Book Talk

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Book Talk

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:58 pm

🚧 List of Books is here ⇢ https://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/v ... 63#p244321 🚧
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for doing this, Dualstow!

I've been reading this one and may make reference to it here. In case I do ... there it is. Highly recommended for those who want to understand what really went on with all the challenges to the 2020 election. (By the way ... Mark Bowden wrote an excellent book "Black Hawk Down" which paralleled one of my all-time favorite military movies by the same name. Only read the book once but saw the movie at least three times.)

"In The Steal , veteran journalists Mark Bowden and Matthew Teague offer a week-by-week, state-by-state account of the effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election. In the sixty-four days between November 3 and January 6, President Donald Trump and his allies fought to reverse the outcome of the vote. Focusing on six states—Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin— Trump’s supporters claimed widespread voter fraud. It was not a well-orchestrated matter. There was no guiding genius pulling the strings in key states for the defeated Donald Trump. In the weeks after the election, in counties and precincts all over the country, many local Republican officials and even Trump’s own campaign workers washed their hands of his increasingly unhinged allegations of fraud. But there was no shortage of people willing to take up the fight. Urged on by Trump and his coterie of advocates, lawyers, and media propagandists, true believers turned on their colleagues, friends, and neighbors— even those in their own party—to accuse them of rigging the election. The real story of the insurrection began months before Trump’s mob attacked the US Capitol on January 6, 2021. That riot was the desperate final act, emblematic of the clumsy, failed movement Trump had been building for years. It began in cities and small towns all over America on election day, November 3, 2020. Working with a team of researchers and reporters, Bowden and Teague uncover never-before-told accounts from the election officials fighting to do their jobs amid outlandish claims and threats to themselves, their colleagues, and their families. The Steal* is an engaging, in-depth report on what happened during those crucial nine weeks and a portrait of the heroic individuals who did their duty and stood firm against the unprecedented, sustained attack on our election system to ensure that every legal vote was counted and the will of the people prevailed." *

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (49.75 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book Titles, Politics section

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:58 pm

Thanks for doing this, Dualstow!

I've been reading this one and may make reference to it here. In case I do ... there it is. Highly recommended for those who want to understand what really went on with all the challenges to the 2020 election. (By the way ... Mark Bowden wrote an excellent book "Black Hawk Down" which paralleled one of my all-time favorite military movies by the same name. Only read the book once but saw the movie at least three times.)

"In The Steal , veteran journalists Mark Bowden and Matthew Teague offer a week-by-week, state-by-state account of the effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election. In the sixty-four days between November 3 and January 6, President Donald Trump and his allies fought to reverse the outcome of the vote. Focusing on six states—Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin— Trump’s supporters claimed widespread voter fraud. It was not a well-orchestrated matter. There was no guiding genius pulling the strings in key states for the defeated Donald Trump. In the weeks after the election, in counties and precincts all over the country, many local Republican officials and even Trump’s own campaign workers washed their hands of his increasingly unhinged allegations of fraud. But there was no shortage of people willing to take up the fight. Urged on by Trump and his coterie of advocates, lawyers, and media propagandists, true believers turned on their colleagues, friends, and neighbors— even those in their own party—to accuse them of rigging the election. The real story of the insurrection began months before Trump’s mob attacked the US Capitol on January 6, 2021. That riot was the desperate final act, emblematic of the clumsy, failed movement Trump had been building for years. It began in cities and small towns all over America on election day, November 3, 2020. Working with a team of researchers and reporters, Bowden and Teague uncover never-before-told accounts from the election officials fighting to do their jobs amid outlandish claims and threats to themselves, their colleagues, and their families. The Steal* is an engaging, in-depth report on what happened during those crucial nine weeks and a portrait of the heroic individuals who did their duty and stood firm against the unprecedented, sustained attack on our election system to ensure that every legal vote was counted and the will of the people prevailed." *

Capture.JPG

Just finished this excellent book.

Only one excerpt from it. From the end of the last chapter. As I read it it reminded me of the Kennedy assassination conspiracies theories where it seemed that to believe in them required one to believe that everyone but you and me were involved in that conspiracy.

