Financial Times Article on "Closeted" Atheists

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Financial Times Article on "Closeted" Atheists

Post by Gosso »

stone wrote: Gosso, I saw a TV program about the St Thomas Christians is India. Apparently when the Portuguese first arrived and told the Indians that they had come to spread Christianity; the Indians introduced the Portuguese to the St Thomas Christians who had been established in India by St Thomas who had actually known Jesus personally. Apparently St Thomas restricted evangelism to targeting the tiny Indian Jewish community. The Portuguese viewed the St Thomas Christians as heretics and burnt their books.
That's interesting.  I'm not up to speed on the history of St Thomas, all I know is that once Jesus was resurrected St. Thomas went to India to spread the Gospel or "Good News".  I think there is an Acts of St Thomas in the texts found in Nag Hammadi, but I haven't gone through it.

Regarding DMT and psychedelic drugs, here is an interesting conversation with Joe Rogan (yes I know Joe Rogan is the host of Fear Factor and UFC, but is actually a very interesting guy) discussing his experiences with DMT.  He describes it as "a meeting with God".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6RBOIgt ... re=related
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Lone Wolf wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
Tortoise wrote: People who take fairly large doses of psilocybin (the active ingredient in "magic mushrooms") or dimethyltryptamine (DMT) routinely report having other-worldly experiences that seem remarkably coherent, usually "more real than this reality." The details of their experiences are often uncannily similar to some of the encounters with God or angels described in the Christian Bible, the Koran, etc.
I have traveled the roads of which you speak and I completely agree with you.
You folks just get more interesting every day.  And talk about raising the bar!  After this, who's going to want to hear my stories about experimenting with caffeine?  :)
Here is a picture of me when I was younger:

Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

linteractive-processing wrote: there are some interesting books and studies out there on the entheogen theory of religion that sugest early christianity was a mushroom cult, this website is a bit dry and academic but an interesting read anyway  http://www.egodeath.com/index.html  or if you just want to look at some pictures of mushrooms in early christian artwork http://www.egodeath.com/christianmushroomtrees.htm..
I love it!!!

How on earth could a discussion of early Christianity being a "mushroom cult" possibly be dry and academic?

This idea would give a whole new meaning to the term "mission trip".

Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso »

interactive-procesing wrote:
MediumTex wrote:

I love it!!!

How on earth could a discussion of early Christianity being a "mushroom cult" possibly be dry and academic?

This idea would give a whole new meaning to the term "mission trip".
professors and scholars seeking to justify tenure and prove their braininess to other academic types, can make anything dry and academic..
similar to investment managers trying to justify their high cost funds... :D
interactive-procesing wrote: there are some interesting books and studies out there on the entheogen theory of religion that sugest early christianity was a mushroom cult, this website is a bit dry and academic but an interesting read anyway  http://www.egodeath.com/EntheogenTheoryOfReligion.htm  or if you just want to look at some pictures of mushrooms in early christian artwork http://www.egodeath.com/christianmushroomtrees.htm..
Let's not forget other religions as well.  The worship of cows in Hinduism could likely in-part be due to the psilocybin mushrooms that grew out of their dung.  Here's a quote out of Wikipedia:
The cow was possibly revered because the largely pastoral Vedic people and subsequent generations relied heavily on it for dairy products and for tilling the fields, and on cow dung as a source of fuel, fertilizer, and psilocybin mushrooms which naturally grow out of the animal's own excrement. Thus, the cow’s status as a 'caretaker' led to identifying it as an almost maternal figure (hence the term gau mata). According to Buddhist texts, there was a Hindu sect taught to imitate a cow's acts for reincarnation to deva.
Edit: Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_in_religion
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Hello all,

I just joined the forum.  For some strange reason, this thread is the first one I read.  All I can say is I am greatly impressed by the calm, rational, caring way this "hot topic" is being discussed.  Maybe there is hope for humanity, in spite of what the national news seems to focus on.  :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone »

Hello Mountaineer, severely off topic but are you a mountaineer? I used to like mountaineering and still like rock climbing :) .
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Mulla Nasrudin
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Mountaineer wrote: Hello all,

I just joined the forum.  For some strange reason, this thread is the first one I read.  All I can say is I am greatly impressed by the calm, rational, caring way this "hot topic" is being discussed.  Maybe there is hope for humanity, in spite of what the national news seems to focus on.   :)
If you can slip out of the "I'm right/they're wrong" paradigm, all sorts of interesting discussions are possible.

