Executive Member

Alcohol and Nutrition

Post by joypog » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:45 pm

🚧 Split off from Trump Reelection Bid thread / DS
viewtopic.php?f=15&p=243912#p243912 🚧
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
vnatale wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:03 am
Put it this way. It's possible that I may be the only one here who is not an alcohol drinker.
Minor point of order, there's at least two of us.

Though not out of morals, I'm just allergic to that stuff. A quarter cup of beer will get me super-fun-drunk for half an hour before the rest of the night is obliterated with a pounding headache.

I suspect that this allergy has done more for my retirement savings more than anything else (aside maybe getting my architectural license).
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Alcohol and Nutrition

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:19 pm

Ok, between the alcohol allergy and that first avatar, you’re definitely of east Asian extraction.
Welcome, xiansheng (Sir).
RIP Marcello Gandini
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:22 pm

joypog wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:45 pm
I'm just allergic to that stuff. A quarter cup of beer will get me super-fun-drunk for half an hour before the rest of the night is obliterated with a pounding headache.
I think I may have one foot in your boat. Beer doesn't give me much trouble, but some red wines will do exactly what you're describing. Others don't. One theory is an allergy to some types of sulfites or preservatives.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:36 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:19 pm
Ok, between the alcohol allergy and that first avatar, you’re definitely of east Asian extraction.
Yup!

But I can't even remember my first avatar...what was it again? Was it my bunny eating a watermelon?

My current one is a color wheel by Joseph Itten, which would an option for a tattoo if I ever got one. My foray into investing forums finally got me to adopt it as my online marker everywhere (except facebook and linkedin).

The other tattoo condidate would be Qi Tian Da Sheng (great sage under heaven) the Sun Wukong gave himself when he was irked with the bureaucracy upstairs.

The reality is I'll get neither. Too painful and too permanent.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:08 pm

joypog wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:36 pm
dualstow wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:19 pm
Yup!

But I can't even remember my first avatar...what was it again? Was it my bunny eating a watermelon?

↳ Avatar thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10604&p=243853#p243853
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:24 pm

Desert wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:40 pm

I've basically stopped drinking alcohol altogether, though it wasn't a conscious decision, I just didn't enjoy it anymore. Probably just getting old.

This December will be 48 years for me. I was never even close to an alcoholic and I only drank for 2 1/2 years, not even starting until I was 21 even though the drinking age was 18 for awhile in my state. Just decided for many reasons that alcohol and other recreational drugs were no longer for me. As prior stated, those decisions have both increased the size of my portfolio and kept pounds off my body.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:19 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:24 pm
Desert wrote:
I've basically stopped drinking alcohol altogether, though it wasn't a conscious decision, I just didn't enjoy it anymore. Probably just getting old.
This December will be 48 years for me. I was never even close to an alcoholic and I only drank for 2 1/2 years, not even starting until I was 21 even though the drinking age was 18 for awhile in my state. Just decided for many reasons that alcohol and other recreational drugs were no longer for me. As prior stated, those decisions have both increased the size of my portfolio and kept pounds off my body.
Yeah that too. I still want to cut out 10lbs off my frame...but with my voracious appetite I would be nowhere near the proper BMI range in my early 40's if I supplemented my eating with alcoholic calories.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:33 am

DeanMartin.jpeg
DeanMartin.jpeg (77.27 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
The Drinking Man's Diet
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:08 am

joypog wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:19 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:24 pm

Desert wrote:

Yeah that too. I still want to cut out 10lbs off my frame...but with my voracious appetite I would be nowhere near the proper BMI range in my early 40's if I supplemented my eating with alcoholic calories.

I am down about 15 pounds since when covid hit widely in March 2020. I similarly lost a lot of weight when I injured myself exercising several years ago and could not exercise for awhile after that injury. During that time I drastically reduced my food intake.

Both told me that the key to losing weight is not exercise (though that is great for your body overall) but what you eat and how much you eat. Really a totally simple equation. All comes down to caloric intake. Unless you are some kind of fanatical physical person physical activity does not use up anywhere near the amount of calories you intake.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:19 am

The basic chemical engineering equation:
input - output = accumulation 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:55 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:19 am

Should not it be = accumulation (de-accumulation)?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:17 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:59 am
Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:33 am
Dean Martin

The Drinking Man's Diet
What kept Dean thin was probably the cigarettes, not the booze. :D
Jokes aside, the fact that he lived at a time before the food industrial complex was chemically polluting our food supply might have also been a factor.
Attachments
Obesity_in_the_United_States.svg.png
Obesity_in_the_United_States.svg.png (72.09 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:08 am
Both told me that the key to losing weight is not exercise (though that is great for your body overall) but what you eat and how much you eat. Really a totally simple equation. All comes down to caloric intake. Unless you are some kind of fanatical physical person physical activity does not use up anywhere near the amount of calories you intake.
Do you believe a calorie is a calorie?
IOW that it doesn't matter if it's 300 calories of ice cream or 300 calories of broccoli, all that matters is total net calorie count?

