Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

A place to talk about random things....

Post by craigr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:45 am

Kind of says it all...
Last edited by craigr on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: A place to talk about random things....

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 pm

This is my 1,000th post on the forum and I'm going to use it to revive the deadest of dead threads.

Woohooo!! 1000 posts! I love you peeps and our community. :)
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:31 pm

That's kind of what the daily checkin is about, but this works too.

I snuck out of the house and away from my laptop this AM to go visit my community garden plot. Whacking out weeds and preparing soil was SO good for the soul, and it's kind of nice to do it in a communal setting with other gardeners around. I discovered mint, lettuce, arugula, parsley and dill growing nicely (too nicely in the case of the mint). I managed to plant seeds for snap peas, spinach, mustard greens, and radishes before having to get back for yet another zoom meeting. It's supposed to rain tonight so I didn't even have to water.

NY now mandates that everyone wear a mask in public, so it's my new best friend every time I venture out my apartment door. I took it off in the park & garden though. Come and get me, Poppa Cuomo.

Anyone else starting gardens? Whatcha all planting now?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:04 pm

I just ripped up a few more beds out of my yard to plant potatoes and radish. I used some compost that's been aging for a couple years on it, hoping that helps. I've also found that branches can last years in the compost bin pretty well, so maybe I'll stop being lazy and cut up branches from now on (doubtful). I planted 8 lbs of potatoes, I'll be disappointed if I dig up less than 40 lbs. I already have blueberries, rhubarb, snow peas, garlic, onions, and lettuce going.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:43 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:31 pm
That's kind of what the daily checkin is about, but this works too.

I snuck out of the house and away from my laptop this AM to go visit my community garden plot. Whacking out weeds and preparing soil was SO good for the soul, and it's kind of nice to do it in a communal setting with other gardeners around. I discovered mint, lettuce, arugula, parsley and dill growing nicely (too nicely in the case of the mint). I managed to plant seeds for snap peas, spinach, mustard greens, and radishes before having to get back for yet another zoom meeting. It's supposed to rain tonight so I didn't even have to water.

NY now mandates that everyone wear a mask in public, so it's my new best friend every time I venture out my apartment door. I took it off in the park & garden though. Come and get me, Poppa Cuomo.

I know that you are about 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from me, nearly 200 miles. I don't think all due south but I'm guess almost all due south. Where I am, the advice is to not plant ANYTHING prior to Memorial Day weekend. Too high a risk of frost up until that weekend (the last weekend of May). I am, though, spending tons of time in my garden area, doing two phases of moving all the top level of dirt around. Next step is to lay down newsprint and cardboard and cover it all with that dirt. Then leaves on top of the dirt.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:04 pm
I just ripped up a few more beds out of my yard to plant potatoes and radish. I used some compost that's been aging for a couple years on it, hoping that helps. I've also found that branches can last years in the compost bin pretty well, so maybe I'll stop being lazy and cut up branches from now on (doubtful). I planted 8 lbs of potatoes, I'll be disappointed if I dig up less than 40 lbs. I already have blueberries, rhubarb, snow peas, garlic, onions, and lettuce going.
You also much be in a much warmer climate than Western Massachusetts. As I'm typing this at 6:45 PM (eastern standard time) I'm being told that the temperature is 47. Tomorrow is supposed to be 47 but we are supposed to be getting snow tonight!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:11 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Have about 20 Tomato Plants , Onions along with Cantaloupe, Parsley,Basil planted.
Been very nice weather in Texas.

Had a few potatoes last several years but we don't eat many potatoes anymore.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
I already have blueberries, rhubarb, snow peas, garlic, onions, and lettuce going.
What type of Blueberries do you have and are they easy to grow?

i have look at Blueberry plants at Lowes but have not decided yet.
I would like to try Elderberry if anyone has had success growing it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:35 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
You also much be in a much warmer climate than Western Massachusetts. As I'm typing this at 6:45 PM (eastern standard time) I'm being told that the temperature is 47. Tomorrow is supposed to be 47 but we are supposed to be getting snow tonight!

Vinny

Western MA looks like it's in zone 6, the same plant hardiness zone as much of America, including Texas. Some of it is zone 5; some of the most fertile agricultural land in the country is zone 5. I'm sure you can plant some cold tolerant stuff now.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:40 pm

shekels wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:16 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
I already have blueberries, rhubarb, snow peas, garlic, onions, and lettuce going.
What type of Blueberries do you have and are they easy to grow?

i have look at Blueberry plants at Lowes but have not decided yet.
I'm not sure what kind they are, but they seem very hardy, I just transplanted them last fall from my brother's house, they look like they're going to have a ton of berries this year. It might be because he lives in a much more ritzy neighborhood that likely has a higher pesticide/insecticide use than where I live.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:35 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:

Vinny

Western MA looks like it's in zone 6, the same plant hardiness zone as much of America, including Texas. Some of it is zone 5; some of the most fertile agricultural land in the country is zone 5. I'm sure you can plant some cold tolerant stuff now.
I only plant plants above ground. My main "crops" are all forms of lettuce, arugula, brussels spouts, tomatoes, peppers, various squash, broccoli, cauliflower. Don't plant anything with seeds or underground. Therefore, would not frost kill all above ground plants?