It is sort of amusing that this was the very first thread you read.  They're not all quite like this one.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

stone wrote: Hello Mountaineer, severely off topic but are you a mountaineer? I used to like mountaineering and still like rock climbing :) .
Only by birth!  You sound like you have a bit more outdoor stamina that I do; those days are behind me.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

stone wrote: I must admit that my view is that reality is very under-rated. I've never taken any drug other than tea but I have had psychosis as a medical condition which apparently is a state of mind like psychadelic drugs (or extended binges of stimulants) bring about. In my opinion it is crap (excuse my French). There is a time and place for mangled states of consciousness and it is called dreaming when your are asleep. We have a wonderful world full of wonderful people. Being able to experience that just as it is, is a gift that is well worth cherishing IMO. Not being able to discern it through a morass of psychosis was for me unmitigatedly horrible.
Your episode with psychosis does sound horrible. With psychedelic substances, though, it is important not to lump all of them into the same category and assume they all have a similar effect on the human mind. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are many, many different types of psychedelic substances, and they can be grouped into completely different categories based on the types of effects they have on consciousness.

For some people, psychedelic substances are tools of exploration, just like telescopes and microscopes--only instead of the physical world, they're exploring the depths of their own consciousness. Most people in our modern world probably just aren't well suited for psychedelic exploration, so they're better off staying away from the substances entirely. But for the few who do have the inclination to explore their consciousness using psychedelics in a responsible manner, I see no harm in allowing them to. If it is a horrible experience for them, they will stop soon enough.

I completely agree with you that this reality is a wonderful gift as it is.
I have also wondered whether the "prophets" of the major religions may simply have been mentally ill people. Perhaps the vast bulk psychotic ramblings were the "false prophets" and those tiny minority who had the good fortune to speak something that struck a chord may have been the "good prophets".
It's possible. A different theory that was put forth by psychologist Julian Jaynes in the 1970s was the bicameral mind hypothesis, which asserted that the human brain used to be divided into two parts--one that "spoke," (like a god) and one that listened and obeyed:
Jaynes built a case for this hypothesis that human brains existed in a bicameral state until as recently as 3000 years ago by citing evidence from many diverse sources including historical literature. He took an interdisciplinary approach, drawing data from many different fields. Jaynes asserted that, until roughly the times written about in Homer's Iliad, humans did not generally have the self-awareness characteristic of consciousness as most people experience it today. Rather, the bicameral individual was guided by mental commands believed to be issued by external "gods" — commands which were recorded in ancient myths, legends and historical accounts. This is exemplified not only in the commands given to characters in ancient epics but also the very muses of Greek mythology which "sang" the poems: the ancients literally heard muses as the direct source of their music and poetry.

For example, in the Iliad and sections of the Old Testament no mention is made of any kind of cognitive processes such as introspection, and there is no apparent indication that the writers were self-aware. According to Jaynes, the older portions of the Old Testament (such as the Book of Amos) have few or none of the features of some later books of the Old Testament (such as Ecclesiastes) as well as later works such as Homer's Odyssey, which show indications of a profoundly different kind of mentality — an early form of consciousness. However the Epic of Gilgamesh, considered by many historians to be the oldest known recorded story (ca. 2000-2100 BC), features characters whose actions are deeply rooted in introspection and dream analysis.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameral_mind
Last edited by Tortoise on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone »

Tortoise, I can see what you are saying but to me it seems merely like putting a magnet on top of a TV. I don't see doing that as opening up a portal to a perception of TV presenters with novel strange shapes. I just see that as screwing up your TV with a magnet. Same thing with brain function.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Mulla Nasrudin
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

stone wrote: Tortoise, I can see what you are saying but to me it seems merely like putting a magnet on top of a TV. I don't see doing that as opening up a portal to a perception of TV presenters with novel strange shapes. I just see that as screwing up your TV with a magnet. Same thing with brain function.
Some would say that certain experiences are like taking the magnet off of the TV for a little while.
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso »

There have been studies completed recently that show psilocybin could be used as an anti-depressant.  The news story below is entitled "Magic mushroom trips point to new depression drugs":

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... C620120123
The brains of people tripping on magic mushrooms have given the best picture yet of how psychedelic drugs work and British scientists say the findings suggest such drugs could be used to treat depression.

Two separate studies into the effects of psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, showed that contrary to scientists' expectations, it does not increase but rather suppresses activity in areas of the brain that are also dampened with other anti-depressant treatments.
The key areas of the brain identified -- one called the medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) and another called the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC) -- are the subject of debate among neuroscientists, but the PCC is thought by many to have a role in consciousness and self-identity.

