Any Mac Users here?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Any Mac Users here?

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:21 am

Actually buying my first ever mac laptop. Anything I should be aware of as a decades long Windows user (minus iPhones and iPads)?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any Mac Users here?

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:21 am
Actually buying my first ever mac laptop. Anything I should be aware of as a decades long Windows user (minus iPhones and iPads)?
You'll find the keyboard utterly deficient. Maybe the biggest problem is the lack of a delete key. They have one labeled delete, but it's actually backspace, and there's no delete.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:32 am

I don't know if there is a way around it, but I hate having to click through all the file folders to get somewhere.

I really miss the windows address bar like this where I can cut and paste locations. But maybe there is a hack I'm aware of.

But aside from that, my old Mac air lasted 9 years until my daughter spilled a cup of water on the keyboard....and two years later it still runs (albeit sluggish) when plugged into the wall (I use it for transferring photos to an external hard drive).

That's why we just bought a mac mini and I plan on getting a mac air whenever I need a new laptop....However, I've heard some complaints about the new laptops not lasting as long...so caveat emptor.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-18 072731.JPG
Screenshot 2022-08-18 072731.JPG (19.64 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:09 am

Kbg wrote:
I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro that still works and a 2018 MacBook Pro that's 5 years old. Both have been trouble free. I updated the 2009 with more memory, an SSD hard drive, and a new battery several years ago. My 2018 and the newer laptops I don't think can be easily user upgraded so make sure to buy all the memory and SSD size you think you will need. If my current machine fails, I'd definitely buy another Mac laptop of some sort.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:57 am

joypog wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:32 am
I don't know if there is a way around it, but I hate having to click through all the file folders to get somewhere.

I really miss the windows address bar like this where I can cut and paste locations. But maybe there is a hack I'm aware of.

But aside from that, my old Mac air lasted 9 years until my daughter spilled a cup of water on the keyboard....and two years later it still runs (albeit sluggish) when plugged into the wall (I use it for transferring photos to an external hard drive).

That's why we just bought a mac mini and I plan on getting a mac air whenever I need a new laptop....However, I've heard some complaints about the new laptops not lasting as long...so caveat emptor.
To go to a folder: shift-command-G

Or, from Menu in Finder, Go | 'Go to Folder'

I don't recall if I had to do anything to make this available, but I've got it, and I don't think it's new
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:03 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 am
Kbg wrote:
You'll find the keyboard utterly deficient. Maybe the biggest problem is the lack of a delete key. They have one labeled delete, but it's actually backspace, and there's no delete.
Fewer keys, yeah. No delete is a bit annoying as i jump from work Windows to home Macs.

(I've been liking minimal keyboards so my trackpad is closer)

There are keyboard shortcuts to learn -- fn-delete on Mac gets Windows forward delete
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 am

Kbg wrote:
Gonna take a bit to get used to the small differences. I got OS X The Missing Manual back when I got my first Mac, and it helped

Definitely some differences on keyboard as folks have mentioned

I jump between Window for work and Mac at home and still have hair :)

Below has some info (overload), but, as always, comes with a bit of time.

A big one is to use the 'Command' key in place of 'Ctrl' for things like undo (Command-Z vs CTRL-Z)

https://www.macworld.com/article/233064 ... tcuts.html
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 am

If you're a Windows user, what steered you toward a Mac for your laptop purchase?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm

I love my mac. As someone who does quite a bit of web development, having a unix file system under the hood has proven useful.

As some have mentioned, there have been a few generations of MacBook where the keyboard was terrible. That design was taken to the scrap heap though. The new keyboards (and the old ones) are fine.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:10 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm
I love my mac. As someone who does quite a bit of web development, having a unix file system under the hood has proven useful.

As some have mentioned, there have been a few generations of MacBook where the keyboard was terrible. That design was taken to the scrap heap though. The new keyboards (and the old ones) are fine.
It's still missing a bunch of keys, no?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:16 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:10 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm

It's still missing a bunch of keys, no?
Oh, yeah, totally. I'm actually talking at cross purposes and should have specified. I just meant they got rid of those crappy malfunctioning butterfly switches and brought back a more traditional mechanism. It seems their reliability problems have been solved.

I remember back in 2016 I bought the 2015 model. Then the actual 2016 models came out and I was kicking myself for not waiting. Lo and behold it turned out I dodged a huge bullet reliability bullet.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:18 pm

Heck, what I'd really love is a MacBook with a built-in numpad. O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:49 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:18 pm

Heck, what I'd really love is a MacBook with a built-in numpad. O0

That would kill me. Once I had to work on a client's Windows laptop which did not have the numbers keypad as part of the keyboard. It was absolute torture for me and I told him we'd never do that again.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:51 pm

Be sure to check OWC http://link.macsales.com/q/_K4tzKuArldS ... Q269Y6j9U9 and https://eshop.macsales.com/. They sell a lot of Mac stuff and have good informational articles. I just read a comparison of the M2 vs M1 MacBooks at the first link above.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:02 pm

wait, does that mean that mac users wear masks?

calling @boglerdude.... :P
Last edited by joypog on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:07 pm

Desert wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:41 pm
Macs are leftist. Conservatives use PCs. It's true.
The Mac market is a monopoly while the PC market is open and competitive.

