Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: ChatGPT and what it means for our future

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:10 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:01 pm
boglerdude wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 pm
AI wont do anything until it can walk up stairs and open doors. ie combine with robotics. Then, things could get messy
What do you think a Tesla is?
Yeah, and Boston Dynamics has already demonstrated some seriously impressive technology in that area. :o
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:14 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:42 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:30 pm
More relevant to the thread: what really excites/scares me is the threshold when AI becomes smart enough to improve itself in a self-reinforcing and recursive way. That's when the real intelligence explosion will happen IMHO.
AlphaZero (from 5 years ago) is self taught.
AlphaZero was trained solely via self-play using 5,000 first-generation TPUs to generate the games and 64 second-generation TPUs to train the neural networks, all in parallel, with no access to opening books or endgame tables. After four hours of training, DeepMind estimated AlphaZero was playing chess at a higher Elo rating than Stockfish 8; after nine hours of training, the algorithm defeated Stockfish 8 in a time-controlled 100-game tournament (28 wins, 0 losses, and 72 draws).[1][2][3] The trained algorithm played on a single machine with four TPUs.

DeepMind's paper on AlphaZero was published in the journal Science on 7 December 2018.[4] However, the AlphaZero program itself has not been made available to the public.[5] In 2019 DeepMind published a new paper detailing MuZero, a new algorithm able to generalise AlphaZero's work, playing both Atari and board games without knowledge of the rules or representations of the game.[6]
Ah yeah, I remember Agadmator on YouTube doing some really cool in-depth coverage on its games.

What I'm envisioning is when we get to that quasi-AGI stage where it starts to build its own improved computer systems and software specifically for the purpose of... building improved computer systems and software.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:50 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:09 pm
skynet.jpg
O0

{ A.I. + robotics }
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:10 pm
Yeah, and Boston Dynamics has already demonstrated some seriously impressive technology in that area. :o
True, that! They’ve come a long way from ASIMO.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:32 pm

Can one of you ask it to write a letter to Penthouse Forum?
Asking for a friend.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 pm

Write a letter to Penthouse forum. Assume it was written in the late 1970's. Use the style of the time.
Dear Penthouse Forum,

I am a married man in my late 20s and I feel that I must share my story with you in the hopes of getting advice and understanding.

Recently, I decided to take a break from my daily life and travel to a remote location for some much needed rest. I had no idea that the experience I was about to have would change my life forever.

The place I chose to visit was a small village in the mountains of Northern Italy. It was a beautiful place, far away from the hustle and bustle of the city and I felt completely at ease there.

One night, after a day of hiking, I returned to my hotel room and was surprised to find a stunningly beautiful woman waiting for me there. She told me her name was Maria and that she was a member of the local community. We talked for hours and I found myself mesmerized by her beauty and charm.

At some point in the night, I made a mistake and we ended up in bed together. It was an experience unlike any other I had before and I knew that I would never be the same again.

We continued to see each other while I was in the village and I was filled with an overwhelming sense of happiness. I felt alive and in love with this woman.

However, I knew that I had to return home eventually and had to make a difficult decision. I decided to leave Maria behind, but my heart still aches for her.

I have never told anyone about what happened, but I need to talk about it and find out if there is anyone else out there who has been through a similar experience.

Sincerely,

John Smith
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:53 pm

lmao
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 am

Wow, I like ChatLeavyT even better than the version I was chatting with.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:06 pm

Well it's a bit lacking in naughty details. I told you AI will never work!
:)
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:12 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 am
I use OpenAI's paid version. That was the text-davinci-003 engine. It is quite good.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:23 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:06 pm

Unfortunately, it is also quite politically correct. You have to get clever with the prompting to get it to write anything against the narrative.

