in terms of preserving purchasing power....again, assuming Dr. Paul isn't elected. I see no reason to have any confidence that either major candidate will get US finances in order to instill long-term confidence. The incumbent wants the state to grow & grow and hand out benefits to his expanding constituency. Romney wants to maintain the endless war-fare state.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote: Leaving all politics aside, which one of these 2 Presidential candidates do you think would add more value to the PP, Obama or Romney, or does it make a difference?
Leaving all milk content aside, let's compare these two cheeses...
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Romney and Obama are hard to tell apart.

George W. Bush and Obama are hard to tell apart for that matter, other than Bush was a little easier on the oil and gas industry.

There are pressures that basically mold almost any candidate into a pretty tight space once they take office.  The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are great examples.  Obama campaigned on "change", but here we are still in Afghanistan chasing around ghosts.  Iraq did end, but that seemed like it was more Iraq's idea than Obama's.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

I predict steady, "boring" returns regardless of what happens in the Presidential race.  :)
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Lone Wolf, I like your prediction!  :)

I just saw this article by Jim Rickards:

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/eco ... y-policies

In part he says : "The United States needs to innovate, not cheapen, its way to export success. Romney should embrace the Reagan strong dollar model and reject the cheap dollar policies of Obama. If Romney sticks to the Obama cheap dollar policy, then the next election will guarantee increased inflation—regardless of who wins."
Last edited by Reub on Tue May 08, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

dualstow wrote:
Reub wrote: Leaving all politics aside, which one of these 2 Presidential candidates do you think would add more value to the PP, Obama or Romney, or does it make a difference?
Leaving all milk content aside, let's compare these two cheeses...
Leaving test drives aside, let's compare these two cars...
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

How about:

Leaving all physical, mental, and emotional aspects aside, which of these two women would make the better mother, lover, provider, and companion?  Which woman would be more likely to insure future positive prospects for our household?  Which woman would be more likely to keep a dog rather than eat it?  Who would be the least likely to use smoke and mirrors to educate potential children?  Who would be most likely to serve Vegisnacks (remember those?) to dinner friends?  Who would be more likely to say "Where's the beef? (remember that one?)  And so on, ad nauseum.  

I think I'll vote for hope and change since from 2008 to now the "hope" part seems to have gone down the tubes and the "change" part is not for the better (just my humble opinion).

;D ;D
Last edited by Mountaineer on Tue May 08, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
jackely

Post by jackely »

This is unknowable.

Which is why I like the PP.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

Rickards suggests that it won't matter...as their policies are essentially the same

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/eco ... y-policies
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Obama.

MG
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
lazyboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lazyboy »

I don't know which candidate will add value to the PP. I don't think it matters. As others here have said, the position of President comes with certain built in bagage and expectation that are designed to further the interests of the American empire for good or ill or a, maybe, mixture of both. And within that framework, we all have our own policy preferences.

However, I did find this quote amusing:

“For we have entered the age of quantum politics; and Mitt Romney is the first quantum politician. In much the same way that light is both a particle and a wave, Mitt Romney is both a moderate and a conservative, depending on the situation. It is not that he is one or the other; it is not that he is one and then the other. He is both at the same time. No human being can ever simultaneously know both what Mitt Romney's current position is and where that position will be at some future date.  According to the latest theories, the “Mitt Romney”? who seems poised to be the Republican nominee is but one of countless Mitt Romneys, each occupying his own cosmos, each supporting a different platform, all of them equally valid and all of them running for president at the same time, in their own alternative Romnealities, somewhere in the vast Romniverse. ...And all of them losing to Barack Obama.”?

Condensed from David Javerbaum, N.Y. Times, March 31

Of course, something similar could be said about Obama in terms of his caving to special monied interest, etc. I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast and goes with the territory. But the quote does remind me of "doublethink" from Orwell's 1984. And yes, I agree, with the prediction. Unless Obama falters or truly doesn't want the job- it's his for the taking. 
Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most.�

Sitting Bull