So... checks out.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:27 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 am
If you're a Windows user, what steered you toward a Mac for your laptop purchase?
Living on the edge???

I've thought about it for years but just never pulled the trigger. Unless someone is doing professional industrial grade hardware/software work everyone I've talked to seem to really like their Macs. The negative feedback has always been heavy users and they all tend to be Windows or straight Linux types...but at this point it could turn out great or be a big waste of money. We shall see.

I still want to have a Windows environment for some backtesting software I have so I'm hoping I can do the free VMWare Fusion install and it will work for me. Other than that most of what I do is handled by standard MS Office and a web browser. Parallels looks nice but I'm not up for $119 a year continual subscription. I have a MS 360 family subscription with unused seats so I'm assuming I can download MSO for Mac (or hop back over on the vm to use it if I can't download the Mac version.)

In the past couple of weeks both VMWare Fusion and Parallels started claiming M2 support...so seemed like as good a time as any to take the plunge.

And thanks for the tips and humorous commentary!
Last edited by Kbg on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:29 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:07 pm
Desert wrote:

So... checks out.
Is this why I have a sudden urge to grow a pony tail and pull my grey hair back tightly??? Are daily Starbucks runs in my future?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:31 pm

Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:29 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Desert wrote:

So... checks out.
Is this why I have a sudden urge to grow a pony tail and pull my grey hair back tightly??? Are daily Starbucks runs in my future?
Yes, and the ironic sticker on your MacBook that says "SMASH CAPITALISM".
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:40 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:31 pm
Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:29 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Desert wrote:

So... checks out.
Yes, and the ironic sticker on your MacBook that says "SMASH CAPITALISM".
This is getting weirder and weirder...I just bought Das Kapital for my Kindle app. If you see some new guy show up with kgb as his screen name and it sounds like me...plan an intervention.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:43 pm

Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:40 pm
This is getting weirder and weirder...I just bought Das Kapital for my Kindle app. If you see some new guy show up with kgb as his screen name and it sounds like me...plan an intervention.
lmao!!
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 pm

> Macs are leftist. Conservatives use PCs

mm hmm. I'll fix it myself vs have some authority figure make it work

More seriously, once a company reaches a certain size, their patent protections should be dropped before considering breaking them up
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:51 pm

I read Neal Stephenson’s “In the Beginning, There was the Command Line… while struggling with Linux. In that book, he compared Linux to free DIY tanks and Macs to expensive eurocars. (Windows: don’t ask O0 ). On his website, he quietly appended, “As of the year ____, I’ve changed my mind. I like Macs now.” I think it had to do with the operating system, namely having Unix (or is it BSD?) under the hood. Very solid.
Dieter wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 am

A big one is to use the 'Command' key in place of 'Ctrl' for things like undo (Command-Z vs CTRL-Z)
https://www.macworld.com/article/233064 ... tcuts.html
• I swapped those in settings when I switched over from Windows in ‘09 and have never looked back. (Although, strangely, I did not change it on this ipad mini, and I don’t really notice the difference).

• Also, I have an extended keyboard with a Mac mini. It has both BACKSPACE and forward DELETE .
joypog wrote:

•It’s ridiculously easy to find files and folders. I usually just type what I’m looking for in Spotlight (launched from the keyboard) or Finder and it pops up. You can Open in Enclosing Folder to leave search and see what else is in that folder, or just open the file.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:21 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:51 pm
joypog wrote:

•It’s ridiculously easy to find files and folders. I usually just type what I’m looking for in Spotlight (launched from the keyboard) or Finder and it pops up. You can Open in Enclosing Folder to leave search and see what else is in that folder, or just open the file.
The problem is not about finding and opening a file. Though I do need to get used to using spotlight more often. It's more about a file that I want to "save as" to another folder. Now I have to click around to get to the correct folder on the hard drive, as opposed to cutting and pasting the address in the address bar.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:43 am

joypog wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:21 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:51 pm
joypog wrote:
… hate having to click through all the file folders to get somewhere.
I really miss the windows address bar like this where I can cut and paste locations. ...

…. I usually just type what I’m looking for in Spotlight (launched from the keyboard) or Finder and it pops up. You can Open in Enclosing Folder to leave search and see what else is in that folder, or just open the file.
The problem is not about finding and opening a file. Though I do need to get used to using spotlight more often. It's more about a file that I want to "save as" to another folder. Now I have to click around to get to the correct folder on the hard drive, as opposed to cutting and pasting the address in the address bar.
But you don’t have to click around. You can use spotlight to open the folder.
Or, you could open the Terminal.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years