Alcohol and Nutrition

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:34 pm

If Jamón Serrano doesn't make you see Jesus ... well there is no savior.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:05 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:34 pm
I saw Jesus.

He was wearing a dark blue turtleneck.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:05 am

The spirit of this topic is "Health" so this fits:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness ... dium=email

How sitting all day can cause health problems — even if you exercise

Working out for 30 minutes every day “might not be enough” to counter the health issues created by prolonged sitting, said the author of a sweeping new study
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:55 am

joypog wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:05 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:34 pm
I saw Jesus.

He was wearing a dark blue turtleneck.
Was he standing there with Ramon Serrano?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:31 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:05 am

Working out for 30 minutes every day “might not be enough” to counter the health issues created by prolonged sitting, said the author of a sweeping new study
Interesting. Since WFH, all my phone calls are on my cell phone and I instinctively walk around the house while I talk. I wonder if that has helped keep some semblance of health in spite of my general laziness.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:31 am

joypog wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:31 am

vnatale wrote:

Interesting. Since WFH, all my phone calls are on my cell phone and I instinctively walk around the house while I talk. I wonder if that has helped keep some semblance of health in spite of my general laziness.

Do you have something to keep track of your steps. I usually fall short of a paltry goal of 5,000 a day. Right now I am only at 1,027. After blending some food my only other real planned activity is sitting outside, reading a book and listening to music.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:27 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:06 am

vnatale wrote:

"Sitting is the new smoking."

Yes. First heard that one at least five years ago.

Woe to those who both sit AND smoke! Although they do get some exercise by constantly being shooed outside to feed their addiction.

Someone is living with me who is averaging 39,000 steps a day and smokes a pack of cigarettes a day.

It is an incongruous sight seeing him set off for his multi-hour walk while smoking a cigarette.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:34 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:27 pm

It is an incongruous sight seeing him set off for his multi-hour walk while smoking a cigarette.
We contain multitudes.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:04 pm

O0 Jack.

I was reading the wiki page on author Roger Zelazny lately. He mastered all kinds of martial arts but was also a heavy smoker.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:37 pm

joypog wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:45 pm

🚧 Split off from Trump Reelection Bid thread / DS
https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... 12#p243912 🚧
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
vnatale wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:03 am

Put it this way. It's possible that I may be the only one here who is not an alcohol drinker.

Minor point of order, there's at least two of us.

Though not out of morals, I'm just allergic to that stuff. A quarter cup of beer will get me super-fun-drunk for half an hour before the rest of the night is obliterated with a pounding headache.

I suspect that this allergy has done more for my retirement savings more than anything else (aside maybe getting my architectural license).

I may soon be becoming a non-alcoholic beer drinker.

December 1974 was the last time I had any alcohol or non-prescription drug.

As a young elementary school kid I loved the taste of beer and my parents used to save an inch or two at the bottom of their bottles for me to drink at supper. But I quit about 3rd grade when I found out that alcohol was not good for you.

I did not start drinking again until the age of 21 (drinking age had been 18). At that point did not like the taste of beer and only drank beer to get drunk, so to maintain efficiency and value in my life drank the highest alcohol content you could buy, Colt 45, Maximus Super. 7.5%?

I've wanted to try a non-alcoholic beer but learned they get to use that term by having an alcohol content below a certain percentage. To me that would still be drinking alcohol.

I have little moderation in my life. I'm binary in so many ways. Either on (all the way) or off (none).

But I recently discovered this:

https://www.heineken.com/us/en/our-beers/heineken-0-0

Heineken 0.0.

Comes in those same green bottles that they had when I was drinking beer but never had one then because the alcohol content was not high enough for me.

On its web site it has this:

"What does it mean to be 0.0 alcohol free in the U.S.?
As stated on its label, Heineken® 0.0 has an alcohol by volume of 0.0% and is classified as alcohol free per the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). Heineken® 0.0’s formula, alcohol content, and its label, have been reviewed and approved by the TTB in accordance with the regulations applicable to alcohol free malt beverages."

