Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Post by MediumTex » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:47 pm

dualstow wrote: One thing I like about poison in tv shows & films is that it allows two bad people to kill each other. First the poisoner dies and then the killer of the poisoner starts to feel the effects...
Kind of like in Hamlet (I think).
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:58 pm

MediumTex wrote:
dualstow wrote: One thing I like about poison in tv shows & films is that it allows two bad people to kill each other. First the poisoner dies and then the killer of the poisoner starts to feel the effects...
Kind of like in Hamlet (I think).
Heh. There's definitely some death by poison at the end of that one. And I think Badger & Skinny Pete are this show's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 pm

rhymenocerous wrote: He can just bust down the door and start shooting.  How is he going to find he $70m?  Who is gonna die tot he ricin and how will he administer it?  They've been saving the ricin for the  finale, so I only think a few people could warrant such an extravagant death: Walt, Jesse, possibly Todd + Lydia, the entire Nazi gang all at once.  Lastly, that would be so depressing if Brock grows up to be Tuco, and nothing has changed; kind of like the Wire.
Maybe he'll do what Gus did to the Cartel. 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 pm

I thought I read that Dean Norris (Hank) took the grill as a keepsake as well as one of the axes.
Maybe there's a "stunt grill".  :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:03 am

I could not ask for a better ending.  8)
Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 am

The show ended just about the way I thought it would end.  I thought the ricin in the stevia was classic -- and then, he picks up the other guys cell phone and is able to tell her about the ricin was "icing on the cake."  I'm glad he was able to tie up the "loose end" and provide Skyler with the location of Hank's and the other agent's body.  The hour and fifteen minute show flew by.  I found myself feeling someone sad that the show was ending.  You find yourself "engaged" with a show like this for a number of years and then it ends.  It was a blast while it lasted!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 am

Bob wrote: I found myself feeling someone sad that the show was ending.  You find yourself "engaged" with a show like this for a number of years and then it ends.  It was a blast while it lasted!
I haven't sought out many interviews outside of the show, but I happened to hear Vince Gilligan, aka "Villigan" on the radio last year saying, "I don't want this show to drag on, with people flipping channels and saying, 'Oh, is this still on?' I want to have closure." Not his exact words, but very close. I am so satisfied. All things must pass.

There's always Homeland and Game of Thrones:)
Have to catch up on one and start the other.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 am

Just loved the finale! Especially enjoyed Walter telling Skylr that what he did he did for himself. That he liked it and was good at it. That was classic. It was nice seeing Walt pick up Todd's phone call from Lydia and seeing her with that humidifier as he told her that she would never use Stevia again. And what about what he did to the Schwartz's? I didn't see that coming. Just great stuff!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:45 am

I like that Walt died in peace in a place he always enjoyed being (i.e., a properly appointed meth lab).

I love that Todd's uncle wasn't able to get very far into his "why you shouldn't kill me" speech before Walt finished him off.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 am

Reub, I thought of you when I saw Jesse Pinkman stop by SNL to make fun of Obamacare. Good stuff.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:58 am

dualstow wrote: I could not ask for a better ending.  8)
I agree.  To me, the last two episodes felt almost perfect.

I'll miss the show, but I'm glad they stopped while they were still on top. 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Adam: Yeah, someone in TV writing finally learned to quit while he was ahead!

MT, I take it loose ends were wrapped up to your satisfaction?

If anyone was wondering about Jesse's daydream about the wooden box, apparently he mentioned it in an early episode. He made the box for his mother but then sold it for an ounce of weed. I certainly forgot about that, but read it in the Wall Street Journal of all places.

Also, it has been pointed out that Walt didn't just get to Lydia out of revenge or competition, but to take the (Todd) heat off Skyler. That didn't immediately click, but when I read it I thought, oh of course!
Side note, I have been waiting for the show to end to treat myself to Laura Fraser's (Lydia) real accent, a Scottish one. No wonder Todd was in love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIvi0nQFbb0
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:44 pm

dualstow wrote: Reub, I thought of you when I saw Jesse Pinkman stop by SNL to make fun of Obamacare. Good stuff.
I knew that I liked Jesse! :)
I hope he can get a sequel out of this.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am

MediumTex wrote: I love that Todd's uncle wasn't able to get very far into his "why you shouldn't kill me" speech before Walt finished him off.
Me too.  I also enjoyed how in spite of being gutshot by an M60, Uncle Jack took the time to stuff a cigarette in his mouth before commencing with his "If you pull that trigger..." speech.  :)
dualstow wrote: If anyone was wondering about Jesse's daydream about the wooden box, apparently he mentioned it in an early episode. He made the box for his mother but then sold it for an ounce of weed. I certainly forgot about that, but read it in the Wall Street Journal of all places.

Also, it has been pointed out that Walt didn't just get to Lydia out of revenge or competition, but to take the (Todd) heat off Skyler. That didn't immediately click, but when I read it I thought, oh of course!
Ah, I remember the box now, too!  Thanks, dualstow!  I hadn't considered the origin story of the "happy place" Jesse turned to.  That's perfect.

Yep, I agree about Lydia.  I think that he recognized her over-eagerness to "tie up loose ends" in the bloodiest way possible.  And fortunately for us, Walter White has been reading the Permanent Portfolio forums and came across dualstow's idea for adding a little extra ricin flavoring to Lydia's "stevia crap".
Reub wrote: Just loved the finale! Especially enjoyed Walter telling Skylr that what he did he did for himself. That he liked it and was good at it. That was classic. It was nice seeing Walt pick up Todd's phone call from Lydia and seeing her with that humidifier as he told her that she would never use Stevia again. And what about what he did to the Schwartz's? I didn't see that coming. Just great stuff!
Agreed on all points!  I'd thought there was a chance he would do something awful to Elliot and Gretchen but this was a great way to use them for his own ends.  I was very impressed when the "two best hitmen west of the Mississippi" joined him in his car afterward complaining of how that "felt kinda shady, morality-wise".  :)

What an excellent series, top to bottom.  Thanks, guys, for all the great discussion on this thread over the last couple of years!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Lone Wolf,

You saw that the "hit men" were Badger and Skinny Pete, right?