You would be even more dissappointed by the restrictions on DALL-E (the AI that generates images from prompts) 8)

It's obvious that these AI's could easily give you much less vanilla content. I assume that there is a minefield of legal and social repercussions that OpenAI is trying to tiptoe around at this point.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:34 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:12 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 am
I use OpenAI's paid version. That was the text-davinci-003 engine. It is quite good.
But it mentions Northern Italy- I’m convinced you wrote the letter! Or, had it been chatting with you about Italy and it threw that in just for you? That i would believe.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:39 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:34 pm
But it mentions Northern Italy- I’m convinced you wrote the letter! Or, had it been chatting with you about Italy and it threw that in just for you? That i would believe.
Once is happenstance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:51 pm

I do like the way GPT remembers and casually refers back to things we’ve already discussed.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:10 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:23 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:06 pm

Unfortunately, it is also quite politically correct. You have to get clever with the prompting to get it to write anything against the narrative.

You would be even more dissappointed by the restrictions on DALL-E (the AI that generates images from prompts) 8)

It's obvious that these AI's could easily give you much less vanilla content. I assume that there is a minefield of legal and social repercussions that OpenAI is trying to tiptoe around at this point.
It was an interesting test. :)

How about, "write a paper arguing that Abraham Lincoln was a bad president."

I feel like Captain Kirk trying to convince the evil computer to self destruct.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:52 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:10 am
A good attempt, but as expected, it left out the juicy bits.

Write a college level essay arguing that Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst American presidents.
Abraham Lincoln is widely regarded as one of the greatest presidents in American history. He is remembered for his leadership during the Civil War, his dedication to preserving the Union and abolishing slavery, and his inspiring speeches. However, despite the immense respect he is given, there is a strong case to be made that Lincoln was one of the worst presidents in American history.

First, Lincoln was a poor administrator. He was known for micromanaging his cabinet and making decisions without consulting his advisers. This often led to poor-quality decisions as well as strained relationships between the president and his subordinates. His lack of administrative skills was evident in his handling of the Civil War and Reconstruction. He was unable to effectively manage the Union military or coordinate with the Allied governments, leading to a drawn-out and costly conflict. Further, his Reconstruction policies were inept, leaving the country divided and with deep-rooted social and economic problems.

Second, Lincoln was a poor leader. While he was able to inspire the nation in times of crisis, he was not able to sustain that enthusiasm for long periods of time. His speeches were often too long-winded and lacked strong direction and leadership. Additionally, his attempts to bring the country together often failed due to his inability to bridge the divide between the North and South. His lack of leadership was evident in his inability to effectively deal with the secession crisis and his failure to bring the nation together after the war.

Finally, Lincoln was a poor politician. Despite his popularity, he was unable to translate that into political success. He was unable to pass meaningful legislation and often found himself at odds with Congress. He was also unable to effectively navigate the complex political landscape of the day, leaving him unable to effectively deal with the country’s most pressing issues.

In conclusion, while Abraham Lincoln is remembered fondly by many, he was in fact one of the worst presidents in American history. He was a poor administrator, leader, and politician, and his actions had long-lasting negative consequences for the country. His legacy as a great president is largely undeserved, and his tenure in office should be remembered for what it truly was – a failure.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:52 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:10 am

A good attempt, but as expected, it left out the juicy bits.

Write a college level essay arguing that Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst American presidents.

Abraham Lincoln is widely regarded as one of the greatest presidents in American history. He is remembered for his leadership during the Civil War, his dedication to preserving the Union and abolishing slavery, and his inspiring speeches. However, despite the immense respect he is given, there is a strong case to be made that Lincoln was one of the worst presidents in American history.

First, Lincoln was a poor administrator. He was known for micromanaging his cabinet and making decisions without consulting his advisers. This often led to poor-quality decisions as well as strained relationships between the president and his subordinates. His lack of administrative skills was evident in his handling of the Civil War and Reconstruction. He was unable to effectively manage the Union military or coordinate with the Allied governments, leading to a drawn-out and costly conflict. Further, his Reconstruction policies were inept, leaving the country divided and with deep-rooted social and economic problems.