This is saying that I am in Zone 5b.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (12.69 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Vinny
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:50 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 pm

I only plant plants above ground. My main "crops" are all forms of lettuce, arugula, brussels spouts, tomatoes, peppers, various squash, broccoli, cauliflower. Don't plant anything with seeds or underground. Therefore, would not frost kill all above ground plants?

Capture.JPG

Vinny
Do you start seeds Indoors until it is warm enough ?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 pm

I think some of those would be fine. I've used High Mowing (Vermont) before, this is what they have to say:
Colder temperatures (26-31F) may burn the foliage of, but will not kill, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, lettuce, mustard, onion, radish, beets and leeks. In fact, some of these crops, as well as parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes and brussels sprouts actually produce the best flavor when they have had a touch of frost! link
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 pm

shekels wrote:
I'm also thinking about elderberry along one edge of my property. I like that it grows 6-8 ft high, I like the idea of an edible screen.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 pm
shekels wrote:
I'm also thinking about elderberry along one edge of my property. I like that it grows 6-8 ft high, I like the idea of an edible screen.
Edible and Drinkable Wine for treating colds of course. ^-^
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:59 pm

shekels wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:50 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Capture.JPG

Vinny
Never.

Just like I like low maintenance pets I like low maintenance things to plant. Plus prior to this year I used to keep my house temperature at 56 degrees, not conducive to growing anything.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 pm
I think some of those would be fine. I've used High Mowing (Vermont) before, this is what they have to say:
Colder temperatures (26-31F) may burn the foliage of, but will not kill, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, lettuce, mustard, onion, radish, beets and leeks. In fact, some of these crops, as well as parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes and brussels sprouts actually produce the best flavor when they have had a touch of frost! link
Thanks for that prior unknown to me information. By the way here is High Mowing's current status:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (146.66 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:59 pm
shekels wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Never.

Just like I like low maintenance pets I like low maintenance things to plant. Plus prior to this year I used to keep my house temperature at 56 degrees, not conducive to growing anything.

Vinny
I have the house cool in the Winter here also.
But I due have a spare Bath tub I put a tray in to start seeds .
I covered the tub with a foam board and had a Light in it to keep the seeds warm.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:14 pm

shekels wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 pm

I have the house cool in the Winter here also.
But I due have a spare Bath tub I put a tray in to start seeds .
I covered the tub with a foam board and had a Light in it to keep the seeds warm.
Tell me if there is a flaw in this logic.

If I don't want to plant certain things, like tomato and pepper plants before all the possibilities are gone, I don't gain anything time-wise in terms of getting a head start in planting by growing them indoors, do I? I.e., I cannot plant them any earlier than the store bought ones?

Vinny
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:16 pm

[/quote]

Never.

Vinny
[/quote]

If you like low maintenance you might consider the permaculture method of growing. Eg with potatoes, just leave them on the top of the soil and cover with spoilt lucerne hay.

Thought this was great idea, but my ever polite grandmother pointed out they used to do this in the 1910s.
Whats old is new again....

https://www.permaculturenews.org/2017/0 ... n-5-steps/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:28 pm

Hal wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:16 pm

If you like low maintenance you might consider the permaculture method of growing. Eg with potatoes, just leave them on the top of the soil and cover with spoilt lucerne hay.

Thought this was great idea, but my ever polite grandmother pointed out they used to do this in the 1910s.
Whats old is new again....

https://www.permaculturenews.org/2017/0 ... n-5-steps/
I don't like doing high maintenance garden things like growing seeds which save me some money but not equal to the time it consumes plus gives me no other benefits.

ButI do engage in high initial maintenance with my soil. Using only 300 (?) year tools - a rake and a shovel - I move around tremendous amounts of dirt over many, many, many hours the last few weeks.

I'm consuming tons of time but there is the great side benefit of the exercise I'm getting in doing the hard work of pushing heavy, heavy dirt all over the place.

Much of it was moist with a lot of wet leaves at the bottom of it.

My garden is area is where all the snow on my driveway gets plowed into each winter. I thus have to first start attacking huge mounds of dirt to level it off and move it all from where it sits.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Very jealous of all these gardens! I grew basil and sunflowers when I had land to plant on. I also “grew” mint, but that was just harvesting what someone else had planted before me. It was basically a desirable weed.

Now I’ve got tiny flower beds with non-ebibles. No full sun.
“Poppa Cuomo.” :-)

Congrats on your thousandth, Smithers!
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (127.74 KiB) Viewed 5321 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:21 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:57 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:59 pm
Plus prior to this year I used to keep my house temperature at 56 degrees

Vinny
You walk around barefoot in a 56 degree house?
That would be the rest of the house except for this bedroom. I'm not standing still when I'm walking around so that is fine.

In this bedroom it would be between 75 and 80 degrees plus I'd have my feet (like now) on a foot warmer.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:49 am

Vinny you can absolutely plant cool weather loving plants now. If you have a hard freeze that would be an issue, but temps in the upper 30s/40s overnight are not a big deal as the soil won't get as cold. The fact that some plants were already growing nicely in the plot says I could have done this a few weeks ago. My sister lives not too far west of you, and she's planting now too.

I got a seed starter tray for my Aerogarden Sprout, which is a mini hydroponic garden that works great for herbs indoors and doubles as an undercounter light in the kitchen. It lets you start 15 seedlings and it gives them a big jump start. I've got lettuce and arugula in mine, and I'm planning to put those into the garden tomorrow. Then I'm going to start tomatoes and peppers in the Aerogarden. They'll go into the ground sometime in mid to late May.