I think we're derailing the thread unless Trump's obesity somehow makes this relevant. But suffice to say, I don't think the equation is quite that simple.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:44 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 pm
vnatale wrote:
IOW that it doesn't matter if it's 300 calories of ice cream or 300 calories of broccoli, all that matters is total net calorie count?

I think we're derailing the thread unless Trump's obesity somehow makes this relevant. But suffice to say, I don't think the equation is quite that simple.
I think that's generally true. However, I'm also amendable to the idea that "food is not merely input, it is also information." I read that in one of Nassim Taleb's books. He's a bit of a loose cannon so hard to know how strong the science is behind the idea, but Iit feels truthy.

But yeah calories first...then the rest nibbling at the edges. Much like your overall stock asset % vs the specific mutual funds you pick (assuming they are all generally broad funds).
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Joypog,
There have been extensive discussions on this board about the subject of nutrition, calories, paleo, primal, intermittent fasting, collagen, blue zones, vegan/vegetarian vs carnivore, insulin, glucagon, on and on.
There are some knowledgeable people here, or there were at one time.

Maybe a separate thread if the appetite is there for a re-hash. See what I did there? A little tomfoolery.
Last edited by glennds on Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:27 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:17 pm
Jokes aside, the fact that he lived at a time before the food industrial complex was chemically polluting our food supply might have also been a factor.
But the "experts" and the government told us it was okay.

Bringing it back to Trump, he doesn't drink, so there's that. ;)
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:16 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:51 pm
Joypog,
There have been extensive discussions on this board about the subject of nutrition, calories, paleo, primal, intermittent fasting, collagen, blue zones, vegan/vegetarian vs carnivore, insulin, glucagon, on and on.
Some knowledgeable people here, or were here.
Maybe a separate thread if the appetite is there for a re-hash. See what I did there? A little tomfoolery.
Ha! I much, much, much rather talk religion than nutrition, since the latter involves a level of devotion I just can't muster.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:07 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:27 pm

But the "experts" and the government told us it was okay.
Exactly. The FDA food pyramid may have been more lethal than any pandemic!
flyingpylon wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:27 pm
Bringing it back to Trump, he doesn't drink, so there's that. ;)
I'll give him a point for that. I seem to recall a letter from his doctor declaring him the healthiest US President in history. It's hard to argue with that.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:55 am
Mountaineer wrote:
It somewhat depends on how you define positive and negative values, a generation component if any, nuclear reactions if any, chemical reactions if any. I could have been clearer in the simple equation I presented.

Here’s more detailed information for anyone who is interested.

https://web.mit.edu/10.213/oldpages/f99 ... index.html
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:55 am

Mountaineer wrote:

It somewhat depends on how you define positive and negative values, a generation component if any, nuclear reactions if any, chemical reactions if any. I could have been clearer in the simple equation I presented.

Here’s more detailed information for anyone who is interested.

https://web.mit.edu/10.213/oldpages/f99 ... index.html

What are the basic equations in everyone's professions?

I suspect most people here are familiar with the basic accounting equation:

Assets = Liabilities +Equity

And, also this subset equation which was why I asked my question above:

Income - Expenses = Net Profit (Loss)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:35 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 pm

vnatale wrote:

Don't have a definitive question to your direct question but I do know that you will end up weighing more if given the same amount of activity you eat 600 calories of ice cream or broccoli rather than 300 calories of ice cream or broccoli.

I think that eating 300 or 600 calories of broccoli would be a huge amount of food. Of course, not the same for ice cream. It'd be quite easy to consume 600 calories of ice cream.

At one point I was tracking everything about the food I was eating from the labels on the packages and I quickly learned why many weight loss programs advocated eating plenty of vegetables. For most vegetables you'd have to consume large quantities just to consume 100 calories.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:21 pm

Some food requires more energy to digest.

Glycemic index. Foods that give a fast "sugar high" are addictive and strain the pancreas
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:30 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:21 pm

Some food requires more energy to digest.

Glycemic index. Foods that give a fast "sugar high" are addictive and strain the pancreas

Reviewing this:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/gl ... cemic-diet

I see that I consumed no food with a "high GI".

I think the only time I've done so in the last week or so was Sunday night when I consumed three slices of fancy pizza with different toppings on each. But even with that I think it was only the crust that qualified as "high GI".
🚧 Split off from Trump Reelection Bid thread / DS
viewtopic.php?f=15&p=243912#p243912 🚧
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:53 pm

Scandinavian Airlines Alcohol and Nutrition in 1961.
And the stewardesses weren't the only hotties.

ScandanavianAirlines1961.jpeg
ScandanavianAirlines1961.jpeg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:50 pm

Desert wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:27 pm
joypog wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:16 pm
Ha! I much, much, much rather talk religion than nutrition, since the latter involves a level of devotion I just can't muster.
;D Well said!
+1 (sadly) :-\