How to find owner of found phone?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

How to find owner of found phone?

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:43 am

Anyone know of any online methods to use to find the owner of a phone I found last night?

It is password locked.

There is nothing in the Medical Information.

There does not seem to be a SIM card.

I have not heard any incoming calls on it but an alarm did go off at 7:15 AM this morning.

I do have both the IMEI and MEID numbers from the back of the phone.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How to find owner of found phone?

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:02 am

Is it an iPhone? Or android?
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 am

It is an Android.

But the major update is that just after I sent above message / request for assistance the phone owner was identified by other means and, hopefully, that owner and the phone will soon be reunited.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:39 am

Hopefully you get a nice reward of some gold bullion!
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:39 am

Hopefully you get a nice reward of some gold bullion!

I am just overjoyed that phone owner will be re-united with his phone and I do not have to exert any more efort trying to find out who he is!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:31 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 am
It is an Android.
<snip>
the phone owner was identified by other means
I found an iphone in an airport once. It wasn’t locked and I was able to text the guy’s wife who picked it up at a location chosen by me. She gave me a bottle of wine and chocolates!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:51 pm

Last night when I was initially trying to determine how to find the owner I took it out of its case and saw that it was a "1+" phone.

I had never heard of that brand and thought it might be one of those $50, $100 phones.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/OnePlus-LE2125-S ... B091XZ1MYZ

...which led me to believe that it was now a $1,000 phone!

That made all the more determined to find its owner.

Its price synced with me having seen on the back that the camera on it was a Hasselblad. I'd only prior seen that name as high-end, extremely expensive cameras.

When the person came to my house to pick it up today I asked him how old it was and what he'd paid for it and told him my surprise at what I'd found about it.

He said it was an enthusiast's phone and that it was a few years old and that he'd paid $600, $700 for it.

Anyone here know what an "enthusiast's phone" is?

I'm still far more computer oriented than phone oriented.

Finally, anyone else ever seen a OnePlus phone before?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:51 pm

You guys are honest (by the Lord’s standards). Kudos!

If only all were so this would be a far better country.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:51 pm
I'm still far more computer oriented than phone oriented.

Finally, anyone else ever seen a OnePlus phone before?
Only once in person. A guy married to someone who was friends with my wife at the time.
He wasn’t very friendly and I never saw him or his fancy phone again.

The OnePlus brand has a good reputation.

I would say an enthusiast is someone who doesn’t just want something that makes calls or orders burritos from an app. They want all the bells and whistles, and things to explore.

i get that. I have a Google Pixel (poor man’s version, though) when I would probably be happy with the cheapest Android phone on the market, or even a hand-me-down iPhone). i guess I’m an enthusiast with a phone budget. O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:35 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:08 pm

I would say an enthusiast is someone who doesn’t just want something that makes calls or orders burritos from an app. They want all the bells and whistles, and things to explore.

i get that. I have a Google Pixel (poor man’s version, though) when I would probably be happy with the cheapest Android phone on the market, or even a hand-me-down iPhone). i guess I’m an enthusiast with a phone budget. O0

I'm still lacking any specifics as to what an enthusiast type phone will do that my phone will not be able to do?

This is my phone: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NWBY8YJ/?r ... l_huc_item

Moto G Power | 2021

Is an enthusiast type phone able to run any apps that I'd be unable to run?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:13 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:35 am

Moto G Power | 2021

I can’t speak to the OnePlus, but the Pixel has certain advantages-

Always gets the newest Android OS, and promptly. It’s a google phone after all.

Your phone can run any app from the Play Store, but Pixels have built-in features like “live transcribe.” It’s so good at producing accurate text from dictation that i don’t understand why the regular dictation, also a Google product, sucks so much. You can see Live Transcribe even correcting itself as the sentence continues and it gets more context. As far as I know, non-Pixel Android phones don’t have the feature.

In settings, you can lock down access to the microphone, camera, etc. which is good for security-minded users. Not as good as the physical button on an iPhone that you can toggle off when going to the movie theater (remember those?) , but very convenient.

Of course, pricier phones have better — and sometimes more — cameras.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:39 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:13 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:35 am

Moto G Power | 2021

I can’t speak to the OnePlus, but the Pixel has certain advantages-

Always gets the newest Android OS, and promptly. It’s a google phone after all.

Your phone can run any app from the Play Store, but Pixels have built-in features like “live transcribe.” It’s so good at producing accurate text from dictation that i don’t understand why the regular dictation, also a Google product, sucks so much. You can see Live Transcribe even correcting itself as the sentence continues and it gets more context. As far as I know, non-Pixel Android phones don’t have the feature.