The mPFC is known to be hyperactive in depression, and the researchers pointed out that other key treatments for depression including medicines like Prozac, as well as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and deep brain stimulation, also appear to suppress mPFC activity.

Psilocybin's dampening action on this area may make it a useful and potentially long-acting antidepressant, Carhart-Harris said.
Maybe one day in the future your doctor will be prescribing magic mushrooms...what a weird world that would be.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Tortoise wrote: It's possible. A different theory that was put forth by psychologist Julian Jaynes in the 1970s was the bicameral mind hypothesis, which asserted that the human brain used to be divided into two parts--one that "spoke," (like a god) and one that listened and obeyed:
I've been a fan of Jaynes since I first came across his work in the 90's and I definitely love his ridiculously erudite title.  There is some evidence from metaphysics that he was on the right track.  But I'm not sure it has much application to the modern brain other than maybe the "God wiring".

MG
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone »

I've never heard any complaints from people who have taken mushrooms so I should stop slagging off psychaedelic drugs I guess. They did evolve as a poison so as to prevent animals from choosing to eat them twice though.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

MachineGhost wrote: I've been a fan of Jaynes since I first came across his work in the 90's and I definitely love his ridiculously erudite title.
Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the title of his book, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind? I've seen some pretentious book titles that are far more ridiculous than that one. At least you can tell Jaynes's book title is written in English using words that most people know (including bicameral, which just means "two chambers" and is also used to refer to some legislatures and parliaments).
There is some evidence from metaphysics that he was on the right track.  But I'm not sure it has much application to the modern brain other than maybe the "God wiring".
The reason I view it as an interesting theory is this: If humans thousands of years ago indeed had bicameral minds, then what they thought were "gods" speaking to them and giving them commands back then turned out to be, upon further evolution, just part of their own consciousness. Likewise, some modern-day humans have strange religious or psychedelic experiences that they interpret as God, angels, aliens, or whatever. But upon further evolution in the future, we may discover yet again that those "supernatural" or "alien" experiences were also just part of our own consciousness in disguise--a part of it that merely needed to be integrated with the existing mind to form a more accurate and expanded sense of Self.

Then again, the bicameral mind hypothesis may just be an interesting theory that happens to be incorrect.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Tortoise wrote: The reason I view it as an interesting theory is this: If humans thousands of years ago indeed had bicameral minds, then what they thought were "gods" speaking to them and giving them commands back then turned out to be, upon further evolution, just part of their own consciousness. Likewise, some modern-day humans have strange religious or psychedelic experiences that they interpret as God, angels, aliens, or whatever. But upon further evolution in the future, we may discover yet again that those "supernatural" or "alien" experiences were also just part of our own consciousness in disguise--a part of it that merely needed to be integrated with the existing mind to form a more accurate and expanded sense of Self.
Imagine you turn on your TV one evening and rather than American Idol there is an alien creature speaking like a British actor and he says the following:
People of earth, I am Zog from Orlog.  I have taken over your broadcasting system to deliver an important message to the people of earth.

To begin, and as you will see in a moment, we mean you no harm.  With that out of the way, let me proceed with the message I have come to deliver.  

A characterisitc of the human condition is to experience a sense of longing and the persistent belief that there is something external to yourselves with which you need to have communion, or perhaps re-establish some long lost connection.  This feature of the typical human experience of reality has given rise to countless belief systems, many of which have common features, including a belief in a higher being, a belief in minimizing the role of the self, and strategies for discovering truth and meaning in your lives.

You may look around you and see other animals and wonder how you could have such a similar body structure and chemical composition and yet feel so incredibly different from all other members of the animal kingdom.  You may wonder how the same evolutionary process that led all other life forms to seemingly reach a relatively low plateau of intelligence, awareness and ability to think outside the bounds of survival, somehow led humans to develop this remarkable ability to seemingly transcend the natural world, and even intentionally attempt to escape it through various means.

I am here to provide you with some answers.

First, there are other dimensions to reality that your species occasionally suspects may exist, but which your current senses do not allow you to perceive directly.  It is in these other dimensions that my people primarily reside, though we do visit your dimension occasionally, as I am doing now.

