Elizabeth Holmes

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Elizabeth Holmes

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:45 am

From "youngest self-made female billionaire" to now in prison making $0.12 in the cafeteria for the next 11 years. What a stunning fall from grace.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/06/07/ ... ts-report/

I still remember seeing her, years back, on the cover of a magazine at my local book store. The title proudly declared "THE NEXT STEVE JOBS". I recall feeling a sense of envy about this woman, around my age, achieving so much in so little time. It's funny how things are frequently not quite as they appear. She duped some high-powered people with her claims, Henry Kissinger and Rupert Murdoch among them.

I suppose it's one thing to produce vaporware when all you're promising is some new laptop design that's 20% faster than the last generation. But when you're dealing with products that directly concern peoples' health that's something else entirely. This 11.25 year sentence seemed like something of a warning to the rest of the biotech industry. Hopefully something similar does not befall Elon Musk and Neuralink.
πŸ›ž The All-Terrain Portfolio πŸ›ž
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Elizabeth Holmes

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:58 am

I've had this in front of me for many days in an attempt to prod me to watch it:

https://www.max.com/movies/1d7c48f8-806 ... 00lwPkWHAJ

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley (HBO)
: An inside look at Theranos and its founder Elizabeth Holmes, whose ambition spawned one of the biggest frauds in Silicon Valley.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:13 pm

One of the most troubling things in the Elizabeth Holmes story is her second child, conceived after conviction but before sentencing and used by her attorneys as a basis for her petition for remaining out of prison pending her appeal.

The question of course being did she bring a child into the world as part of a legal strategy? Maybe yes, maybe no, not a good look either way.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:15 pm

Smith1776 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:45 am

She duped some high-powered people with her claims, Henry Kissinger and Rupert Murdoch among them.

She fooled a lot of people. Or at least, she had a lot of people onboard whom she lied to and who took her at her word. Because if you’re not a scientist yourself, how can you even check? I guess they should have some hired some independent testers.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:53 pm

dualstow wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:15 pm

She duped some high-powered people with her claims, Henry Kissinger and Rupert Murdoch among them.

She fooled a lot of people. Or at least, she had a lot of people onboard whom she lied to and who took her at her word. Because if you’re not a scientist yourself, how can you even check? I guess they should have some hired some independent testers.

O0
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:15 pm

We'll see how much time she actually serves.

https://old.reddit.com/r/redscarepod/co ... ed_mother/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 pm

Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:53 pm
dualstow wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:15 pm

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes ... -91-42.jpg
{ Invest in what you know β€” Peter Lynch }

O0
Amen! πŸ––
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:25 am

glennds wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:13 pm
One of the most troubling things in the Elizabeth Holmes story is her second child, conceived after conviction but before sentencing and used by her attorneys as a basis for her petition for remaining out of prison pending her appeal.

The question of course being did she bring a child into the world as part of a legal strategy? Maybe yes, maybe no, not a good look either way.
My guess is yes - she conceived a child as a way to avoid prison for as long as possible...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:30 pm

vnatale wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:58 am

I've had this in front of me for many days in an attempt to prod me to watch it:

: An inside look at Theranos and its founder Elizabeth Holmes, whose ambition spawned one of the biggest frauds in Silicon Valley.

Am now about 15 minutes into this and it is quite good so far. Well done.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:32 pm

A good timeline of her and her company.

https://www.the-sun.com/wp-content/uplo ... MELINE.jpg
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:37 am

Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:30 pm

I've been meaning to watch this one. I was waiting for the Jennifer Lawrence rendition of the Elizabeth Holmes story to be released, but I only recently found out that the project was cancelled. Apparently Lawrence saw Amanda Seyfriend's performance as Elizabeth Holmes and didn't feel as though she could top it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:05 am

Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:37 am

I've been meaning to watch this one. I was waiting for the Jennifer Lawrence rendition of the Elizabeth Holmes story to be released, but I only recently found out that the project was cancelled. Apparently Lawrence saw Amanda Seyfriend's performance as Elizabeth Holmes and didn't feel as though she could top it.

Finished watching it last night and it remained excellent throughout.

Until I just read what you had written I was unaware there was something else to watch about Elizabeth Holmes:

https://www.etonline.com/the-dropout-in ... %20Dropout.

