vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vinny VS email backdaters

Post by vnatale »

🚧 forked from New Interview With Craig Rowland \DS 🚧

Tyler wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:15 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:01 pm
Was this the same place that had the nice interview with you?

Yep. Same place. ;D

After I read what you'd put here I saw I'dreceived an email from them also announcing the interview.

However, the email was dated 2/14/24. I do look at my emails several times a day so that was not there on 2/27/24 but had been sent on 2/28/24 with a 2/14/24 date.

Any idea why they do such a thing? I think that they do that on a consistent basis.

Will finally get to listening to it today.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vinny VS email backdaters

Post by vnatale »

Tyler wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:50 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:07 am
Any idea why they do such a thing?

That I do not know. I just happened across the interview during my normal browsing.

Yet another example of how the Value Stock Geek consistently sends an email with an email date about 2 weeks prior to it actually being sent.

I was in the email box yesterday and it had nothing left in it about 24 hours ago. The email was not there. Today it is with a 2/21/24 date.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.55 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New interview with Craig Rowland

Post by Tyler »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:15 am
Yet another example of how the Value Stock Geek consistently sends an email with an email date about 2 weeks prior to it actually being sent.

I was in the email box yesterday and it had nothing left in it about 24 hours ago. The email was not there. Today it is with a 2/21/24 date.
My educated guess is that it’s related to the fact that VSG makes his podcasts available to subscribers 2 weeks before he makes them public.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Tyler wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:28 pm

My educated guess is that it’s related to the fact that VSG makes his podcasts available to subscribers 2 weeks before he makes them public.

A pretty big oops on his part to have this happen.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:47 pm

A pretty big oops on his part to have this happen.

It's a regular occurrence. Happens every time.

Generally, this is the behavior of senders of unwanted emails.

When I asked someone his opinion of why they did this ... he hypothesized they did it so that their emails would be the top ones (first ones) in your In Box.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:49 pmWhen I asked someone his opinion of why they did this ... he hypothesized they did it so that their emails would be the top ones (first ones) in your In Box.

Huh. At least for me it means there's approximately zero chance I would ever know it had existed.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:30 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:49 pmWhen I asked someone his opinion of why they did this ... he hypothesized they did it so that their emails would be the top ones (first ones) in your In Box.

Huh. At least for me it means there's approximately zero chance I would ever know it had existed.

Explain yourself further?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 pm

Currently my inbox goes back to 2020. A new email appearing at a random point in the middle would be a needle in a haystack that I wouldn't even know to go looking for.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

A lot of email is sorted by newest first, Vin.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 pm

Currently my inbox goes back to 2020. A new email appearing at a random point in the middle would be a needle in a haystack that I wouldn't even know to go looking for.

That better explains it.

I always do extensive filtering on all my incoming email to little ends up in my In Box. What does end up there gets looked at and moved each morning, like I just did a few minutes ago.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:21 am
A lot of email is sorted by newest first, Vin.

If what you say is true then those older date emailers are doing the exact wrong thing.

Do email programs give you the choice of either newest or oldest first?

I just checked with my ancient Eudora email which I use for person. It always has oldest on top.

I don't have the Office 365 Outlook open that I use for business but I know it has newest on top. But without it being open cannot check to see if that can be reversed so that oldest is on top.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:59 am Do email programs give you the choice of either newest or oldest first?
I have traditionally used web mail and not programs. Those are constantly updating seemlessly but I sort for newest first where I can.
Now that I spend a lot of time on mobile devices, I have apps for things like protonmail, and those seem to put newest on top.

Every once in a while I filter for Unread only, and I guess that would catch a backdated email.

I just checked my gmail app and that has Newest first as well.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

He’s on twitter @ValueStockGeek
Maybe you could ask him what’s up if you have an account there.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:59 am
dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:21 am A lot of email is sorted by newest first, Vin.
If what you say is true then those older date emailers are doing the exact wrong thing.

Do email programs give you the choice of either newest or oldest first?

I just checked with my ancient Eudora email which I use for person. It always has oldest on top.

I don't have the Office 365 Outlook open that I use for business but I know it has newest on top. But without it being open cannot check to see if that can be reversed so that oldest is on top.

