A place to talk about random things....

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: A place to talk about random things....

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:33 pm Generally, when people ask me where I'm from, I have always said San Diego or Portland or Sonoma or Fort Lauderdale or anyplace that is not "here" and which I know well enough. Lately, I've been going with Sioux Falls, SD. Because there is paranoia permeating the air - and people need a quick label to know if you are "safe" or not.

Usually when I would check into a hotel, I would use my passport card for ID - as it doesn't have an address on it and I don't want a bunch of questions about Sioux Falls - which I know very little about. Now, though, I use my driver's license and proudly claim to be a South Dakotan.

No one knows what to think of South Dakotans. People don't have a snappy label to apply. Hard right or left? Virus infected or not? Are there even enough people in your state to matter? Is that far from here?
How many places did you live through high school?

And, I'm originally from Rhode Island (first 22 1/2 years of my life). I've met people in New England who have never even heard of Rhode Island! And, many times, I'm oftentimes the only person from Rhode Island a person has ever met.

I think you stated recently that you'd passed through Rhode Island not that long ago?

You probably know....so this answer is more addressed to others reading this.

How do you label Rhode Island? The smallest state in the country (however, usually back and forth with New Jersey for being the most densely populated state in the country).

Finally, back to directed at you. When people hear you speak where do they oftentimes assume you are from? For some reason people many times think I'm from New York, which is an accent not even close to the Rhode Island heavy Boston / Italian accent.

Vinny

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:33 pm Generally, when people ask me where I'm from, I have always said San Diego or Portland or Sonoma or Fort Lauderdale or anyplace that is not "here" and which I know well enough. Lately, I've been going with Sioux Falls, SD. Because there is paranoia permeating the air - and people need a quick label to know if you are "safe" or not.

Usually when I would check into a hotel, I would use my passport card for ID - as it doesn't have an address on it and I don't want a bunch of questions about Sioux Falls - which I know very little about. Now, though, I use my driver's license and proudly claim to be a South Dakotan.

No one knows what to think of South Dakotans. People don't have a snappy label to apply. Hard right or left? Virus infected or not? Are there even enough people in your state to matter? Is that far from here?
South Dakota is best known as the tropical Dakota.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Libertarian666 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:56 pm
Okay, that's funny. I'm stealing that.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:30 pm How many places did you live through high school?
All of California while growing up. A move every couple of years. In high school it was Porterville and San Diego

I think you stated recently that you'd passed through Rhode Island not that long ago?
I had plans to, but it turns out that Rhode Island is the only state that includes South Dakota on it's quarantine list.

How do you label Rhode Island?
My Sonoma friend calls it "Lil' Rhody". But then, again, she calls me a "Sodak". She's a bit cutting, that way. I don't have an impression of Rhode Island yet. Maybe sometime after they take me off of the blacklist.

When people hear you speak where do they oftentimes assume you are from?
Is a California accent even a thing? In my world, I don't have an accent and everyone else does... I've never had anyone comment on it. Except when I'm in a Spanish speaking country, people will guess that I'm from some other country, not theirs.

Vinny
Mark
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:27 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:56 pm
Okay, that's funny. I'm stealing that.
Be my guest!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That is funny. O0
🍍
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:27 pm ...
Paging Dualstow.... how's this for unique mooncake?? ;D O0

117238594_3157443824343604_7231832064148453572_n.jpg
117238594_3157443824343604_7231832064148453572_n.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I love it! :D
🍍
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Here is some very un-PC semi-satire on current events by a good old West Virginia boy, Fred Reed - he’s from Crumpler, WV way down in the bottom super redneck part of the state. Maybe we can have a post-corona reunion and go check out his 'holler'. ;)

https://www.unz.com/freed/big-orlys-dia ... er-report/
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Mountaineer wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 am Here is some very un-PC semi-satire on current events by a good old West Virginia boy, Fred Reed - he’s from Crumpler, WV way down in the bottom super redneck part of the state. Maybe we can have a post-corona reunion and go check out his 'holler'. ;)

"SALUTE!" brings back memories.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mountaineer wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 am Here is some very un-PC semi-satire on current events by a good old West Virginia boy, Fred Reed - he’s from Crumpler, WV way down in the bottom super redneck part of the state. Maybe we can have a post-corona reunion and go check out his 'holler'. ;)

I think we used to see a lot of posts with links to him. fred on everything dot net, or something, with a donation link that said "Feed Fred."
🍍
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Here's an interesting thought about cultural appropriation from Reed's article:

"I reckon black folks ought to be a little quieter. Since they didn’t invent writing, or reading, or ‘rithmetic or electricity or clothes or pretty much anything, then any time they use them things they’re doing Cultural Appropriation. It’s just common sense."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Huntsville, Alabama...

