MacroVoices Financial Podcast Discusses Nuclear Energy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

MacroVoices Financial Podcast Discusses Nuclear Energy

Post by stuper1 »

MacroVoices is one of my favorite financial podcasts. This week they do a deep dive on nuclear energy, which they believe needs to provide our base load of energy at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDt9Fd53yCo
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: MacroVoices Financial Podcast Discusses Nuclear Energy

Post by boglerdude »

so whats the holdup. why arent we building more plants and burying the waste in the desert
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

boglerdude wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:32 am so whats the holdup. why arent we building more plants and burying the waste in the desert
Irrational fear of the n word. Remember they all vote too! That's even scarier.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

I haven't actually finished the podcast yet. I think the holdup is the environmentalists who think that nuclear is super scary, but eventually they're going to have to realize that green energy can't meet the world's needs and that nuclear is a lot better than fossil fuels, which will wind down at some point anyway.
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath »

stuper1 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:17 am I think the holdup is the environmentalists who think that nuclear is super scary
Correct
stuper1 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:17 am but eventually they're going to have to realize that green energy can't meet the world's needs and that nuclear is a lot better than fossil fuels, which will wind down at some point anyway.
I wouldn't bet on that. They're not really thinking clearly or being rational now, so why would that change?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

You're probably right. I suspect fossil fuel use will continue for quite a while still, but hopefully some of these new nuclear technologies discussed in the podcast will get refined in the interim, maybe in some countries with less regulatory burden (Japan, China, Russia?), so that when the fossil fuels are gone or getting ultra expensive, nuclear will be ready to take over.