Tyler interviewed!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tyler interviewed!

Post by vnatale » Wed May 17, 2023 5:34 pm

Was quite please to receive this email today telling me that there was an hour+ interview with our own Tyler! He is far to humble to let us know about it so I am letting all here know.

Finished listening to it once and am now on my second listen.

Fit quite well in with it motivating me to do some no mind computer work that I'd successfully procrastinated in not doing for about a week and one-half. Got all that work done while listening to the excellent interview.

The interviewer is the creator of The Weird Portfolio. When that topic was initially created here I was quite intrigued by it and thought it could be the one. But realized that it was not when I read all the valid criticisms of it by the person who initiated the topic.

One of the criticisms was that The Weird Portfolio gave as one of his reasons for investing in gold was that it was inflation protection.

Earlier in the interview in explaining the gold part of the Golden Butterfly Tyler stated that gold is NOT an inflation protector. Somehow that seemed to go right by the interviewer as he made no comment to Tyler's statement.

At the end of the interview Tyler asks the interviewer about his The Weird Portfolio. Tyler is overall quite positive regarding it.

All an all an excellent interview to listen to.

I don't think I'd ever heard of thinking of a gold investment as an international investment since it is priced by what is going on internationally.

Finally, assuming Tyler is reading this .....Tyler is there any kind of courtesy wherein you get to also put this interview on your web site?

https://www.securityanalysis.org/p/tyle ... il#details

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (49.97 KiB) Viewed 5240 times

Went back to the email and saw that it included all of this:

Tyler runs the website https://portfoliocharts.com/ which features a variety of useful data visualization tools and back testing for asset allocations.

The website features sample portfolios and also contains tools for users to create their own DIY asset allocations that are backed by data. I’ve used the tools on the website to create my own asset allocation.

In this conversation, we discuss Tyler’s journey as an investor.

Tyler is very much a believer in the power of using uncorrelated asset classes like treasuries, bonds, gold, and stock factors to create robust portfolios of uncorrelated assets.

Links:

The portfolio charts website which contains Tyler’s blog along with the backtesting & data visualization tools.

https://portfoliocharts.com/

Harry Browne’s book, ‘Fail Safe Investing’. https://www.amazon.com/Fail-Safe-Invest ... B003JMF4GG

‘Work Less, Live More’ by Robert Clyatt. https://www.amazon.com/Work-Less-Live-M ... B01N9YCPY0

Shannon’s Demon, a great mathematical example of the power of diversification. https://portfoliocharts.com/2022/04/12/ ... ing-bonus/

A Bogleheads thread about an investor who levered up his portfolio prior to 2008 and posted in real time on the thread. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5934

My own asset allocation strategy, the weird portfolio. This is now featured in the sample portfolios on the Portfolio Charts website. https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/weird-portfolio/
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tyler interviewed!

Post by Tyler » Wed May 17, 2023 8:29 pm

Nice! I appreciate you sharing this. It was a fun talk.
vnatale wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:34 pm
Finally, assuming Tyler is reading this .....Tyler is there any kind of courtesy wherein you get to also put this interview on your web site?
I believe Value Stock Geek shares his podcast on his paid Substack first, but my understanding is that he makes them freely available after a few weeks. I don't plan to host it myself, but I'll certainly link to it once it's widely available.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 18, 2023 6:21 am

Can’t wait to hear the voice!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 18, 2023 7:52 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:21 am

Can’t wait to hear the voice!

It's a professional sounding voice.

I kept racking my mind to try to remember if I'd prior heard a tiny clip of Tyler somewhere.

During the interview you also get a better sense of who Tyler is. Nothing in contradiction to what we've experienced here or at his web site. Just a nice, expanded version.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu May 18, 2023 10:13 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:52 am
I kept racking my mind to try to remember if I'd prior heard a tiny clip of Tyler somewhere.
I've done a handful of speaking things in the past. Early on in Portfolio Charts I spoke with Jake on The Voluntary Life (Ep. 223). I read my own article about bond convexity for the Meb Faber show. And I've also spoken to a handful of local investing groups, so there may be recordings floating in the wild.