Also, when I get intrigued about something, I, of course, want to read a book(s) about it. Anyone have any recommended ones on this subject?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:17 pm

Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:05 am

Until I just read what you had written I was unaware there was something else to watch about Elizabeth Holmes:

Also, when I get intrigued about something, I, of course, want to read a book(s) about it. Anyone have any recommended ones on this subject?
Bad Blood by John Carreyrou!
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:13 pm

https://old.reddit.com/r/Theranos/top/?sort=top&t=all

So what systemic changes are needed? Its never as simple as "this one person was evil, end of story"

From my own lab experience I saw that only basic data collection like the Genome project should be tax funded. But this was all private(?)

edit1 https://old.reddit.com/r/Theranos/comme ... e/hrc53cn/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:43 pm

Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:17 pm

Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:05 am

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou!

Thanks! Just bought a delivered paperback version for $6.36. Will read it soon after it arrives.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:21 pm

Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:43 pm
Thanks! Just bought a delivered paperback version for $6.36. Will read it soon after it arrives.
Let us know what you think of it. O0

The whole story is just so fascinating to me. I often wonder what she's thinking right now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:37 am

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:21 pm

The whole story is just so fascinating to me. I often wonder what she's thinking right now.

Or, what was she thinking for all those years while she was perpetrating such a massive fraud!

I know you are Canadian.

For U.S. history the only comparable business story I can think of would be Enron.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:19 am

I had thought that "The Dropout" was a movie but was happy to find out it is a 8 part series. I'm on the second episode and so far all has been quite good. No Yankees game tonight so should be able to get in an additional 3 or 4 episodes.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:57 am

The way Carreyrou broke the story is a testament to the importance of investigative journalism. The scale of the fraud almost seems proportional to the degree that everyone wanted to believe her story because it was such a good one. Carreyrou was one of very few who asked "what if" and sought proof.

As far as what she's thinking now, I can only speculate, but this behavior is a form of sociopathy. I doubt she feels any remorse or accountability. Total self-interest with no regard for right and wrong would be my guess. The timing and circumstance of her second child's birth is especially reprehensible, or at the very least grossly irresponsible.

It's interesting how in hindsight the black turtlenecks and fake deep voice are obvious signs of something being awry. But at the time, I like most, thought it was just such a good story of innovation, it was just so easy to believe she was some kind of wunderkind.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:28 pm

Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:57 am

The way Carreyrou broke the story is a testament to the importance of investigative journalism. The scale of the fraud almost seems proportional to the degree that everyone wanted to believe her story because it was such a good one. Carreyrou was one of very few who asked "what if" and sought proof.

As far as what she's thinking now, I can only speculate, but this behavior is a form of sociopathy. I doubt she feels any remorse or accountability. Total self-interest with no regard for right and wrong would be my guess. The timing and circumstance of her second child's birth is especially reprehensible, or at the very least grossly irresponsible.

It's interesting how in hindsight the black turtlenecks and fake deep voice are obvious signs of something being awry. But at the time, I like most, thought it was just such a good story of innovation, it was just so easy to believe she was some kind of wunderkind.
Agree on the lack of remorse...

She had the Steve Jobs turtleneck - now if she would have just had a Steve Wozniak type to really make the concept work.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:14 pm

Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:57 am

Obviously this is a TV series which does not have to hew to the truth or facts so she may or may not have said what I heard in an episode a short while ago: "I don't feel what other people feel." -- which is a characteristic of a sociopath.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:41 am

GT wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:28 pm
She had the Steve Jobs turtleneck - now if she would have just had a Steve Wozniak type to really make the concept work.
Good one lol!!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:02 am

Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:41 am

GT wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:28 pm

Good one lol!!

Finished watching the 8 part series last night. Consistently excellent from start to finish.

Book to arrive in a week or two. Will read it quite quickly once it arrives. But, maybe, I'll get a nice surprise and it will get to me sooner than then.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:56 am

Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:02 am
Finished watching the 8 part series last night. Consistently excellent from start to finish.

Book to arrive in a week or two. Will read it quite quickly once it arrives. But, maybe, I'll get a nice surprise and it will get to me sooner than then.
I just got a copy too!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:06 pm

Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:56 am

Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:02 am

I just got a copy too!

I had thought you'd already read it as you were the one who recommended it to me.

And, now that I finished the series I see that is the book to read, given that it is by the Wall Street Journal reporter who wrote the stories in that paper.

The scene with him and his boss going against her legal team, led by famed attorney David Boises, was a classic! Highly entertaining!