US Legislative Majority after November 8

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Who will have the US legislative majority?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:00 pmPlease note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Repubs - Senate and House
100%
Dems - Senate and House
No votes
Repubs - Senate only
No votes
Dems - Senate only
No votes
Who cares, they are equally corrupt
No votes

Total votes: 5
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

US Legislative Majority after November 8

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:05 pm

What do you think?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: US Legislative Majority after November 8

Post by joypog » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:20 pm

I think it's going to be a Dem bloodbath losing both houses with continued failures in state houses.

Also, Trump will declare by the end of the month (which will persuade Biden to run again).

And everyone who is happy about the result (any result) tomorrow night will be sorely disappointed by this time next year. >:D
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:11 am

After listening twice to four of yesterday's five Sunday News shows ... I voted Republican for both.

The only way it does not happen is if the women of the country repeat the Kansas abortion referendum.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:18 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:11 am
After listening twice to four of yesterday's five Sunday News shows ... I voted Republican for both.

The only way it does not happen is if the women of the country repeat the Kansas abortion referendum.
Do you mean the party that worships Moloch might remain in control if enough potential sacrificers vote? Horror of horrors! >:D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:24 pm

You left out the most probable outcome as a choice of the Rs don't sweep it.

House = R

Senate remains D

Hence a non-vote from me
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:14 am

joypog wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:20 pm
I think it's going to be a Dem bloodbath losing both houses with continued failures in state houses.

Also, Trump will declare by the end of the month (which will persuade Biden to run again).

And everyone who is happy about the result (any result) tomorrow night will be sorely disappointed by this time next year. >:D
Looks like I'll most likely be wrong about the blood bath and possibly the Dem's losing the senate.

I still feel pretty confident about the second and third predictions.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:22 am

vnatale wrote:
A lot of people who abandoned the forum would be surprised. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:51 am

I like divided government. Reigns in the crazies on both sides. Effectively adding more reams of paper to existing state and federal code and regulations isn't necessarily a good thing.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:56 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:22 am

vnatale wrote:

A lot of people who abandoned the forum would be surprised. O0

To be clear ... when I said "I voted Republican for both" -- that was in response to how I voted above, in this topic ... NOT how I voted in the actual election. I detailed my actual vote there elsewhere.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:33 pm

Oh, forget it then
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:58 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:51 am
I like divided government. Reigns in the crazies on both sides. Effectively adding more reams of paper to existing state and federal code and regulations isn't necessarily a good thing.
I used to believe that way until Executive Orders started becoming so commonplace.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:53 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:58 pm
Kbg wrote:
I used to believe that way until Executive Orders started becoming so commonplace.
I also don't like executive orders but your post got me curious as to whether or not they really have become more common. Here's a link from The American Presidency Project:

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statist ... ive-orders

So they have become more common under both Trump & Biden but have not yet risen back to the annual levels we had during the Kennedy/Johnson/Nixon/Ford/Carter period. And WAY lower than what we saw 100 years ago. I was specifically surprised to see that Obama's numbers were less than average. Maybe the complaining about executive orders has just become more vociferous (like everything else in American politics). An accurate headline should be something along the lines of "Frequency Of Executive Orders About Average!!!"
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:15 am

barrett wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:53 am
jalanlong wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:58 pm
Kbg wrote:
I also don't like executive orders but your post got me curious as to whether or not they really have become more common. Here's a link from The American Presidency Project:

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statist ... ive-orders

So they have become more common under both Trump & Biden but have not yet risen back to the annual levels we had during the Kennedy/Johnson/Nixon/Ford/Carter period. And WAY lower than what we saw 100 years ago. I was specifically surprised to see that Obama's numbers were less than average. Maybe the complaining about executive orders has just become more vociferous (like everything else in American politics). An accurate headline should be something along the lines of "Frequency Of Executive Orders About Average!!!"
So has there been a study on the importance of the executive orders being written now? Maybe the pace is the same but the gravitas of the orders has increased which is why they are making more news. An order issued to make something a holiday is not as important as one creating the Office of Homeland Security.

Biden signed 28 in his first 10 days and some of them were of great importance and probably deserved to be debated in Congress. For example, rejoining the Paris Accord, halting work on the Keystone XL pipeline, reversing the ban on travel from Muslim-majority nations and repealing the Mexico City policy.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:34 am

Just thinking this morning. Looking at my statewide elections, even as the assembly and senate remains solidly Democrat (likely with the help of gerrymandering). "Boring" Republicans are all likely going to win. Flamboyant loudmouth R's are likely going to lose (especially the election-denying SOS candidate, thank god!).

If the GOP just accepted the damn election results of 2020, I'm confident this would have been R's all around.

Instead, people split their tickets. And they agreed that we need to elect people who will treat our elections with respect...before talking policy.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 am

joypog wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:34 am

Just thinking this morning. Looking at my statewide elections, even as the assembly and senate remains solidly Democrat (likely with the help of gerrymandering). "Boring" Republicans are all likely going to win. Flamboyant loudmouth R's are likely going to lose (especially the election-denying SOS candidate, thank god!).

If the GOP just accepted the damn election results of 2020, I'm confident this would have been R's all around.

Instead, people split their tickets. And they agreed that we need to elect people who will treat our elections with respect...before talking policy.

Also, has anyone come up answers as to how in the same precincts where Trump lost the overall vote other Republicans won? Wouldn't that require an extremely highly sophisticated operation to only affect the presidential vote but no other votes?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:07 am

I guess the conspiracy theory is that the Dem operators decided rig their mail-in ballots with Biden at the top of the ticket and vote R's below to cover their tracks?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:49 pm

joypog wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:07 am

I guess the conspiracy theory is that the Dem operators decided rig their mail-in ballots with Biden at the top of the ticket and vote R's below to cover their tracks?

As is usually the case the conspiracy theories answer few questions but generate even more on their own versions of what transpired.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:55 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:24 pm
You left out the most probable outcome as a choice of the Rs don't sweep it.

House = R

Senate remains D

Hence a non-vote from me
What no props for my excellent political forecast?! :)

Ball's definitely in the R's court to reign in Trump and associated whack jobs. It will be interesting to see if third time was the charm or a 4th political butt kicking will be required for it to sink in and move on.

At least amongst my local MAGA associates, they hate it, but they are starting to get it that he and his candidates are not electable anywhere outside an already deeply red state. It's always fun explaining to them that they aren't actually conservatives (for those who will listen which isn't that many).