YouTube Junkie

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:37 am

For Vil (full disclosure: I only got through a few seconds).

https://youtu.be/YT5FWdPuEfA
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Alexander The Great's speech after the Opis Mutiny, 2345 years old. As told by Arrian.

Fucking savage.

"I eat what you eat. I get no more rest than you. Many times I have spent the night on watch, so that you can sleep soundly. Who among you thinks he has worked harder for me than I have for him? Come on! If you've got scars, strip! I'll show you mine! There isn't one part of my body, the front, at least, that doesn't bear a wound. My body's covered in scars from every weapon you can think of: swords, arrows, stones, clubs... All for the sake of your lives."
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:35 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 am
It is (arguably) better that SJW types have switched from being improper grammar-Nazis, "OMG, did you hear that guy call Fern a 'she' when Fern prefers 'they' since they is non-gender identified?! I'm gonna call him a white nationalist on Twitter!"

to being public health-Nazis with their social distancing obsession, "OMG did you see how close they were standing?! They could kill somebody! I'm gonna take a picture and put it on Twitter!"
I disavow.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 am

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:03 am

Ben Carlson brought me here

https://youtu.be/DDjpOrlfh0Y
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:05 pm

@mathjak107

Can do?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:18 pm

I've been enjoying the Uneducated Economist lately.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkB8eF ... m1BeCZgQ9A
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 am

What skills did you work on during lockdown?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun May 16, 2021 9:30 am

For Jalanlong....

Stumbled across movie you got your avatar from :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrcp78eu5Fw
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:13 pm

Lately I've been binging this YouTube channel called OverSimplified. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNIuvl ... pTmmNIqP2A

It's a channel that educates viewers on topics such as history and political science in a condensed manner.

I love learning about stuff like this, but since my day-to-day work is totally unrelated, having this "big pictures" option is great.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:02 am

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:51 pm

How Deadly Are Shotguns. Garand Thumb.

I recently inherited a 12 gauge pump that I haven't shot yet. I now feel like shooting anything but a ballistic gel with organs and bone would just be... lame.

I was SHOCKED that he was using wood for his target stands instead of something more economical, like copper.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:14 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:51 pm
How Deadly Are Shotguns. Garand Thumb.

I recently inherited a 12 gauge pump that I haven't shot yet. I now feel like shooting anything but a ballistic gel with organs and bone would just be... lame.

I was SHOCKED that he was using wood for his target stands instead of something more economical, like copper.
Very informative video! And congratulations on your gun. A pump action shotgun makes one of the greatest sounds in the world.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:32 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

y2mate.com has discontinued their service. Anyone want to recommend another site that converts youtube into mp3?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:14 am
Very informative video! And congratulations on your gun. A pump action shotgun makes one of the greatest sounds in the world.
Thank you, by the way. Shotguns are pretty sick.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:37 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:32 pm

y2mate.com has discontinued their service. Anyone want to recommend another site that converts youtube into mp3?
Looks like it might work outside of USA, UK, and maybe Australia. Try a VPN?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:24 pm

VPNs are the things you have to pay for?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:06 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:24 pm

VPNs are the things you have to pay for?

I believe some are free? Pugchief, don't you use a free one?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:47 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:32 pm

Also looking. So far found this https://www.salvo.rocks/engine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmW4IIcwBo "might be a bag of oats"
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:59 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:02 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:53 pm
The Bronze Age Collapse.
Another one, with more detail and higher production value.

I like the passage from the first video:
As we get into the late Bronze Age, the region was in the midst of a chariot arms race. And then... the Sea Peoples came.

Unlike the Bronze age civilizations of Western Asia, the Sea Peoples fought on foot. Instead of using spearmen and archers to form a defensive shield for their chariots, the Sea People wielded longswords and javelins, and fought with an unmatched aggression.

I've seen the Sea Peoples described as skirmishers... but I don't think that quite covers it. A much better word I've seen used is

Runners.
Doesn't that just give you the mental image of 28 Days Later-style psychopaths? I'm imagining the Med civs would send out their chariots thinking they were about to fuck up these retards who didn't even have chariots, only to see crazed demons sprint out and drag the charioteers down and hack them apart with swords, drink their blood, and then charge en masse into a line of spears who are all shitting their pants.
I finished 1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Cline recently, recommended.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:57 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:18 pm
Drone video of MSG John Chapman's fight on Takur Ghar, for which he was posthumously awarded the Medal Of Honor.
The drone operators wrote a book (Never Mind, We'll Do It Ourselves: How a Team of Renegades Broke Rules, Shattered Barriers, and Launched a Drone Warfare Revolution) with their perspective, excerpts below:
“We may have a man down at the initial point of attack, and we’re probably the best asset to find him. We’re working the CAOC to get in there, but in the meantime, keep looking around for the needle in a haystack.”

I glanced at the clock. A bare few minutes had ticked by, minutes that felt like an eternity waiting for the gears of authority to give a grudging turn. It was hard to imagine what time felt like on the snow-covered ridge below. Even from this distance, we could see that the whole damn ridgetop was rippling with enemy fire.

I churned through the few facts on hand. Razor Zero-Three now sat in a smoking heap in the valley. The Navy SEALs on board were already humping their way back up the mountain to rescue the man they’d lost—seven miles straight up in deep snow with shit-thin air, with a lot of bad guys in the way. A flash of pride cut through the storm of emotions inside me. “No man left behind” wasn’t just a marketing slogan.

