Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Post by rhymenocerous »

Crazy thoughts are running through my mind after this episode!  Gomie could possibly die, but it feels too soon for Hank or Jesse to die.  I don't know!  Hanks call with Marie could be seen as a tragic goodbye message, "I'll be home a little late."  If Hank does die, maybe Walt will feel responsible and poison Todd's whole gang with the ricin including himself a la Gus style (Walt's time is limited anyway).  Maybe Walt will sacrifice himself as an act of contrition.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Wow.

I don't see how Hank gets out of that alive.

The shooters aren't there to protect Walt.  They're there to protect their cook.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth »

Things are starting to clear up a bit. Here's my guess:

Gomie is dead. I don't see much more use for his character in the narrative. Hank is either dead or comatose. That call to Marie telegraphed Hank's demise. Hopefully that call wasn't written just to throw us off. Much like Gus' last walk into the nursing home, I don't mind the telegraphed demise of these amazing characters. Personally, it forces me to engage very deeply in those last moments.

Todd may be dead. That will heighten the Neo-Nazis' urgency to bring Walt into the fold. Either way, they need Walt (or Jesse) to assist with the cook. We know it's not Walt. Jesse must become their and Lydia's meth slave. Somehow this series is going to end with Walt coming back to rescue Jesse and likely dying somewhere in the process. I'm just not sure how Walt's family comes into play.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I just watched. Was careful to avoid this thread until now. Spoilers aplenty.
iwealth wrote: Todd may be dead. That will heighten the Neo-Nazis' urgency to bring Walt into the fold. Either way, they need Walt (or Jesse) to assist with the cook. We know it's not Walt. Jesse must become their and Lydia's meth slave. Somehow this series is going to end with Walt coming back to rescue Jesse and likely dying somewhere in the process. I'm just not sure how Walt's family comes into play.
Very interesting observation. Yes, we know Walt doesn't die yet, and Hank & Gomie are well outgunned w/ no DEA backup. (Call in the cavalry, Marie! Do it! ) It would be great if Jesse also surved the next episode. They are like the R2-D2 and C3P0 of this show, or the two guys from 'Hidden Fortress', with everyone around them dropping like flies.

We know Walt can be danerous to his overseers when he cooks, if they're ignorant. Todd is the wildcard. If something's fishy during the cook, Todd will know.

Poor Hank. Hasn't he been through enough? :-)
EDIT:
That call to Marie telegraphed Hank's demise.
That's definitely the feeling we had over here at chez dualstow, but then the episode ended. Maybe this is more wishful thinking than scriptwriting logic, but since Hank was alive at the end of the episode, I feel he has a fighting chance.
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Trivial note: people think it's funny the way Todd fired his handgun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mDnG1dA948
Everyone else seemed to be making use of the sights.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

I got a kick out of Todd's phone playing the Thomas Dolby song "She Blinded Me With Science" when he got the call from Walt.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Tortoise wrote: I got a kick out of Todd's phone playing the Thomas Dolby song "She Blinded Me With Science" when he got the call from Walt.
And before that, Steve Perry's "Oh Sherry" was playing in the background.

"Oh Sherry" is the kind of song I might play in a terrorist's prison cell to try to break him down quickly.

Marie looking down into the trash can at what was supposed to be Jesse's brains as she talked to Hank on the phone was pretty unsettling.

The interesting thing here is that Hank has once again underestimated Walt.  He could have easily gone in there with a lot of backup, but decided not to because he still just doesn't seem to take Walt seriously as a threat.

It does surprise me a bit that the shooters are getting so close to Walt with their fire.  If they are there to make sure that nothing happens to their cook, it seems like they wouldn't want to lose him to a friendly fire incident.

Also, what's up with missing Hank and Gomie with the first barrage of fire?  Where did those guys learn to shoot, the police academy?
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

MediumTex wrote:
The interesting thing here is that Hank has once again underestimated Walt.  He could have easily gone in there with a lot of backup, but decided not to because he still just doesn't seem to take Walt seriously as a threat.
It's a great example of what Jesse said to Hank and Gomie in the last episode, when he was ranting about Walt being the Devil, and how he was smarter and luckier than everyone else.  Something like, "...whatever you think is going to happen, the exact opposite happens."

