Cosmos. Consciousness. God.

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Cosmos. Consciousness. God.

Post by MachineGhost »

MediumTex wrote: I wish that there were more opportunities for people to have actual discussions (rather than arguments) involving matters about which there is deep disagreement.  When you are certain you are right about something it can be very hard to maintain a steely respect for someone who sees things in a fundamentally different way. 
Guys, I think you'd love this intellectual show which I just discovered on PBS by accident last year.  It's been on for nine seasons (!!!) so far and I forced myself to stop watching after about 10 episodes just so I could start at the very beginning with DVD's (there might be a logical progression to the episodes).

http://www.closertotruth.com/

MG
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cosmos. Consciousness. God.

Post by Gosso »

This looks pretty neat, I'll check it out.  It's kinda funny because I have started reading some of Carl Sagan's work, so this should blend nicely with that.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones »

How did you get the DVDs?
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD »

I'll play some of these videos later today.  Looks very interesting.  Thanks for sharing!

At first glance, it looks a little like Through the Wormhole by Morgan Freeman, which is my current favorite show. 
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

FarmerD wrote: At first glance, it looks a little like Through the Wormhole by Morgan Freeman, which is my current favorite show. 
I caught a few of those on SyFy a year or two ago, but then it seemed to have disappeared.  I would say Closer to Truth is a lot more intellectual and conversationalist (and very little graphics) than Through the Wormhole.

MG
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

BearBones wrote: How did you get the DVDs?
You got me.  I don't see it at the PBS shop anymore.

MG