The whole hit men thing was a total bluff that Walt played to perfection.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:43 pm

MediumTex wrote: Lone Wolf,

You saw that the "hit men" were Badger and Skinny Pete, right?

The whole hit men thing was a total bluff that Walt played to perfection.
Oh absolutely!  What a treat having those guys make it back for the finale.  I had hoped Saul might somehow make an appearance but never expected Badger and Skinny Pete.

And yes, it really was brilliant.  Using nothing but a couple of meth-head Trekkies with laser pointers to frighten Elliot and Gretchen into "laundering" his money so that it gets to Junior... impressive stuff, rivaling the MacGyver-esque, trunk-based, 7.62mm sprinkler he "presented" to the Aryans.  :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks, Wolf. I have to give all credit to iwealth for guessing in the first place that the ricin was for Lydia. I think he might actually be Vince Gilligan toying with us. ;-)

In comments at the WSJ, someone said that real hit men would just shoot all 3 people and take the cash. I didn't reply -- this subforum is enough Breaking Bad for me -- but my answer to that would be that s/he he is thinking like a hit man. However, s/he is not thinking like the Schwartzes. I think it's plausible that they'd be scared into just making the trust happen, even after they hear about Walt's death in the news. Also, they know they're guilty of both ripping Walt off and denying him all credit on Charlie Rose.

I also read something about the wristwatch Walt left on the pay phone in the final episode. Why did he do that?
Answer: apparently it's a continuity error. Whatever the real purpose was supposed to be, people like it because Jesse gave Walt that watch as a gift, and also because for Walt, time didn't have much meaning once he ran his final "errands." (Except of course, getting to that coffee shop well before 10AM).
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:56 pm

dualstow wrote: In comments at the WSJ, someone said that real hit men would just shoot all 3 people and take the cash. I didn't reply -- this subforum is enough Breaking Bad for me -- but my answer to that would be that s/he he is thinking like a hit man. However, s/he is not thinking like the Schwartzes.
I'm 100% with you on this one.  He's not trying to fool Mike Ehrmantraut here.  The act just had to work on a pair of frightened, naive wimps with little understanding of criminal activity and a whole lot to lose.
dualstow wrote:I also read something about the wristwatch Walt left on the pay phone in the final episode. Why did he do that?
Answer: apparently it's a continuity error. Whatever the real purpose was supposed to be, people like it because Jesse gave Walt that watch as a gift, and also because for Walt, time didn't have much meaning once he ran his final "errands." (Except of course, getting to that coffee shop well before 10AM).
What was the continuity error?  I'm not usually observant enough to catch these.  Did it show up in some scene it shouldn't have?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Not to mention that Badger and Skinny Pete knew what Walt was capable of.

I'm sure they just wanted to do what he said, get paid and move on.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Lone Wolf wrote: What was the continuity error? 
It wasn't specified on the page I was reading. But, I was glad to know that the watch was from Jesse. It's unimportant, and still I guess people can draw their own meaning out of it.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:40 pm

They mentioned it on the follow-up show, Talking Bad. I didn't understand it fully. Gilligan explained something about them shooting a scene that looked ahead where Walter wasn't wearing a watch. So to make that scene legit (continuity) they had to have Walter remove the watch.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 pm

I liked it when Todd said to Walt: "You really shouldn't have come back Mr. White."

He was, of course, right, but for the wrong reasons.

It was true that he came there to die, but only after the rest of them were dead, including Todd.

Lydia was a real piece of garbage.  She dressed and acted sophisticated, but I think that the reason Todd was attracted to her was that she was almost as cold blooded as him.  There is probably some kind of weird parallel between Brock being left without a mother and Lydia's daughter being left without a mother as well as a result of coming into Walt's orbit.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 am

Interesting, thanks for the info on the watch continuity thing, guys.
MediumTex wrote:Lydia was a real piece of garbage.  She dressed and acted sophisticated, but I think that the reason Todd was attracted to her was that she was almost as cold blooded as him.  There is probably some kind of weird parallel between Brock being left without a mother and Lydia's daughter being left without a mother as well as a result of coming into Walt's orbit.
Heh, I think you're right.  Thus far, aryanpsychomatch.com had failed to find him a girl that was as cold and dead inside as him.  Lydia was quite the catch!

Another funny thing about Lydia was how incredibly squeamish she was.  After arranging for Declan and his entire crew to be killed, she had to cover her eyes to make sure she didn't see anything icky.

Moreso than her being killed, I think that I enjoyed all the little ways that Walt made her miserable during the finale, such as the restaurant coughing fit that made her recoil in horror.  And of course mocking her stevia just as she's realizing that her death is imminent.  (I like my stevia, but not as much as I like seeing Lydia experience unhappiness.)

By the way, I've had "Baby Blue" stuck in my head off and on throughout the morning.  :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:18 am

Lone Wolf wrote: By the way, I've had "Baby Blue" stuck in my head off and on throughout the morning.  :)
Same here! I suspect this is a widespread, perhaps nationwide affliction.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:45 pm

WOW!!!
i have been avoiding this thread so i could watch the final season/episodes in one go, w/o spoilers
took me awhile to read all the posts, lots of accurate predictions,

personally i thought they did a good job of going out on a high note and maintained the quality well
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence