Who do you think is the greatest entrepreneur of all time, and why?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

John D. Rockefeller
25%
Warren Buffett
25%
Jeff Bezos
25%
Elon Musk
25%
Thomas Edison
No votes
Andrew Carnegie
No votes
Henry Ford
No votes
Walt Disney
No votes
Bill Gates
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 4
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Who, in your mind, is the greatest entrepreneur of all time? I've made a poll so we can chat about it. Many of the big names in history are there. Obviously not all can be included with a selection limit of 10, so I included an "Other" option that people can choose.

My personal choice is Warren Buffett. To me, Buffett sets himself apart from other entrepreneurs because I think his holding company approach to building wealth gives his empire more flexibility and resilience than other business behemoths. Berkshire is not in any specific industry per se. Rather, the company engages its capital wherever the opportunity happens to be. It's a diversified empire that isn't tied to a specific sector that could get blindsided by a rogue wave. This, I think, gives the company staying power that I think others likely don't have or won't have over time.

As an example, if I were forced to pick which business would still be around 100 years from now - Berkshire or, say, Microsoft - I would certainly pick Berkshire.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who do you think is the greatest entrepreneur of all time, and why?

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:31 am
Who, in your mind, is the greatest entrepreneur of all time? I've made a poll so we can chat about it. Many of the big names in history are there. Obviously not all can be included with a selection limit of 10, so I included an "Other" option that people can choose.

My personal choice is Warren Buffett. To me, Buffett sets himself apart from other entrepreneurs because I think his holding company approach to building wealth gives his empire more flexibility and resilience than other business behemoths. Berkshire is not in any specific industry per se. Rather, the company engages its capital wherever the opportunity happens to be. It's a diversified empire that isn't tied to a specific sector that could get blindsided by a rogue wave. This, I think, gives the company staying power that I think others likely don't have or won't have over time.

As an example, if I were forced to pick which business would still be around 100 years from now - Berkshire or, say, Microsoft - I would certainly pick Berkshire.

Aren't entrepreneurs generally associated with starting something far smaller than how Buffet started? And, starting something from nothing?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 am Aren't entrepreneurs generally associated with starting something far smaller than how Buffet started? And, starting something from nothing?
I would say Buffett qualifies, no?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:20 am
vnatale wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 am Aren't entrepreneurs generally associated with starting something far smaller than how Buffet started? And, starting something from nothing?
I would say Buffett qualifies, no?

I had never thought of him as an entrepreneur before, and so far I'm unconvinced.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

One definition:

What is the true meaning of an entrepreneur?
The most common definition is that an entrepreneur is a person who creates a new business venture with all the possible risks. He is the person who brings an idea to the table for a new business. Then he acquires resources, labor, and capital to set up the business, produce goods and services.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

I would have voted Steve Jobs if he had been an option.

There is a difference between an investor and an entrepreneur. Investors invest in entrepreneurs. I think of Buffett as an investor.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

glennds wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:52 pm I would have voted Steve Jobs if he had been an option.

There is a difference between an investor and an entrepreneur. Investors invest in entrepreneurs. I think of Buffett as an investor.
Agree.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.