Scarce and high priced energy in Europe

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Scarce and high priced energy in Europe

Post by Maddy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:10 pm

Little did I know that the EPA has declared wood burning to be "carbon neutral." So there.

https://mishtalk.com/economics/explorin ... on-neutral
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:07 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:10 pm
Little did I know that the EPA has declared wood burning to be "carbon neutral." So there.

Reminds me of the old "Industrial Egg" diagram ::)
Attachments
Industrial egg.png
Industrial egg.png (947.82 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:14 pm

Maddy wrote:

Here's a great thread from a twitter account that has a strong handle on world energy markets.

And a sample snippet about Europe declaring wood pellets as carbon neutral. But, as they say. Read the whole thread.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 7.09.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 7.09.48 PM.png (936.35 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:34 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:14 pm
Maddy wrote:

Here's a great thread from a twitter account that has a strong handle on world energy markets.

And a sample snippet about Europe declaring wood pellets as carbon neutral. But, as they say. Read the whole thread.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 7.09.48 PM.png
There is nothing more surreal-freaky than the high-pitched whine of a harvester taking down everything in its path. My own view is that if you can't take it down with a chainsaw and a couple of horses, then you have no business taking it.

I was amused by the EPA's stance but of course take it with a grain of salt. Everything has costs and impacts. It's the high-tech stuff where the costs and impacts tend to be hidden, offshored, or simply denied, that seems to generate the greatest amount of delusional thinking.

Re the whole "carbon neutral" thing, you gotta wonder where all those carbon atoms are going.

P.S. Mark, your diagram looks like an electrical circuit with a lot of resistors.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:47 pm

Desert wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:17 pm
They better not come for my compost pile.
The Carbon Police.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:10 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:34 pm
Re the whole "carbon neutral" thing, you gotta wonder where all those carbon atoms are going.

P.S. Not Mark, Hal , your diagram looks like an electrical circuit with a lot of resistors.
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 4.07.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 4.07.02 PM.png (952.13 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:31 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:49 am

Adams is on a quest to personally debunk and eliminate ESG as a thing. I hope he succeeds.

Then, when he does, I hope he tackles DEI (I suppose the two are intertwined anyway) next. Between the them, it's costing shareholders (and Universities, etc.) a fortune and accomplishing very little other than creating high paying jobs for a few lucky people.

DEI?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:07 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:31 am
DEI?
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:30 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:07 am

vnatale wrote:

DEI?

I did later Bing it to see what it was. I had never prior encountered it anywhere.

Good communications don't use acronyms not generally understood by all. Burden of good communications is on the sender, not the receiver.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:41 am

Official inflation here is 18%. Guess unofficial is twice than that. Nice, ah? Today I realized that the local store that's normally quite busy during early morning hours has almost no clients now, the same time. Wondering how far will that go in EU...? ECB is lead by bunch of morons ... Still housing market is red hot, and there are new buildings popping up like mushrooms after rain... I know where this will gonna end, but really really hope we'd enter recession and tightening sooner than later...
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:30 am
flyingpylon wrote:
vnatale wrote:
DEI?
I did later Bing it to see what it was. I had never prior encountered it anywhere.

Good communications don't use acronyms not generally understood by all. Burden of good communications is on the sender, not the receiver.
To millions of Americans it means "Dale Earnhardt, Inc." :)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:53 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:48 am

vnatale wrote:

flyingpylon wrote:

vnatale wrote:

DEI?

Anyone who doesn't know what DEI stands for at this point has been living under a rock, so I didn't feel the need to spell it out.

Or, maybe it means it is not the threat you perceive it to be? Not all that pervasive in American life?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:53 am
MangoMan wrote:
Anyone who doesn't know what DEI stands for at this point has been living under a rock, so I didn't feel the need to spell it out.
Or, maybe it means it is not the threat you perceive it to be? Not all that pervasive in American life?
It's a huge deal to the twitter right+left.

I presume it's pervasive in the xyz-studies departments in universities.

Maybe it shows up at big-corporate seminar training sessions where people roll their eyes in a wasted afternoon.

But my daughter has being doing online public elementary school for the past three years and I haven't overheard any DEI stuff.

And I work for a purple-blue State government and haven't heard a single instance of that acronym being used.

Not saying it doesn't exist, but my anecdata is with vnatale here.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:49 pm

My understanding is it's a big issue in universities in particular, where promotions/grants/hiring/firing are based more on skill at demonstrating fealty to a DEI agenda than to actually doing what you're there to do.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:03 pm

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:58 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:38 pm

46884a35dafd.jpg
-
-

-
You're right Vinny. It doesn't exist in the real world.

Please explain how my exact words: "Or, maybe it means it is not the threat you perceive it to be? Not all that pervasive in American life?" mean how you paraphrased them?

There is a HUGE difference between "existing" and being "pervasive".
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 pm

Desert wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:38 pm
Scott Adams is generally wrong about most everything, as he was about Trump. He should have stuck with the cartoons.
Can you elaborate? What I recall was that he was one of a small number of voices saying "this guy has a chance to win, and people don't see it because they're watching a different movie, interpreting the same events very differently". Seemed pretty insightful both at the time and in hindsight.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 am

MangoMan wrote:

vnatale wrote:

flyingpylon wrote:

vnatale wrote:

DEI?

