Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Simon Baron-Cohen’s Autism test

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:12 pm

A fork of the Dems-Darnedest Thread

THE TEST https://aspergerstest.net/

Yes, that’s Sacha Baron-Cohen’s brother cousin. He’s well known in the field.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
boglerdude wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 pm
Vinny prob has autism. He's like Data from Star Trek. That shouldnt be interpreted as an insult, its a talent/superpower in many circumstances, and he's a happy dude.
vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:51 pm

Not the way anyone who has met me in person has ever described me.

When I go here:

https://www.lifehack.org/805825/success ... ith-autism

I read this list:

People with autism can face any number of different challenges in life, including, but by no means limited to:

Difficulty in communicating with others
Troubles maintaining friendships
Obsessive interests
Repetitive body movements such as hand flapping or rocking back and forth
Delayed speech and language skills.

First two and last two do not apply. Middle one definitely does.
vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:02 pm

By the way when you made prior comments along these lines .... they led me to do two things:

1) Watched a season and one-half of Big Bang Theory. It was somewhat work to watch it as it represented to me what I've always thought TV shows were compared to movies - vastly inferior. The ever present laugh track was totaly annoyance. Did not know if it in front of a live audience or it was strictly canned laughter. Finally, Sheldon. The only way I bore any resemblance to him any way was not being the first to see things between the lines.

2) I also took this test:

https://aspergerstest.net/?fbclid=IwAR1 ... ZRf-64W0pc

After taking it below is the discussion I had with someone who works with autistic children. By the way ... he scored a 7. Will you take it and reveal your score? Anyone else?

Capture.JPG // 🚧 See Dems thread for screenshot/DS
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Simon Baron-Cohen’s Autism test

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:12 pm

snedgar wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:53 am
Thanks, Vinny. I like your challenge.
(My son does have Autism, though.)
Maddy wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:22 am
Asperger's is an interesting subject that deserves its own thread.

It is generally described as "high functioning autism," consistent with the idea that autism presents on a spectrum. The idea of a spectrum (think linear) is probably a crude representation of what is really going on, since there are a whole lot of different presentations and because functionality has a lot to do with how well a particular set of abilities/disabilities fits into the cultural norm. A person who has trouble holding a job in a service-oriented economy may excel--and in fact define the norm--in a high-tech one.

In addition to the usual criteria, some defining characteristics I've noticed:

(1) Hypersensitivity to external stimuli--noises, touch, etc.--and the consequent need for a controlled environment.

(2) Inability to multi-task. A need to focus in on one thing at a time, usually intently.

(3) Inability to filter and process multiple simultaneous pieces of information from the environment.

Example: Can't sit down and do taxes until the room is cleaned up.

Example: Interpersonal interactions best when one-on-one. Interacting with two or more people at once becomes confusing and involves too much simultaneous processing of information.

Worst nightmare: A cocktail party in which one person is talking to you, the boss' wife is signaling for you to come over, there is loud music playing in the background, there are three other conversations going on within earshot, the smell of a woman's perfume is bringing back an unidentifiable memory from the past, a waiter with a tray has just approached and is vying for your attention, someone just told a joke that you didn't get and you're still trying to figure it out, there's a troubling waft of cigar smoke, etc.

(4) A great need for predictability. Difficulty adjusting to/accepting changes in plan. If an event is set for 3:00 and it gets put back to 4:00, many Aspies flip out.

(5) Difficulty planning and executing a series of steps toward a goal.

(6) A tendency to take things literally. A tendency to miss nuance and subtleties.

(7) A need to have social/emotional concepts explained in logical, left-brain terms.

(8) When confronted with an interpersonal problem (e.g., a marital problem), an Aspie will turn to research to solve it.

(9) Issues with trauma/chronic stress.

(10) Normal tone of conversation often viewed by others as pedantic.

(11) Inability to dance. Inability to understand why someone would dance.

(12) [For some] Inability to appreciate the real-world consequences of the pursuit of their special interests. (Think Bill Gates)
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:14 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 am
I got 30, in the "borderline indication" region. Interesting. I don't really identify with anything on Maddy's list, except for the dancing one.

I wouldn't say I have an inability to multi-task, but I do strongly prefer not to. And my filter is pretty good: I can (and will) focus on doing taxes no matter how messy the room is.
Maddy wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:40 am
I scored a 37, but my score would be considerably higher if the criteria were broadened to include the spectrum of characteristics I listed (all of which are recognized features of autism).

