Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:58 am

glennds wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:23 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm

Great version of this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fUv_hoMXU

Within You Without You Easy Star All-Stars

Vinny, look up the whole album. Easy All Stars did a complete reggae version of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, beginning to end. They also did one for Dark Side of the Moon. Both are really good.

I think that after I posted the above I did listen to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:21 pm

Current mood: Gasoline.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:24 am

I won't bother with links because it's rather obscure, but I've been going down the rabbit hole of UNIX & computer nostalgia -- Bell Labs in 1982; Brian Kernighan explaining how grep came about; etc. I bet you'd get a kick out of it, Smithers, if you haven't already.

And yes, Vinny, there's a Led Fridman episode featuring Brian Kernighan.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:51 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:24 am
Brian Kernighan explaining
Still can recall how bored I felt as one of our IT teachers was constantly repeating that Kernighan and Ritchie C is different from ANSI C. Though can't recall which of the two we were supposed to really learn ... Sometimes I get in that special mood, you know, and start reading in Wikipedia about all those IT titans from the past (modern age 'heroes' look like opportunistic rookies compared to them)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:43 am

Vil wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:51 am
dualstow wrote:
Still can recall how bored I felt as one of our IT teachers was constantly repeating that Kernighan and Ritchie C is different from ANSI C.
O0

I'm not a programmer, but I did take a C class long after graduation. I was kind of out of my depth. BASIC was great fun when I was a kid in the 80's. A whole new world. C was...memory management.

Still, I love watching these old fogies talk about regular expressions and their origins in mathematics.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:06 pm

dualstow wrote:

I won't bother with links because it's rather obscure, but I've been going down the rabbit hole of UNIX & computer nostalgia -- Bell Labs in 1982; Brian Kernighan explaining how grep came about; etc. I bet you'd get a kick out of it, Smithers, if you haven't already.

And yes, Vinny, there's a Led Fridman episode featuring Brian Kernighan.

That is an old, old, old one!

I was not even aware of Lex back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9upVbGSBFo
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:08 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:43 am

Vil wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:51 am

dualstow wrote:

Still can recall how bored I felt as one of our IT teachers was constantly repeating that Kernighan and Ritchie C is different from ANSI C.
O0

I'm not a programmer, but I did take a C class long after graduation. I was kind of out of my depth. BASIC was great fun when I was a kid in the 80's. A whole new world. C was...memory management.

Still, I love watching these old fogies talk about regular expressions and their origins in mathematics.

Memory management in terms of computer memory? Not in terms of one's own memory.

Being far older than you my first exposure to computer languages was Fortran (correct?) in 1969. I was definitely not a natural at it. I think that when I went back to college in the mid-70s that it was then Basic had replaced Fortran?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pm

I remember Fortran. Gave me nightmares!
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pm

Thank you. Then it was not just me who did was not immediately drawn to it. Was it phased out and replaced by Fortran sometime between 1969 and 1975?

Since you are a few years older than me you probably well remember this scenario.

You'd submit the keypunched cards to the college computing center for them to run it under batch processing along with everyone else's programs. If you got it to them early enough in the morning you could get a late afternoon output giving you the error message that you'd left out a "(" somewhere. You'd fix that so it could be run overnight which then to you finding out the next morning that you'd left another "(" out somewhere else. How were programs ever created back then??!!

I was astonished when I went back to college in 1975 and was able to sit at a terminal, create my program, submit it on the spot, and have it run immediately. That was truly like going from The Dark Ages to the Age of Enlightenment!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Thank you. Then it was not just me who did was not immediately drawn to it. Was it phased out and replaced by Fortran sometime between 1969 and 1975?

Since you are a few years older than me you probably well remember this scenario.

You'd submit the keypunched cards to the college computing center for them to run it under batch processing along with everyone else's programs. If you got it to them early enough in the morning you could get a late afternoon output giving you the error message that you'd left out a "(" somewhere. You'd fix that so it could be run overnight which then to you finding out the next morning that you'd left another "(" out somewhere else. How were programs ever created back then??!!

I was astonished when I went back to college in 1975 and was able to sit at a terminal, create my program, submit it on the spot, and have it run immediately. That was truly like going from The Dark Ages to the Age of Enlightenment!
Horrors! O those punch cards that ran on an IBM 360. I remember a 3 hour Fortran computer course somewhere in the 1969-70 timeframe where I was taking 21 semester hours. I was spending more time on the Fortran course than on the other 18 hours combined. I dropped the Fortran course at the last moment to be able to “withdraw passing” with no credit. Double nightmares!!!!!!!!
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:08 pm

Yes, Vinny- computer memory management.
I was used to doing fun stuff and BASIC (on a Texas Instruments computer) made it easy. With C you can actually get real stuff done, but it was too obtuse for the tiny particle of brain lodged in my skull. Hence, my constant failures with Linux.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:47 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:

Horrors! O those punch cards that ran on an IBM 360. I remember a 3 hour Fortran computer course somewhere in the 1969-70 timeframe where I was taking 21 semester hours. I was spending more time on the Fortran course than on the other 18 hours combined. I dropped the Fortran course at the last moment to be able to “withdraw passing” with no credit. Double nightmares!!!!!!!!

I had a similar experience with my second computer science in exactly the second semester of that 1969 - 1970 academic year. I just could not grasp the concept of bits and bytes (while about 30 years later I came to understand it quite well) ... I decided I am never going to get this and it is a waste of my time spending any more time on this fruitless pursuit. I calculated what my GPA would be with an F in this course and decided it could stand it. Buried the book in my closet so I would not be tempted to spend any more time on it.

I was rescued by Kent State wherein in its aftermath we were giving choices for each course of taking a grade, pass / fail. or dropping the course with no penalty. The latter is what I did with that course. I was all excited that I was finally going to be getting all A's for the first time in my life that I chose to take grades for both Calculus IV (differential equations) and Gym. I was shocked when I only got a B in gym!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:19 pm

Thanks to Dualstow introducing us all to these two extremely talented sister.

All the covers that they do are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs79I7d ... 3&index=32

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - MonaLisa Twins (The Beatles Cover)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:24 pm

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:00 pm

Save Ferris - Come On Eileen (orig. Dexys Midnight Runners)

They appropriated the ballads of my people, but it's good.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwtyn-L ... A&index=20

The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil (Official Video) [4K]
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:00 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:00 pm
Save Ferris - Come On Eileen (orig. Dexys Midnight Runners)

They appropriated the ballads of my people, but it's good.
Powerful voice. We sing that to the cat, replacing ‘Eileen’ with her name when we’re trying to get her to come up to bed.
I love that there’s a band called ‘Save Ferris.’
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 pm

Birthgap

Part 1 of a documentary on collapsing birthrates (it looks like the creator is trying to release the full documentary on a streaming service). I like how he made his maps look. Like diseased cells.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:51 pm

> maps look like diseased cells.

@19minutes

And a random youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uOeTcGjRDA
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:11 pm

Not sure if this was posted. I searched only for the link here, not the title.

belangp - suspension of shareholder rights in Switzerland - 1min53sec

https://youtu.be/2ZVf0KlKa3Y
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 23, 2023 1:32 pm

I wanted to post a clip of Magneto and his cohorts walking on those metal steps in mid-air that keep replacing themselves to form a bridge.
I was going to call it my bond ladder.
Ah well. If you’ve seen the film, just … visualize it. Bond ladder.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:25 pm

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:57 pm

A local band I've seen many times (and have taken innumerable pictures of) used to have two excellent female singers. They did this song. Thought their version was better than what I saw in the above.

You can be the judge. This is them doing the song from five years ago. They'd already lost one of the excellent female singers and the second female voice is the female bass player's.

https://www.facebook.com/riceanamerican ... 9120400968
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:01 pm

Glory to Hong Kong
https://youtu.be/6yjLlYNFKCg
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:02 pm

Google's telling me this is the logo for Scandinavian Tobacco, which stopped doing business w/Russia.

Some random content https://www.visualcapitalist.com/path-o ... evolution/
Attachments
logo.png
logo.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 15341 times