When I was researching it last week somewhere on its website it said its actual alcohol content was 0.31%, which it said was similar to the alcohol content to some baked goods and a ripe banana.

So that seems to be good enough for me to consider that I'm NOT consuming alcohol. Less than 1/3 of 1% and I have been consuming that level of alcohol in other products.

I talked about this with a friend on Sunday and on Monday he brought me a six pack of bottles of it.

I've not yet been sufficiently motivated to try one.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:52 pm

But Vinny, New England has a superior non-alc brewery.
They’re called Athletic.Google them.
Both the Upside Dawn and the All-out stout are very tasty.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:52 pm

I believe I found them last year but I deemed them to have too much alcohol in them to not be deemed alcohol (by my standards). I will check again now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:22 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:52 pm

I Binged it and quickly found this excellent article:

How Much Alcohol is in Non-Alcoholic Beer?

https://thenutritioninsider.com/wellnes ... drink%20it.

What you recommend meets the limits to be declared non-alcohol beer. 0.5% So, less than 1/2 of one percent.

But I cited the incorrect amount for the Heineken. It is not 0.31%. It is 0.031%. So, less than 1/33 of one percent.

However, according to this excerpt Budweiser Zero has NO alcohol at all:

"Why Does Non-Alcoholic Beer Contain Alcohol?
Alcohol-free beer does contain a small amount of alcohol (up to 0.05% ABV) because some alcohol naturally forms as part of the brewing process.

A few brands have made beers that are considered alcohol-free, like Heineken 0.0 or Budweiser Zero.

However, ​​Heineken 0.0 still does contain a trace amount of alcohol, ranging from 0.01-0.03% ABV—which we guess is why they didn’t name it “Heineken 0.00.”

Is 0.5% Considered Alcohol-Free?
Technically, most non-alcoholic beers are not entirely alcohol-free, as they still contain 0.5% ABV or less.

However, there are many commonly consumed foods and drinks that also have similar low percentages of alcohol, like kombucha, very ripe fruit, some bread, and some yogurt or kefir.

However, if beer is labeled “alcohol-free,” like Budweiser Zero, that beer will have 0.0% ABV. "
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:45 am

I’m not sure why it’s significant.
• I have a Muslim buddy who said he can drink non-alc beer, even with the 0.5% alcohol. It’s like vinegar.
• I doubt it would trigger joypog’s allergy.
• With regard to nutrition, I don’t know…
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:45 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:45 am

I’m not sure why it’s significant.
• I have a Muslim buddy who said he can drink non-alc beer, even with the 0.5% alcohol. It’s like vinegar.
• I doubt it would trigger joypog’s allergy.
• With regard to nutrition, I don’t know…

It's significant because, in general, I'm binary. On or off. 1's or 0's. Nothing in between.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:51 am

You may find that it’s an illusion. You probably ingest tiny quantities of alcohol all the time without realizing it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:51 am

You may find that it’s an illusion. You probably ingest tiny quantities of alcohol all the time without realizing it.

You are correct on that. Learned that in the excerpt from the article that I put here. Which is why the Heinekin 0.0 and Budweiser Zero would require no judgment on my part since they are both definitely below what I've ingested in all the ripe (and extremely ripe) bananas I've consumed.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:18 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/sho ... cae9a&ei=9

We tried gallons of nonalcoholic beers—here are the best
Story by Dr. Dave Ellerby • 2mo

Can you drink nonalcoholic beer while driving?
Driving while drinking a nonalcoholic beer seems like it should be okay, but don’t grab a 6-pack and your car keys just yet.

Although nonalcoholic beers are less likely to put you in the blood alcohol range for a DUI or DWI, some still contain some alcohol. And since we all react differently to alcohol, even a small amount in your system could impair your driving (even if you’re legally in the clear).

Plus, most nonalcoholic beers look like the real thing. That resemblance could catch the attention of law enforcement and lead to a traffic stop. Will a traffic cop be thrilled to have pulled you over for nothing? We doubt it.

So, we recommend you don’t chug nonalcoholic beer while you’re behind the wheel, even if it’s technically legal where you live.