As awful as it sounds, I was actually happy when those thugs pulled up.  No matter how bad Walt is, I always root for him, especially when it comes to Hank.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote: The interesting thing here is that Hank has once again underestimated Walt.  He could have easily gone in there with a lot of backup, but decided not to because he still just doesn't seem to take Walt seriously as a threat.
Well don't forget, Hank is still doing this on the down low. Gomie trusts him, and they found a trusty third man to watch Huell, but in general the DEA knows nothing about this.

If Lydia splashes chemicals in Todd's eyes during Walt's escape, that would be a weird callback to the Thomas Dolby song.
I just think it's sweet that the psycho killer has a crush on someone.  ;)
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

MediumTex wrote: Also, what's up with missing Hank and Gomie with the first barrage of fire?  Where did those guys learn to shoot, the police academy?
Yeah...that was kind hard to believe.

I think Hank is going to survive, and Todd's uncle and his crew are going to use him as collateral to make Walt cook for them. 

Pascal
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

Tortoise wrote: I got a kick out of Todd's phone playing the Thomas Dolby song "She Blinded Me With Science" when he got the call from Walt.
I loved that!  :D
AdamA wrote: I think Hank is going to survive, and Todd's uncle and his crew are going to use him as collateral to make Walt cook for them.
Yeah, this is where I thought things might be heading as well.  I'm expecting Gomez to be killed during the gun battle.  As we've seen at least three times (more?) during the show, Hank is vulnerable to panic attacks in high-stress situations.  He performs amazingly in the heat of battle but once he's rattled, he's really rattled, and seeing Gomez die could do it.

At that point, he may take cover long enough for the gunfire to die down.  Then Todd's uncle and his frightening band of merciless (but 80s-loving) thugs might be able to take him alive.

However it turns out, that was a very exciting scene!  Made the mistake of watching it right before bed.  Hard to get good sleep when you go to bed with your heart pounding.  :)

By the way, I was amazed at how easy it was for Hank to snow poor Huell.  He didn't even want to hear the supposed "recording" they had?  ???
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Huell is definitely not NSA material.
iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth »

Really like the Hank held hostage/Walt comes back to save Hank storyline, but I don't see where Jesse fits into the equation. Or Walt's family for that matter. Maybe everyone gets taken hostage.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Lone Wolf wrote: I'm expecting Gomez to be killed during the gun battle.
Gomie's presence at this point is similar to an unfamilar face in a Star Trek beam-down party. 

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

AdamA wrote:
Gomie's presence at this point is similar to an unfamilar face in a Star Trek beam-down party.
Ared shirt? :-)
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote:
AdamA wrote:
Ared shirt? :-)
Gomez made it to within two episodes of the show's end, so he did okay.

It was Mike who I was sorry to see get killed last year.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

They mentioned on the aftershow that Mike's character was a last minute addition to the show when the actor who plays Saul was not available to do a scene.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Looks like Saul is getting a spinoff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1452737

Pascal
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

AdamA wrote: Looks like Saul is getting a spinoff.

Great news!  I'm glad to see another show in the BB universe.  Saul is such a  funny character.

I'll miss this great show when it ends in 3 episodes.  We on this thread need to just... just support the shit out of each other.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Lone Wolf wrote:
AdamA wrote: Looks like Saul is getting a spinoff.

Great news!  I'm glad to see another show in the BB universe.  Saul is such a  funny character.

I'll miss this great show when it ends in 3 episodes.  We on this thread need to just... just support the shit out of each other.
I wonder if Bob Odenkirk will play the young Saul Goodman, or if they'll get a different actor. 

Saul's 4-5 minutes on the show every week are great, but I wonder if it will get old with more time.

I'm sure the creators have thought of this.  From the article, it sounds like Vince Gilligan is involved in the planning. 

Pascal
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Lone Wolf wrote: We on this thread need to just... just support the shit out of each other.
That was one of the funniest lines in the whole series.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I think that line was when i knew i loved hank's character.

I don't plan to watch the spinoff, but i cant imagine theyd use anyone other than Odenkirk.

(Apologies for the lazy lack of punctuation. My internet service provider is not providing, forcing me to take a small wireless device to SBUX).
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I'll be watching the spinoff. Hope that Mike is in it as well.
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

This latest episode is absolutely crazy!!! One of the best of the series.  I can't wait for the final two episodes.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Intense. So, did walt say all that crap on the phone to get Sky off the hook?