In settings, you can lock down access to the microphone, camera, etc. which is good for security-minded users. Not as good as the physical button on an iPhone that you can toggle off when going to the movie theater (remember those?) , but very convenient.

Of course, pricier phones have better — and sometimes more — cameras.

Thanks for that. Now better understand.

You probably remember me complaining about how torturous it was for me to attempt to text on a phone with its tiny keyboards?

That changed when the summer before last a friend showed me how to talk to text.

I'm fairly amazed at how accurate my phone is at taking what I say and putting it into text.

I've since showed that feature to other people on their phones whenever I see them pecking out a text.

I also used "Messages for web" which allows me to compose texts on this computer using its keyboard and allows me to see all incoming texts to my phone.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:39 pm

Thanks for that. Now better understand.

I’m just guessing. That’s my best guess.

I also used "Messages for web" which allows me to compose texts on this computer using its keyboard and allows me to see all incoming texts to my phone.
I love Messages for Web. It has gotten better in that I don’t need to keep scanning the QR code to reconnect the phone to the browser. Just once in a great while.

I also like that Android-to-Android texts are now secure (and I don’t think this is just a Pixel feature). it’s now using RCS(?) and not SMS. Too bad they couldn’t get Apple to play along. In short, they enjoy the peer pressure kids have to buy iPhones and don’t want to give them an easy path to getting an Android phone. So…no cooperation.

If that last pararaph is too cryptic - https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/2/2349 ... e-imessage
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:30 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:39 pm

I love Messages for Web. It has gotten better in that I don’t need to keep scanning the QR code to reconnect the phone to the browser. Just once in a great while.

I have found that almost each time Messages for Web requires me to reconnect its due to some form of operator error (me!).

Back to the Talk to text feature and its usefulness and accuracy.

I am still in the process of determining what size solar installation I am going to need.

Each morning I go around to various devices to take both temperature and various electricity readings.

I do it all talk to text. It would be extremely painful if I could not do that and either had to write it all down or type it into the phone.

Then it ties in with Messages for Web when I'm able to input all the documented information into an ongoing Excel worksheet by seeing on one of this computers monitors all the readings I'd taken on the phone.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:19 pm

You guys and dolls need to just get an iPhone. It will eliminate all the futzing with your phone, messaging, etc. Spend less time futzing and more time doing what ever your task is with the various apps - assuming you value your time as money. And, as someone said, they have a fantastic camera. I have a somewhat older iPhone 11 and I think its camera is outstanding. I expect the current 14 is even better. I no longer even carry a camera with me anywhere ... the phone is more than sufficient for great pictures (unless perhaps you are a professional photographer). But, to each his own. If you enjoy wasting time futzing go for it. YMMV.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:29 pm

I agree, Mtr, that the iPhone is rock solid. But, I like my Android phone better. O0 No real futzing, except for fun.
My neighbor, whom I love, always picks on the "green bubbles" when we text outside of the Mac ecosystem (I have a Mac and an ipad).
My solution was to get her to download the Telegram app. Pretty amazing because she's in her 70's but she did it!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:32 pm

P.S. @Vinny is there any way you can reveal how you found the owner without private details? I'm really curious.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:38 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:19 pm

You guys and dolls need to just get an iPhone. It will eliminate all the futzing with your phone, messaging, etc. Spend less time futzing and more time doing what ever your task is with the various apps - assuming you value your time as money. And, as someone said, they have a fantastic camera. I have a somewhat older iPhone 11 and I think its camera is outstanding. I expect the current 14 is even better. I no longer even carry a camera with me anywhere ... the phone is more than sufficient for great pictures (unless perhaps you are a professional photographer). But, to each his own. If you enjoy wasting time futzing go for it. YMMV.

As I've stated I'm way more a computer person than a phone person. I do not use my phone all that much and for what I do use it for it seems more than adequate.

As far as the camera goes ... though I'm not a professional photographer .... at a music festival for a day I'll take about 1,500 pictures. Just for a few hour night of basketball will be about 70 pictures and a softball game about 150.

A lot of my pictures are taken under difficult conditions - the motion of people playing sports and far too often low light conditions at indoor music events.

My friend who is oftentimes with me at those music events always has the latest, greatest (and most expensive) iPhone with him and his pictures cannot compare to the quality of mine taken with my $700 camera.

I think that as an engineer you might agree that, in general, a dedicated device for one task is going to do a better job than one device that does many tasks?

Finally, regarding iPhones. I do own a few of them (old) plus just about every other Apple product except for one of their computers.