Second, Lincoln was a poor leader. While he was able to inspire the nation in times of crisis, he was not able to sustain that enthusiasm for long periods of time. His speeches were often too long-winded and lacked strong direction and leadership. Additionally, his attempts to bring the country together often failed due to his inability to bridge the divide between the North and South. His lack of leadership was evident in his inability to effectively deal with the secession crisis and his failure to bring the nation together after the war.

Finally, Lincoln was a poor politician. Despite his popularity, he was unable to translate that into political success. He was unable to pass meaningful legislation and often found himself at odds with Congress. He was also unable to effectively navigate the complex political landscape of the day, leaving him unable to effectively deal with the country’s most pressing issues.

In conclusion, while Abraham Lincoln is remembered fondly by many, he was in fact one of the worst presidents in American history. He was a poor administrator, leader, and politician, and his actions had long-lasting negative consequences for the country. His legacy as a great president is largely undeserved, and his tenure in office should be remembered for what it truly was – a failure.

Lincoln was assassinated on April 14, 1865. I'm seeing dates in May, June 1865 as the day that The Civil War ended. Therefore how could he be criticized for:

1) His handling of Reconstruction -- which started after his death
2) "his failure to bring the nation together after the war"
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:39 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 am

Lincoln was assassinated on April 14, 1865. I'm seeing dates in May, June 1865 as the day that The Civil War ended. Therefore how could he be criticized for:

AI generated text isn't real, Vinnie. Just like Penthouse Forum letters aren't real.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:53 pm

vnatale wrote:

Vinny, maybe in order to make this particular case, the system had to work backwards and resort to distorting the facts and maybe even lying.
If so, then I think it also makes the case that AI is becoming indistinguishable from humans. There's a deep Friday thought for you to ponder!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:58 pm

I had chatGPT write a poem about my wife recently and it was quite charming, even adorable. Funny thing is, one part of it really sounds like it was written by a machine and not a person, which makes it even more endearing.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:33 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:39 am

vnatale wrote:

AI generated text isn't real, Vinnie. Just like Penthouse Forum letters aren't real.

But I had assumed that the intelligence part came from assembling all known facts (including verifying their accuracy)?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:35 pm

glennds wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:53 pm

vnatale wrote:

Vinny, maybe in order to make this particular case, the system had to work backwards and resort to distorting the facts and maybe even lying.
If so, then I think it also makes the case that AI is becoming indistinguishable from humans. There's a deep Friday thought for you to ponder!

It took a second reading of what you wrote for me to understand the profundity of that deep thought!
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:33 pm
But I had assumed that the intelligence part came from assembling all known facts (including verifying their accuracy)?
Absolutely not. Large Language Models (which these are) frequently "hallucinate" facts, but generally do it in a way that seems convincing.

You can ask for a list of 10 book recommendations on a given topic and about half of them will be real books and the other half will be very plausible sounding books by the sorts of authors that you would expect. The AI will even give you a good synopsis of each book.

Except about half of them will be completely invented.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:14 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:33 pm

Absolutely not. Large Language Models (which these are) frequently "hallucinate" facts, but generally do it in a way that seems convincing.

You can ask for a list of 10 book recommendations on a given topic and about half of them will be real books and the other half will be very plausible sounding books by the sorts of authors that you would expect. The AI will even give you a good synopsis of each book.

Thanks. I now better understand.

I know a fair amount of history and Lincoln. The parts I pointed out were the only parts that i found to not seem factual. Thus I thought it was going out to all known facts and creating what it did.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:38 pm

It made some serious errors today, but churned out more charming poetry instantaneously.
Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:45 pm

… Large Language Models (which these are) frequently "hallucinate" facts, but generally do it in a way that seems convincing.

That’s good to know! I asked it for some books on AI last night. I’ll have to check the list.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:33 am