Mine also has newest on top, but the view is always the bottom-most.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:15 am
He’s on twitter @ValueStockGeek
Maybe you could ask him what’s up if you have an account there.

After today receiving one dated February 28th .. I both responded to that email asking plus sent this tweet to him:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (9.72 KiB) Viewed 590 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I could not tell if I received a response to my tweet.

But he did respond by following me so I followed him back.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That would be awesome if he responded but with a backdated email.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

The "educated guess" wins the prize!

He responded quickly to my email to him yesterday:

"The podcasts are released behind a paywall for two weeks, then they go wide. So if you're a paying subscriber, you get early access to the episode on substack. Then, they get emailed out to the free audience 2 weeks later.

Question I still have is I'd always thought that my Eudora email showed the date that I received the email, not the date that they were sent. Also, how does it have a February 28 date if it is not sent until March 13?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:29 am

"The podcasts are released behind a paywall for two weeks, then they go wide. So if you're a paying subscriber, you get early access to the episode on substack. Then, they get emailed out to the free audience 2 weeks later.

Question I still have is I'd always thought that my Eudora email showed the date that I received the email, not the date that they were sent. Also, how does it have a February 28 date if it is not sent until March 13?

It's actually not terribly easy for a mail client to operate on the date a message was received. The message stored on-disk in your mailbox probably doesn't have a "date received" header, whereas every message has a "date" header which is set by the sender side usually at the time of sending.

Picture physical mail: each letter you receive is (presumably) dated, but in order to sort your mail in the order it was received, you have to put it in a stack which is never modified (not really an option for mail clients since they aren't in control of what's happening on the server) or attempt to use postmarks to guess when each was received. Most of the time the guesses will be right because most email is received shortly after being sent.

In this case, the message is being composed and then sent 2 weeks later. I think it's weird that the message doesn't have a header giving the date it was sent rather than the date the message was composed. If I were advising this guy it's something I would insist on fixing.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:48 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:29 am

It's actually not terribly easy for a mail client to operate on the date a message was received. The message stored on-disk in your mailbox probably doesn't have a "date received" header, whereas every message has a "date" header which is set by the sender side usually at the time of sending.

Picture physical mail: each letter you receive is (presumably) dated, but in order to sort your mail in the order it was received, you have to put it in a stack which is never modified (not really an option for mail clients since they aren't in control of what's happening on the server) or attempt to use postmarks to guess when each was received. Most of the time the guesses will be right because most email is received shortly after being sent.

In this case, the message is being composed and then sent 2 weeks later. I think it's weird that the message doesn't have a header giving the date it was sent rather than the date the message was composed. If I were advising this guy it's something I would insist on fixing.

Thanks for the explanation.

My ancient email program -- Eudora -- does (in part) provide me with this information:

X-Mailgun-Tag: post
X-Mailgun-Track-Clicks: false
Message-Id: <20240228090035.3.3f5c348a985cf3f4@mg2.substack.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:00:35 +0000
Feedback-ID: post-141196316:cat-post:pub-263142:substack
sender: Value Stock Geek from Security Analysis <valuestockgeek@substack.com>
References: <post-141196316@substack.com>
In-Reply-To: <post-141196316@substack.com>
Reply-To: Value Stock Geek from Security Analysis
<reply+2c2brw&3ifd&&8e8edd7f25d7108cf84073dd1e4597f611e645c1328a45f2b04cf9a14549e630@mg1.substack.com>
List-Owner: <mailto:valuestockgeek@substack.com>
List-URL: <https://www.securityanalysis.org/>
List-Archive: <https://www.securityanalysis.org/archive>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.securityanalysis.org/action ... pires=365d>
List-Unsubscribe-Post: List-Unsubscribe=One-Click
List-Id: <valuestockgeek.substack.com>
List-Post: <https://www.securityanalysis.org/p/phil ... -macro-and>
X-Mailgun-Variables: {"category": "post", "email_generated_at": "1710316902981", "is_freemail":
"true", "post_audience": "everyone", "post_id": "141196316", "post_type":
"podcast", "pub_community_enabled": "true", "publication_id": "263142",
"subdomain": "valuestockgeek", "user_id": "163849"}
X-CMAE-Envelope:

Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 04:02:28 -0400