Even though I'm a little out of practice, I do like speaking. Maybe one of these days I'll tinker with a podcast.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 18, 2023 10:17 am

Tyler wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:13 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:52 am

I've done a handful of speaking things in the past. Early on in Portfolio Charts I spoke with Jake on The Voluntary Life (Ep. 223). I read my own article about bond convexity for the Meb Faber show. And I've also spoken to a handful of local investing groups, so there may be recordings floating in the wild.

Even though I'm a little out of practice, I do like speaking. Maybe one of these days I'll tinker with a podcast.

And, maybe someday you will even monetize all the incredible tools you have been providing to the world for free! There is definitely a market willing to pay out there. You've well established your solid credibility for 8 (?) years now?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu May 18, 2023 3:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:17 am
And, maybe someday you will even monetize all the incredible tools you have been providing to the world for free! There is definitely a market willing to pay out there. You've well established your solid credibility for 8 (?) years now?
Well, I do have a "Support" page now with several options if you feel so inclined. ;D
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Wed May 31, 2023 11:58 am

For anyone interested, the interview is now free for everyone.

https://www.securityanalysis.org/p/tyle ... ng#details
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:12 pm

Tyler wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:58 am

Great stuff. Thanks, Tyler!
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 31, 2023 1:15 pm

Tyler wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:58 am

Highly recommended for many reasons that you listen to it at least once!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 31, 2023 1:32 pm

I just listened from beginning to end. What a pleasure to hear.

I feel like the interviewer knows your material well and did his homework before the session, i.e. there were no lazy questions.

The Shannon’s Demon thing made me think of something I always want to ask: There are a lot of people who seem to do fine without exactly rebalancing but buying the lagging asset. Does that still count as one kind of rebalancing? If not, what can we call it? It’s got to count for something, otherwise God would not have invented the XIRR function.

Farming vs Hunting !!!!!! ®Vinny

I started out convinced that I heard no Texas accent and thinking that if you said you were from Rhode Island, I’d believe you. But then, even though I don’t hear a Texas tie and boots, I do hear something in “percent” and “thing.”

I got distracted for a couple minutes in the middle, so I’ll take Vin’s advice and listen more than once.

I think I visited securityanalysis.org in the past, but I don’t really know Value Stock Geek and am eager to check out more of his thoughts. Clyatt the Sandwich Portfolio guy as well.

Lastly, I think the crazy but honest Boglehead you’re looking for (or bogglehead, as the interviewer pronounced it) is MarketTimer
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/member ... ile&u=3089

Thanks, Tyler!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 31, 2023 2:36 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:32 pm

I just listened from beginning to end. What a pleasure to hear.

I feel like the interviewer knows your material well and did his homework before the session, i.e. there were no lazy questions.

The Shannon’s Demon thing made me think of something I always want to ask: There are a lot of people who seem to do fine without exactly rebalancing but buying the lagging asset. Does that still count as one kind of rebalancing? If not, what can we call it? It’s got to count for something, otherwise God would not have invented the XIRR function.

Farming vs Hunting !!!!!! ®Vinny

I started out convinced that I heard no Texas accent and thinking that if you said you were from Rhode Island, I’d believe you. But then, even though I don’t hear a Texas tie and boots, I do hear something in “percent” and “thing.”

I got distracted for a couple minutes in the middle, so I’ll take Vin’s advice and listen more than once.

I think I visited securityanalysis.org in the past, but I don’t really know Value Stock Geek and am eager to check out more of his thoughts. Clyatt the Sandwich Portfolio guy as well.

Lastly, I think the crazy but honest Boglehead you’re looking for (or bogglehead, as the interviewer pronounced it) is MarketTimer
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/member ... ile&u=3089

Thanks, Tyler!