"No investigation, audit, recount, or fact-check will ever sway Trump or his most ardent followers because distrust is their organizing principle. No one in a position to know can be believed . It is what Joe Gloria discovered to his dismay standing behind the podium at his daily press briefings in Las Vegas. If he himself were a tainted source, a man who had administered elections in Clark County for two decades, who knew the process inside out and who had never been accused of dishonesty or partisanship, what could he say that would make a difference ?
To believe Trump’s claim that there was a nationwide scheme to steal the 2020 vote means believing in a coordinated plot by Erie, Pennsylvania, postmaster Rob Weisenbach, Antrim County, Michigan county clerk Sheryl Guy, and Rohn Bishop, the most authentic Republican in America; in Delco, Pennsylvania, voting machines warehouse supervisor Jim Savage, county solicitor Bill Martin, former county council chairman and Republican attorney John McBlain, councilwoman Christine Reuther, county judge John Capuzzi, and even Valerie Biancaniello, the county’s Trump Lady; in Atlanta, elections workers Ruby Freeman, her daughter Shaye Moss, and envelope-opening machine operator Lawrence Sloan, and … oh, the secretary of state Brad Raffensperger and his entire staff; in Arizona, all the Maricopa County supervisors, its election directors Rey Valenzuela and Scott Jarrett; and, oh yes, George Soros, the US embassy in Rome, the founders of Google and Facebook and the Canadian-based voting machine manufacturer Dominion Voting Systems, one of the most successful in the world. The list is much longer just with those presented in this book, people who for the most part have never met each other, and stretches far, far beyond it. Given the decentralized way elections are held in America, it would be nearly endless. Yet, all were somehow in it together—Giuliani repeatedly insisted the same fraudulent patterns were repeated in every swing state. As such, it would be a stunning masterpiece of coordination. And cunning, too, as Wisconsin’s Dean Knudson likes to point out, because it would include Republican conspirators who somehow managed to throw votes to Biden while also electing their own slate to state and local offices. It is utterly preposterous.

And yet, the belief persists. To question it is heresy. So Trump’s loyal attorney general, William Barr, who had initially horrified career prosecutors by instructing Justice Department lawyers to look into allegations of fraud, became a “spineless RINO” when, in a position to know, he said publicly that the department had found no significant evidence of it. Vice President Mike Pence was often ridiculed for his abject subservience to Trump through four years. When he stood by his conviction that he could not, as president of the US Senate, use his ceremonial role to overturn the Electoral College vote, Trumpists storming the Capitol erected a scaffold and threatened to hang him. Trumpism demands absolute fealty. “I alone can fix it,” he boasted to the GOP convention in 2016. No one else is to be trusted.

Distrust. If there was anything like genius in Donald Trump’s methods, this was it. Democracy depends on that modicum of trust it takes to bring competing parties together after an election to govern. Without it, there can be no majority rule. With the vote itself discredited, the will of the people is sacrificed to a mob of self-styled “patriots” who have decided that they and only they speak for everyone—the opposite of democracy. From the day he entered public life, Trump had chipped away at the vote, that cornerstone. He sowed and planted and nurtured widespread distrust of many things, of government, of institutional and academic expertise of any kind, of mainstream media, of judges, of whole industries, but most often and most insistently, he chipped away at trust in elections. And when he lost, he mobilized that distrust to try to stay in power.
This failed, stopped by the integrity of hundreds of obscure Americans from every walk of life, state and local officials, judges, and election workers. Many of them were Republicans, some were Trump supporters. They refused to accept his slander of themselves, their communities, and their workers, and they refused to betray their sworn duty to their office and their country. They were the true patriots.
They saw The Steal for what it was: a fraud on the United States of America."
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book Talk

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Who here knows who Robert Welch is?

Prior to today I would have had no answer. Now I do know that he was the founder of The John Birch Society.

Highly recommend the book:

A Conspiratorial Life: Robert Welch, the John Birch Society, and the Revolution of American Conservatism

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/022644886X/ ... l_huc_item

Below is one page from the book which is part of explaining Welch's economic influences. I especially liked the middle paragraph (starting with "In that book..." as an excellent encapsulation of Hayek's The Road to Serfdom. I 100% agree with the two sentences I have bracketed.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (154.89 KiB) Viewed 320 times