I'm suspecting that there is a qualitative difference between Asperger's and autism, with the characteristics I've listed possibly weighing more heavily on the autism side.

I'd note that the test, aside from focusing on too narrow a spectrum of characteristics, fails to take account of the fact that many aspies have spent a lifetime learning how to compensate for their deficits so as to be able to "pass" in the workplace and to successfully navigate the social world. I learned, out of necessity, how to multi-task, though it will never come naturally and will always be enormously stressful. Out of necessity I even learned how to do a cocktail party successfully--but it will always be an exhausting ordeal--and in most respects a well-rehearsed performance.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:15 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am
11 on the test.

vnatale wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:53 am
Maddy wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:22 am
Asperger's is an interesting subject that deserves its own thread.

Thanks for this.

In my case ... 6 is a Huge one. 7 & 8 probably also apply.

To the counter...... Some have described me as the biggest multi-tasker they have ever encountered. Also, I'd regularly have on three sound sources - C-Span, sports talk radio, a replay of a baseball game - and let my attention drift to whichever was providing the most interesting content at the time. Now I either have only one but sometimes also two sound sources on at the same time. Though when I was exercising this morning in the living room I was both listening to C-Span on the TV and the music on the radios that is playing in both the kitchen and the bathroom.
_ _ _ _ _
Vinny wrote:
(also @Maddy 🚧 )
You using the word "aspie" reminds me that after I wrote what I did last night that it had not been Bogledude's past comment that was the catalyst for me taking the test but that someone on a Solar forum who self-identified himself as an "aspie" and, seemingly, a high functioning one. That then led to me taking the test.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 pm

Ok, those excerpts largely cover it. 99%.

Vinny, I got a 31 on the test. Some of it seems rather arbitrary and if it hadn’t been designed by SBC, I’d discount it.
Then again, I’m unsurprised by the score.

One strange thing: I swear I was just on or around question 40 when the test ended 😂 Not sure if I got to answer the final 10!
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:33 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 pm

Ok, those excerpts largely cover it. 99%.

Vinny, I got a 31 on the test. Some of it seems rather arbitrary and if it hadn’t been designed by SBC, I’d discount it.
Then again, I’m unsurprised by the score.

One strange thing: I swear I was just on or around questioin 40 when the test ended 😂 Not sure if I got to answer the final 10!

Somehow you did not bring over here where I'd revealed my score so I had to go back to the original to see that I'd scored a 26. Given that I was being described as being a certain type person I'm surprised how many here have scored higher than me, including you!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:14 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:33 pm

Somehow you did not bring over here where I'd revealed my score so I had to go back to the original to see that I'd scored a 26. Given that I was being described as being a certain type person I'm surprised how many here have scored higher than me, including you!
It was in your screenshotted conversation with your friend, which carried over as “Capture.jpg” only. Feel free to repost it here.

By the way, I looked at the final questions on the quiz (option 2) and I see that I did complete it. I may like numbers but apparently I’m not good with them. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
snedgar

Post by snedgar » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:46 am

Y'all crack me up. :o
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:01 pm

That is because you scored a low of 10 on the test!

Vinny

snedgar wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:46 am

Y'all crack me up. :o
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:53 pm

I scored 32.
I'm seriously contemplating taking a run over to Las Vegas and trying my hand at counting cards. After People's Court is finished.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:49 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:53 pm
I scored 32.
I'm seriously contemplating taking a run over to Las Vegas and trying my hand at counting cards. After People's Court is finished.
👍
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:19 pm

I keep reading this thread title as “Sacha Baron Cohen” lol.

https://youtu.be/Db4CU5eQaWk
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Yup, they’re cousins. O0 I erroneously wrote brother before.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Baron-Cohen
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:54 pm

David Byrne talks about having Asperger’s
https://youtu.be/vtX6emk6U5k
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:54 pm

David Byrne talks about having Asperger’s
https://youtu.be/vtX6emk6U5k

Did you notice how much he moved about? Now unlike when he was a musical performer?

As far as Aperger's goes for myself ... I can intensely identify with some aspects of it. Other aspects not that much. Therefore I'd classify myself on the low-mild end.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:29 pm

yes! I saw his lower legs moving around like Putin in that viral clip.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:04 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:29 pm

yes! I saw his lower legs moving around like Putin in that viral clip.

Or like the first song here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CUvkrtqbIM&t=26s

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Full Uncut Movie HD)