I am from Rhode Island! What do you think a Rhode Island accent is?

I grew up my first 22 years in Rhode Island until I moved to Western MA and have stayed for the last 50 years. For some reason most people think my accent is from New York!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 31, 2023 2:56 pm

I just picked it semi-randomly. I was going to say New England, but I didn’t mean a Cliff Claven Boston accent or a Fred Gwynne in a Stephen King movie in Maine accent. So I went with one that most people probably aren’t familiar with.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 31, 2023 3:24 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:56 pm

I just picked it semi-randomly. I was going to say New England, but I didn’t mean a Cliff Claven Boston accent or a Fred Gwynne in a Stephen King movie in Maine accent. So I went with one that most people probably aren’t familiar with.

When I grew up in Rhode Island there was a heavy Italian presence in various parts of the state.

There IS a distinct accent and life-time Rhode Islanders say things in a way that you will hear nowhere else. There is a whole book on Rhode Island-ese and how to interpret what you hear. Being so close to Boston ... a lot of it would be most close to a Boston accent but not that much alike.

Knowing you I will bet that you can tell me what "Jeet" is asking.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 31, 2023 7:15 pm

Did you eat
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 31, 2023 8:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:15 pm
Did you eat

I had 100% confidence you'd get that!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed May 31, 2023 10:03 pm

I just finished giving it a listen.

Over a decade ago, Tex said he nominated Craig as “the most level-headed person on the Internet”.

I think we now need to pass that torch onto Tyler.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 31, 2023 10:35 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:03 pm

Over a decade ago, Tex said he nominated Craig as “the most level-headed person on the Internet”.

I think that I could give a vote to your candidate!
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:28 am

Smith1776 wrote:

Ha! That would make for a nice title on a business card. I'm glad it comes across that way, even if I'm occasionally tied in knots internally trying to figure out what to say. :P

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:32 pm
When I moved to California for a few years, I remember that one of the first things people asked was "where's your accent?" I have no idea how I never developed one, as several family members have a fairly strong Texas drawl. I do suspect that years of consulting helped work out some of the obvious clues, but I have no doubt that there are a few keywords that still slip in from time to time (yep, yall, etc).

And yes, VSG is a really good interviewer which made it easy. He does know my work well, and if you read his ebook about the Weird Portfolio you'll even see some of my charts at the end. So it's definitely not just another generic Q&A. He gets it.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:36 pm

Tyler wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:28 am
Smith1776 wrote:

Ha! That would make for a nice title on a business card. I'm glad it comes across that way, even if I'm occasionally tied in knots internally trying to figure out what to say. :P
It certainly didn't come across that way.

Your interview reminded me of Craig Rowland's interview on Tradestreaming Radio with Zack Miller. Honestly, it would have been nice if your interview was even longer and you guys had the opportunity to start talking at length about macroeconomic history and how the GB would have done during the depression, the 50s, 70s, etc. Maybe about how SCV related more to Buffett, Graham, and Security Analysis, etc. The way I see it, the more interviews you do the more people out there will be encouraged to invest in a balanced portfolio, which is great.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:39 pm

Well, in a lot of ways speaking is easier than writing. I’ll sometimes spend hours thinking about how to reply to a post to communicate the right tone, while when talking it’s easier to just be yourself and clear up any disconnect on the spot.

Maybe that just means I should try speaking more. I do enjoy it. So thanks for the encouragement!
snedgar

Post by snedgar » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 pm

You made me smile as you listed off the first three books on my financial shelf: Fail-Safe Investing, Work Less, Live More and Your Money or Your Life.

I bet there are a lot of copies of those books in the homes of members of this board!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:50 pm

snedgar wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 pm

You made me smile as you listed off the first three books on my financial shelf: Fail-Safe Investing, Work Less, Live More and Your Money or Your Life.

I bet there are a lot of copies of those books in the homes of members of this board!

I have all three books.