Through various means I asked various people if they knew what "DEI" stands for. Unless otherwise noted all of them live in Western MA.

Former co-worker. Gay woman who is married. She knew. Not unexpected.

Former co-worker. Big into racial equity. She knew.

Going back to my former place of work - a non-profit. The organization received a huge grant to promote racial equity. Each of our staff meetings had a significant portion of it devoted to discussed White Supremacy. Never once during all those meetings did I hear anyone say "DEI".

Friend. Upper 50s. Work in a huge corporate environment wherein his boss is in California. He knew it. His words: "training in our system on it two weeks ago. pc gone awry"

Friend. 77 years old. Extreme liberal. Small business owner. Reads voraciously, books and other. No idea what it meant.

Friend. 81 year old. Liberal. Former president of a small business. President of the housing unit where he lives. Had to look it up in Wikipedia.

Friend. Upper 50s. Has worked at the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) for many years. He knew it. I assumed he'd known it as result of trainings in that job. So I was surprised when he told me he knew what it was from Google. So he had not prior known.

Friend. 60s. Travels all over the world. Runs a travel oriented business. He initially did not know.

Former public school music teacher. 60s. She knew, which would not be surprising given the environment she worked in.

So it seems that one is most likely to know the meaning of the term if one has been involved in some environment where it is actively discussed or promoted. Otherwise it seems to be far from mainstream. My sample above says that about half knew and half did not.

I asked one of them if he was going to be coming to my "rock" today or whether we would be meeting at his "rock" today!

"
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:06 am

Desert wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:34 am
Xan wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 pm
Can you elaborate? What I recall was that he was one of a small number of voices saying "this guy has a chance to win, and people don't see it because they're watching a different movie, interpreting the same events very differently". Seemed pretty insightful both at the time and in hindsight.
Yeah, he did correctly predict Trump's chance of winning, I'll give him that. He was wrong in his view of Trump's capabilities, and he's continued to double down on that view for years now. His devotion seems to have turned him into yet another rabble-rouser, delivering up a stream of culture-war trolling that feeds a certain segment of society's need for continuous outrage.
A successful cartoonist who understands the power of the Halo effect and uses it as an entrepreneur.
I think his Trump election call was an asymmetric bet. If wrong, everyone would forget, and if right, he could always point to it as the foundation for why everything else he says must be right.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am

Scott Adams has been right about Trump's ability to live rent-free in people's heads...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:06 am

glennds wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:06 am

Desert wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:34 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 pm

Yeah, he did correctly predict Trump's chance of winning, I'll give him that. He was wrong in his view of Trump's capabilities, and he's continued to double down on that view for years now. His devotion seems to have turned him into yet another rabble-rouser, delivering up a stream of culture-war trolling that feeds a certain segment of society's need for continuous outrage.

A successful cartoonist who understands the power of the Halo effect and uses it as an entrepreneur.
I think his Trump election call was an asymmetric bet. If wrong, everyone would forget, and if right, he could always point to it as the foundation for why everything else he says must be right.

Similar to someone who "predicted" the 2008 / 2009 financial crisis and then has been living off that call ever since?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:57 pm

> Scott Adams has been right about Trump's ability to live rent-free in people's heads

True. And thats funny. But Adams suggests Trump is 200 IQ. Will be interesting to see if the left slanders DeSantis just as fanatically. I think they will, and it will vindicate Trump a little.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 am

MangoMan wrote:

vnatale wrote:

flyingpylon wrote:

vnatale wrote:

DEI?

Through various means I asked various people if they knew what "DEI" stands for. Unless otherwise noted all of them live in Western MA.

Former co-worker. Gay woman who is married. She knew. Not unexpected.

Former co-worker. Big into racial equity. She knew.

Going back to my former place of work - a non-profit. The organization received a huge grant to promote racial equity. Each of our staff meetings had a significant portion of it devoted to discussed White Supremacy. Never once during all those meetings did I hear anyone say "DEI".

Friend. Upper 50s. Work in a huge corporate environment wherein his boss is in California. He knew it. His words: "training in our system on it two weeks ago. pc gone awry"

Friend. 77 years old. Extreme liberal. Small business owner. Reads voraciously, books and other. No idea what it meant.

Friend. 81 year old. Liberal. Former president of a small business. President of the housing unit where he lives. Had to look it up in Wikipedia.

Friend. Upper 50s. Has worked at the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) for many years. He knew it. I assumed he'd known it as result of trainings in that job. So I was surprised when he told me he knew what it was from Google. So he had not prior known.

Friend. 60s. Travels all over the world. Runs a travel oriented business. He initially did not know.

Former public school music teacher. 60s. She knew, which would not be surprising given the environment she worked in.

So it seems that one is most likely to know the meaning of the term if one has been involved in some environment where it is actively discussed or promoted. Otherwise it seems to be far from mainstream. My sample above says that about half knew and half did not.

I asked one of them if he was going to be coming to my "rock" today or whether we would be meeting at his "rock" today!

"

Just got the answer from someone who lives in New Jersey, early 50s, Extreme Liberal, works as a researcher for the MLB Network, just completed reading his 600th book of the year (!!!!!) -- with most of them being related to politics. He had no idea what "DEI" means.

I rest my case.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:39 pm

I’m glad that’s been decided.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:24 pm

I'm blocking everyone but Vinny.