They seem to be the epitome of planned obsolescence in that their devices become less useful once the devices can no longer be updated to the latest Apple operating system.

As far as I've seen this is NOT the case with Android phones?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:16 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:38 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
As I've stated I'm way more a computer person than a phone person. I do not use my phone all that much and for what I do use it for it seems more than adequate.

As far as the camera goes ... though I'm not a professional photographer .... at a music festival for a day I'll take about 1,500 pictures. Just for a few hour night of basketball will be about 70 pictures and a softball game about 150.

A lot of my pictures are taken under difficult conditions - the motion of people playing sports and far too often low light conditions at indoor music events.

My friend who is oftentimes with me at those music events always has the latest, greatest (and most expensive) iPhone with him and his pictures cannot compare to the quality of mine taken with my $700 camera.

I think that as an engineer you might agree that, in general, a dedicated device for one task is going to do a better job than one device that does many tasks?

Finally, regarding iPhones. I do own a few of them (old) plus just about every other Apple product except for one of their computers.

They seem to be the epitome of planned obsolescence in that their devices become less useful once the devices can no longer be updated to the latest Apple operating system.

As an engineer, I say perfect is the enemy of good. 🤓
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:19 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:16 pm

vnatale wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

Yes, that is undeniable.

However, I'm sure you will agree that inadequate is NOT acceptable.

If you are doing some measurements that need to be within 0.01 you are not going to use an instrument that is only precise to 0.10.

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:53 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:19 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Yes, that is undeniable.

If you are doing some measurements that need to be within 0.01 you are not going to use an instrument that is only precise to 0.10.
This is where common sense kicks in. That’s why I am an engineer. One has to know how much precision is necessary for the task at hand. More than necessary is a waste 🤓
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:59 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:53 pm

vnatale wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

Yes, that is undeniable.

This is where common sense kicks in. That’s why I am an engineer. One has to know how much precision is necessary for the task at hand. More than necessary is a waste 🤓

Of course. But does it not oftentimes come down to preference and taste?

For some people a certain level of performance - quality of the TV picture, quality of the sound of an audio system - would be a waste as they would not even notice it or it's not any big deal for them. For other people who really appreciate the high end it is almost a must for them.

In certain areas of life, I'm a high end person. In other areas of life, I'm quite satisfied with the low end and see spending more money to get any more than that is a waste of money. But for others they could not tolerate the low end that I'm satisfied with and HAVE to either go to moderate or high end.

This discussion between you and me actually started with you advocating for all of us to go high end when it comes to cell phones so you reached the point wherein you are arguing with yourself!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:22 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:59 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:53 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Yes, that is undeniable.

Of course. But does it not oftentimes come down to preference and taste?

For some people a certain level of performance - quality of the TV picture, quality of the sound of an audio system - would be a waste as they would not even notice it or it's not any big deal for them. For other people who really appreciate the high end it is almost a must for them.

In certain areas of life, I'm a high end person. In other areas of life, I'm quite satisfied with the low end and see spending more money to get any more than that is a waste of money. But for others they could not tolerate the low end that I'm satisfied with and HAVE to either go to moderate or high end.

This discussion between you and me actually started with you advocating for all of us to go high end when it comes to cell phones so you reached the point wherein you are arguing with yourself!
$1000 iPhone - $700 camera = $300 multi purpose high quality device that needs minimal futzing. Look how much time you have spent preparing your rather long commentary when you could have been listening to the Washington Journal or watching a certain video before commenting. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:35 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:13 pm
but the Pixel has certain advantages-
Yes, indeed, as proud owner of Google Pixel 6 Pro with the latest and greatest Android 13 version, I can (kind-of..) positively acknowledge that.
It's certainly one of the most prominent tracking devices a-la 'Big Brother' ever created, At one point my 7-year-old asked me a question that left me stunned for a while - daddy, why you bought a smartphone to spend so much time and disable/change most of its features. Because of the camera, I said (to quickly get rid of her ;D )

PS. At least it works nice with the Nova Launcher.

PPS. Guess Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro made a step ahead of tracking and profiling their users. Google became all the things they claimed they will not be.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:28 am

😂 That’s a smart 7-year-old.
If I had to have true privacy I would put GrapheneOS on it or maybe not have a phone at all. I keep the Pixel in a bag or a drawer when not in use, like a hooded falcon. And I feel like if I bought a non-Google phone, it would still find a way to spy on me. <shrug> I’m too lazy to use Graphene.
dualstow wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:32 pm
P.S. @Vinny is there any way you can reveal how you found the owner without private details? I'm really curious.
I guess not.