From MacOS back to Windows/Linux

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

From MacOS back to Windows/Linux

Post by dualstow »

This story has bounced from a signature to the Signatures thread, so I thought I should create a place for updates.

Story begins here viewtopic.php?p=252480#p252480
but the gist is:
dualstow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm
Tortoise wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:35 pm
dualstow wrote: vinny was right. i officially regret buying another Mac
What was Vinny right about, and why do you officially regret buying another Mac?
Mac wouldn't recognize the apple keyboard that worked on an older model of the same Mac. I had to use a bluetooth kbd to set up, and thank God I had one. But after a restart, it didn't. Ok, so I know what to do with every restart to get that wired keyboard recognized again.

But then the Mac was in sleep mode too long, a cardinal sin...

And then an OS update killed everything. Even the bluetooth kbd wouldn't connect.

I tried some tricks and got it working again, for now. And, I ordered a generic kbd because supposedly that helps.
But this is silly. It's an Apple keyboard for shit's sake.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: From MacOS back to Windows/Linux

Post by dualstow »

Update:

It’s been a journey O0

If anyone else comes across the same problem, a cheap keyboard from Amazon does the trick, although you still have to unplug and replug it every time the computer sleeps. (This fix will *not* necessarily work for the Apple keyboard).

Apple is going to let me return the Mac mini because of some holiday extension. Unfortunately, I’m getting on a plane soon, so things are rushed. I wanted to confirm that Apple is aware of this issue with Mac silicon but has no fix, but was not willing to be transferred to another person to get that answer. I’m just thrilled that I can do a return.

Bought a ThinkPad that is older than my last Mac(!) and it’s working great.
It’ll be nice to have a working machine after the return to print boarding passes and such, and I won’t have to use the wife’s computer.

Next challenge is to copy the whole computer without using Time Machine (Apple’s proprietary backup).
I think EXFAT is the way to go for the file format.
I’m also burning data DVDs and Bluray discs which is cumbersome, but they seem to be universally read by Macs and PCs.

Then it’s down to wipe & ship. Reset the Mac, pack and FedEx.

Like Vinny, I still love iPads. I’m typing this on one now.
Will probably buy a nice desktop PC that will power my glorious new monitor next year.
I would also like to buy an old monitor that works with my old Mac mini. That machine is fine and runs High Sierra OS. (Its monitor died).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

There are posts from Tortoise, Mountaineer, Vinny et al in the Signatures thread linked at the top.

One from Vinny:
But, in the Windows world, I've never seen a Windows keyboard, even ones from the 80s, 90s become obsolete or unuseable.
It’s the strangest thing. The Apple keyboard was working until a recent update, so it’s not physically broken. It just isn’t recognized for input anymore. Maybe a future OS and/or hardware change will deal with that but I won’t hold my breath.

By the same token, I won’t hold my breath for Apple to fix that glitch that sometimes rears its head when iPhone users text Android phones and it comes through as an email to the Android user who happens to have an Apple ID (ugh).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:43 am

Bought a ThinkPad that is older than my last Mac(!) and it’s working great.
It’ll be nice to have a working machine

Like Vinny, I still love iPads. I’m typing this on one now.
Will probably buy a nice desktop PC that will power my glorious new monitor next year.
I would also like to buy an old monitor that works with my old Mac mini. That machine is fine and runs High Sierra OS. (Its monitor died).

Definitely color me shocked to read this! Hope it continues to all work out the best for you.

I'm assisting one or two people in buying a Windows laptop.

Can you give any details on what you bought with URLs (if possible)?

Exact model

Where bought

Price paid

New / Used / Refurbished

Anything else you'd consider relevant
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Can do. Want me to pm you with my email?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:34 pm
Can do. Want me to pm you with my email?

Sure.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."