About 150,000 years ago, my people visited your planet and identified a species that had the potential for evolutionary development that could potentially lead to a manifestation of higher intelligence, though it was far from certain that this creature would actually be able to pull off this evolutionary feat, given all of the survival threats that can challenge even the most intelligent and well adapted creatures.  We took members of this species and made certain genetic modifications that would result in rapid evolution of intelligence, consciousness and, most importantly, provide them with a subtle but persistent sense that there is some greater knowledge of existence to be gained through contemplation and seeking.  

We did this because in many ways we view you as our creation, and we do not know how to raise a species from the position of what is essentially a purely instinctive animal whose meaning in life is gained from the next meal or the next night of safety from predators to a higher form of life except by creating a hybrid creature existing somewhere between the two original life forms.  That is who you are.

Virtually all notions of a higher being that you have are essentially a grasping desire to acknowledge me and my people as your creators.  

The bad news, I suppose, and I always end my broadcasts this way, is that the knowledge I have imparted to you this evening is not something that your mind is prepared to fully assimilate at this stage of your development, so approximately five seconds after the end of this broadcast you will completely forget that it ever occurred.  We are doing this to protect the integrity of your mental structures, which are not yet ready for all of the answers we may one day provide.  What you will take away from this experience is a subconscious memory of what you have seen and heard this evening, and that memory will continue to exist just below the surface of your consciousness.  We periodically provide such communications with you because in a sense you are simply a manifestation of us, and we care deeply about that which we have created, and part of that care is expressed in a respect for the current limits of your own perception.  The good news is that this capacity for perception will continue to evolve, and one day we may perhaps commune openly and the dimensional barriers between us will be completely eliminated.

For now, though, best wishes to you, our friends, our children, our creation.
American Idol comes back on TV as people look around for a moment like they might have heard a sound in the distance, and then they return to their normal programming.
Last edited by MediumTex on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van »

TripleB wrote:Maybe a more PP-oriented approach would be index-faithing. Spend 1/10 of your time going to a Catholic Church, 1/10 going to Mormon, 1/10 at Muslim (OK OK maybe wait a few years so you don't wind up on the no-fly list). Then whichever one is "right" you earned some places in the after life.
which made me wonder right away if that means I'd only get 7.2 virgins. Or raisins.
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MediumTex wrote: Imagine you turn on your TV one evening and rather than American Idol there is an alien creature speaking like a British actor and he says the following:
LOL!  Now that would truly be the day when the Earth stood still...

MG
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

MediumTex wrote: Imagine you turn on your TV one evening and rather than American Idol there is an alien creature speaking like a British actor and he says the following:
This is awesome.  I see that those magic mushrooms left behind some good stuff.  :)
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Lone Wolf wrote:
This is awesome.  I see that those magic mushrooms left behind some good stuff.  :)
Yeah, I just woke up one morning and I had a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets in my pocket, I was wearing a toe ring and I had that idea in my head.  ???
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

Ha!

Counterpart to alien hilarity and its predecessors:  There are internally consistent arguments that God exists which do not depend on having the awareness or experiences of another person or perception of the God entity.

This for example is a thing of beauty and elegance.

Additionally, consider that Deism was very popular at one point.  You don't have to have a lot of religious experiences, or in fact any, to believe in God.

More meat for the meat eaters here, nothing more.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

shoestring wrote: You don't have to have a lot of religious experiences, or in fact any, to believe in God.

More meat for the meat eaters here, nothing more.
Is that formula above essentially saying "Since we don't know for sure where all of this came from or how it happened, it could just as easily have been God as it could anything else."

Ultimately, isn't the existence of God a matter of definition?  It seems like if we defined God as the first cause, then it would be hard to argue that there wasn't a God, since we know that any observed effect must have had some cause, right?  OTOH, if we define God more narrowly and in more anthropocentric terms, then it starts to feel more like allegory to me.
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van »

"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

MediumTex wrote: Ultimately, isn't the existence of God a matter of definition?  It seems like if we defined God as the first cause, then it would be hard to argue that there wasn't a God, since we know that any observed effect must have had some cause, right?  OTOH, if we define God more narrowly and in more anthropocentric terms, then it starts to feel more like allegory to me.
Very well said. Some people define God as reality itself: the totality of everything that exists, existed, and ever will exist. It's hard to argue with that definition, much like the "first cause" definition.

Some people might say, "Well, if you're defining God to be all of reality itself, then how does it make sense to talk about God having a personality?" To which I simply point out that I have a personality, and I'm part of reality. If reality contains me, doesn't it possess all of the properties that I possess, and more?
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone »

If God is simply all of reality itself, then religion seems redundant to me. Reality doesn't care what I or anyone else thinks about it.