Asset location

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Asset location

Post by vnatale » Wed May 17, 2023 2:44 pm

Great information here on Asset Allocation considerations. Quite relevant to this forum as in implementing The Permanent Portfolio one must decide where each of the four assets should be -- taxable or non-taxable. Then for non-taxable, traditional or Roth?

I believe that Xan has stated that he invests the same 4 X 25% in both taxable and non-taxable?

My 2 Asset Location Pet Peeves
https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/my-tw ... et-peeves/
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Asset location

Post by Smith1776 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:37 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:44 pm
Great information here on Asset Allocation considerations. Quite relevant to this forum as in implementing The Permanent Portfolio one must decide where each of the four assets should be -- taxable or non-taxable. Then for non-taxable, traditional or Roth?

I believe that Xan has stated that he invests the same 4 X 25% in both taxable and non-taxable?

I follow Ben Felix's advice that it's likely best (and certainly simplest) to just have your asset allocation be the same in all accounts regardless of whether tax advantaged or not.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue May 23, 2023 1:21 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:37 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:44 pm

I follow Ben Felix's advice that it's likely best (and certainly simplest) to just have your asset allocation be the same in all accounts regardless of whether tax advantaged or not.

Who is Ben Felix? Not someone I recognize from this forum. I do seem to recall reading a few times that that was Xan's philosophy. Or, I may be mixing that up with another fixed philosophy that Xan has.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:01 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 1:21 pm

Who is Ben Felix? Not someone I recognize from this forum. I do seem to recall reading a few times that that was Xan's philosophy. Or, I may be mixing that up with another fixed philosophy that Xan has.
Ben Felix has what I think is by far and away the best finance podcast on the internet. Period. O0

https://www.youtube.com/@rationalreminder
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue May 23, 2023 11:10 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:01 pm

vnatale wrote:

Ben Felix has what I think is by far and away the best finance podcast on the internet. Period. O0

With that type of recommendation, I may have to put his podcast in competition for time with listening to Lex Fridman podcasts (which I have gotten far behind in listening). With Lex even though I have no interest in the topic somehow he makes them interesting. The last one I listened to was all about grappling: B-Team Jiu Jitsu: Craig Jones, Nicky Rod, and Nicky Ryan | Lex Fridman Podcast #363.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:04 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:10 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:01 pm
vnatale wrote:

With that type of recommendation, I may have to put his podcast in competition for time with listening to Lex Fridman podcasts (which I have gotten far behind in listening). With Lex even though I have no interest in the topic somehow he makes them interesting. The last one I listened to was all about grappling: B-Team Jiu Jitsu: Craig Jones, Nicky Rod, and Nicky Ryan | Lex Fridman Podcast #363.
He has a recent interview with a researcher named David Blanchett that I really enjoyed. Highly recommended!