Post by Mark Leavy »

Huntsville is a huge biotech, tech and defense contracting town.

I got made in a New York minute.

“You here on TDY?”

“yep”

“Where you stayin?”

“The AC”

“They got a good bar there. You’ll want go to Connors for a steak. SiP for a cigar bar.“

“Much obliged”

It cost me a round.
The great thing about defense towns is that no one asks what you are up to.

They did tell me that Toyota is about to open a plant and now is the time to buy property.

Mark
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I happened to have a pork loin in my cooler and my hotel hot water tap was 138°. Woohoo!

4 hours of tap water dribble and my oh my.

dribble.jpeg
dribble.jpeg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
porkloin.jpeg
porkloin.jpeg (95.49 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Wow!
Looks like one of the nicer hotels. Do you still bleach the counter?
Is it hard to stop food waste from going down the drain?
🍍
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:52 pm I happened to have a pork loin in my cooler and my hotel hot water tap was 138°. Woohoo!

porkloin.jpeg
Solid work, but where did you get that knife? An archaeological dig?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MangoMan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:37 am Mark,

Super amazing that you slow cooked a loin in the sink, but the post prior to that one ...
Please translate. :D
I struggled with some of that, too, even though the overall vibe is clear.
• All I could find for TDY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_duty_assignment
• SiP ⇢ Shelter in Place? O0
• The Huntsville in question is Hunstville, Alabama which has a hotel called The AC, so no text expansion needed there.
https://images.app.goo.gl/AWjifSWCi5aB8CRn6
🍍
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

I also thought it wasn't clear whether the conversation he related was him being "made", or whether it happened immediately after he was "made".
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:37 am Mark,

Super amazing that you slow cooked a loin in the sink, but the post prior to that one reminds me of the discussion in another thread where we were saying that you had to turn subtitles on for a show in English because the dialog was not decipherable. Please translate. :D
The other day I watched Rocketman, which was a bioptic of Elton John. Excellent movie! However, I was severely disappointed that there was not a subtitle option. Even though it was all in English there was a lot of dialogue that I could not understand. I ALWAYS have the subtitle option on as you get to "hear" things you'd never hear through your ears.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
for the first time in a long time i subjected myself to mainstream media over this weekend..
i found it almost physically painful, the commercials the programing ALL OF IT had a underlying message hate, hate, hate, live in fear, live in fear, live in fear, (actually a blatant message but since nobody seems to see this, i am thinking it is hidden in plain sight, or the ability to understand context is no longer a trait of human consciousnesses)

i have been a skeptic of media and a cable cutter a long time, i just had a serious shock to my system -- skepticism is no longer an accurate view.. this is propaganda of the first order and it is relentless.. (all of it!)

Try C-Span!!!!

EVERY morning of EVERY day of the year where they have Washington Journal from 7 AM to 10 AM. People call in like you and me. The hosts are not allowed to have opinions. And, they have all kinds of guests - many current senators, congress people, cabinet members, book authors, heads of think tanks. Just about anyone related to politics in any way.

And, if you are watching the convention now, GO TO C-SPAN! You'll see it all without ANY commercial interruptions or commentary. And, when it ends tonight, keep it on and you'll have people of all kinds of political persuasions calling in to give their opinions.

Even Trump this afternoon said he put on C-Span so that he could hear ALL of the morning roll call. Could not get that anywhere else.

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Simonjester wrote: i found it almost physically painful, the commercials the programing ALL OF IT had a underlying message hate, hate, hate, live in fear, live in fear, live in fear,
Seems like a theme for a B-Grade science fiction film. Oh wait.....

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6okzr8
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Simonjester wrote: for the first time in a long time i subjected myself to mainstream media over this weekend..
i found it almost physically painful, the commercials the programing ALL OF IT had a underlying message hate, hate, hate, live in fear, live in fear, live in fear, (actually a blatant message but since nobody seems to see this, i am thinking it is hidden in plain sight, or the ability to understand context is no longer a trait of human consciousnesses)

i have been a skeptic of media and a cable cutter a long time, i just had a serious shock to my system -- skepticism is no longer an accurate view.. this is propaganda of the first order and it is relentless.. (all of it!)
Yep.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:52 pm I happened to have a pork loin in my cooler and my hotel hot water tap was 138°. Woohoo!

That is absolutely brilliant. I'll have to remember that one!!!

Slow cooking in a hotel room is something I am quite familiar with - I use this device:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EC ... UTF8&psc=1

It's worth the extra weight. Cooks a salmon filet in about an hour. It heats to about 160 degrees, so it's perfectly safe to cook/warm items in a ziploc plastic freezer bag. I put a hotel washcloth underneath to prevent hot spots.

This is a skill I probably won't be using for a LONG time though!