The second chopper, Razor Zero-Four, flew straight into the meat-grinder to drop its own team of SEALs, call sign Mako 30, on the ridge. By the sound of things, the Taliban had a lot more guys on the mountain than anybody expected. A continuous rain of heavy machine guns and RPGs were pushing the SEALs back off the mountaintop.
A flash of heat cut across the screen, a streak of white against a background of gray in the monochrome eye of thermal imaging.

“What the fuck was that?” Darran was in the mission-commander seat, leaning forward to stare at the screen as the glowing blob of helicopter thumped down hard on the mountaintop.

“Holy shit,” Genghis snarled, “I think we just lost a chopper.”

Andy zoomed in and out, slewing the camera to find the shooter.

A Chinook looks like an Oscar Meyer Wienermobile with rotors above both ends. As targets go, a hovering Chinook is like the broad side of a barn. The huge ramp door at the ass end of the chopper dropped open, and guys scrambled out, guns firing.

In the ghost-gray of infrared, we saw the explosion of black as the RPG slammed into the Chinook. Through the distant IR view, every rock, shrub, and crevice lit up with the starburst of muzzle flash. The helo lurched, side-slipped, and dropped out of the sky. It slammed down on the snowy peak in a spray of burning debris, the giant rotor blades slowly churning to a stop.

“Probably Razor Zero-One or Zero-Two.” The intercom voice came from the double-wide.

Call signs were a best guess for us at this point, just what we could pick up on radio. We were twelve miles away. Our mission was farther north, our presence here little more than a drive-by. Being there when the shit hit the fan was only happenstance.

That fan was Takur Ghar, a rugged ten-thousand-foot peak jutting up along the eastern edge of the Shahi-Kot valley. This was Taliban country, the kind of rugged stronghold that helped predecessors stand off the might of the Soviet Union years before. Judging from the AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System) overhead, and the AC-130 that had lapped through just beforehand, whatever was playing out on that jagged spike of rock was a big deal, something to which we hadn’t been invited.

In an instant, Genghis was on it, immediately requesting AWACS clear us into the airspace. It wasn’t budging. “They said they already had assets in the area,” she called out. As best she could, she explained that we weren’t some run-of-the mill observation platform—we had fangs. But despite her pushing, she was told to “stand by.”

. . .

It was time for me to swap seats with Darran. Alec hit the line first, reading my mind. Watching the same feed we had, he led off with, “Go direct with the ground; you’ve got whatever support you need from here.”

That was exactly what I wanted to hear. With warfighters in mortal peril this was no time to discuss interagency agendas or conflicting mission priorities. On his own authority Alec had just chucked our existing task and committed the full weight of the CIA behind saving American lives.

“We’re reaching out to the CAOC Predator LNO now,” I responded, snapping hand gestures to people around the GCS. No matter what the urgency, barging into controlled airspace in a crisis was a sure way to get shot out of the sky. It’s one thing to play cat and mouse with MiG fighters, but I wasn’t about to have a midair with one of ours. I shifted my focus.

The guys on the mountain continued to take fire. I don’t think the bad guys were all that surprised, I grumbled inwardly. By the looks of things, the bad guys had a pretty good idea we were coming.

Even from this distance we could see damage to both sides of the wrecked Chinook as rounds tore in one side and out the other. The inside of the helo had to feel like a garbage disposal. Bodies scrambled out the wide rear door, guns blazing. Some fought their way to scant cover; others dropped motionless on the edge of the ramp.

Still wrangling for clearance to enter the fight, we could only watch in horror.

Somebody on the ground started calling for air support. Identifying himself as Slick Zero-One, the beleaguered Airman had to split his bandwidth between moving, shooting, ducking, and coordinating an ad hoc air strike on what amounted to his own position. From ground level, he described the primary source of enemy fire as coming from a bunker some fifty to seventy-five meters uphill from the nose of the helo. Stealing glimpses between bullet strikes, he had to see the rise as a gravel wall speckled with muzzle-flash.
The long and the short of it was that we were about to send a Hellfire missile screaming over their heads. Trying to explain it to Slick Zero-One would have been like trying to describe a one-mile sniper shot to a guy in a nose-to-nose pistol battle.

In this case, though, the sniper analogy was a little unsettling. We weren’t a mile away; we were over two miles above a ten-thousand-foot peak. With only fifty meters separating a hit dead-on the enemy from one dead-on our own men, our margin of error was somewhere on the order of one-quarter of one degree. Factor in for the blast and frag radius, and we could cut that margin to about an eighth of one degree. In sniper parlance, a one-eighth minute of angle shot was akin to hitting an aspirin dead-center from a football field away. Miss that shot by just the diameter of the bullet, and good guys die. Add to that freezing cold and high-altitude winds, and a team that had been on-station for the last fifteen hours. But if we don’t take the shot, everybody dies. Nah, we had no pressure at all.

But if anyone around me was aware of the difficulty, it didn’t show. I watched my team perform like it had on every other shot, with skill and precision and no skipped steps and no shortcuts. Nobody was unprepared. It all came down to this.

The optic ball tracked smoothly as Wildfire swept in, and I ran through the final checklist: “Missile Armed. Laser on. Lasing. Confirm Lasing.”

Gun flashes burned from inside the bunker, the massive forked flare of a heavy machine gun centered on the screen.

American voices were on the radio, nearly drowned out by the chatter of gunfire.

“3 … 2 … 1 … Rifle.”
via link
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVuxKTJeBI&t=396s

Michio Kaku with 3 predictions about the future. Unlike Nostradamus they are based on technology that already exists.

1.) Interplanetary travel - it is already possible to send a small payload to a distant earth-like planet.

2.) Steven Hawking had some device in his glasses that allowed him to communicate telepathically with a computer.

3.) It is already possible to detect cancer cells in your poop.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:55 am

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:27 am