Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Any Mac Users here?

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:42 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Got the new hardware...initial impressions

Those Apple guys know how to do product design for sure

Several decades in Windowsland is making the transition entertaining (mouse right click anyone?!)

Good thing they have a much better/faster "Finder" than Windows has a "Search" :-)

If it wasn't for my backtesting setup I think I would try to make a full transition but I'm not sure converting everything for use in Parallels (which I bought) would be time/cost effective than just buying a cheaper windows machine and copying everything over.

Still much to figure out and still TBD if this was a good move or not

I did successfully get Time Machine attached to my home network NAS...so that was my geek move of the week highlight

That is their forte including the elite packaging their products come in.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:53 pm

I'm typing this on a new Mac Mini. It's nice, but I failed to get my prior Windows laptop to connect and transfer files. I couldn't use the new computer setup routine that is a one time deal because I used that to transfer my Macbook to the Mini. Now I'm dreading trying to figure out how to get my Windows stuff over.

I know it should be simple, but it wasn't. I'll try again when I feel like getting kicked in the nads. I think I just don't have the permissions right somewhere.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:06 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:53 pm

I'm typing this on a new Mac Mini. It's nice, but I failed to get my prior Windows laptop to connect and transfer files. I couldn't use the new computer setup routine that is a one time deal because I used that to transfer my Macbook to the Mini. Now I'm dreading trying to figure out how to get my Windows stuff over.

I know it should be simple, but it wasn't. I'll try again when I feel like getting kicked in the nads. I think I just don't have the permissions right somewhere.

I was completely impressed with how easy it was to transfer EVERYTHING from my old Motorola phone to my new Motorola phone. Would have never imagined it'd turned out to be easy as it was. I'm seeming to remember all went quickly and with no issues.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:17 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:53 pm
I'm typing this on a new Mac Mini.
Envious. I’m hoping to get a new one soon. Using an 8-year-old one now.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm

Kbg wrote:
Several decades in Windowsland is making the transition entertaining (mouse right click anyone?!)
Yeah...I've always used a windows mouse with my macs.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:16 am

joypog wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm
Kbg wrote:
Elaborate please.

For I Shrugged...a couple of computers back I stopped doing the full transfer thing with the exception of docs, pics, movies etc. Not doing the transfer is a good way to ditch a lot of computer overhead that builds up and hurts performance. Of course the downside is that you end up having to redo your customizations.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:55 am

Nothing special. I just plug in a USB mouse with my macs.

If you're talking about a trackpad...its been a couple years since my daughter killed my mac air. But that thing worked like a dream...is right click tap with two fingers?

My experience with the excellent mac trackpads is why I'll never buy a PC laptop. Every time I've tried to use a PC trackpad (in-law's, work,etc) I've been underwhelmed with their accuracy and responsiveness.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:14 am

joypog wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:55 am

If you're talking about a trackpad...its been a couple years since my daughter killed my mac air. But that thing worked like a dream...is right click tap with two fingers?

<snip>
Yes, two finger

And, there are customizations I believe
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:11 am

Like Joypog, I just plug a standard USB mouse into my Mac (mini). I’ve never owned a Mac mouse.

However, I love Apple’s magic trackpad. This is a standalone bluetooth device that I keep to the right of the keyboard.
My palms always graze the centered trackpad that are built into pretty much every brand of every laptop, moving the cursor and driving me nuts. For this reason, I stopped buying laptops altogether. an ipad mini with a brydge keyboard is my laptop.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:34 pm

joypog wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:55 am

My experience with the excellent mac trackpads is why I'll never buy a PC laptop. Every time I've tried to use a PC trackpad (in-law's, work,etc) I've been underwhelmed with their accuracy and responsiveness.

Are you referring to the square built into a laptop? Or, a trackball?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:14 pm

the square in the laptop. Apple's is way better than anything by dell or lenovo that I've tried.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:16 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:11 am
Like Joypog, I just plug a standard USB mouse into my Mac (mini). I’ve never owned a Mac mouse.

However, I love Apple’s magic trackpad. This is a standalone bluetooth device that I keep to the right of the keyboard.
My palms always graze the centered trackpad that are built into pretty much every brand of every laptop, moving the cursor and driving me nuts. For this reason, I stopped buying laptops altogether. an ipad mini with a brydge keyboard is my laptop.
It should be possible to disable the built-in trackpad on any laptop and use whatever other pointing device you prefer.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:07 pm

joypog wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:14 pm

the square in the laptop. Apple's is way better than anything by dell or lenovo that I've tried.

For a desktop or laptop I much prefer a trackball over a mouse. But when I've had to use a laptop I've been okay with the square. Thought the few times I have used an Apple computer I've found nothing intuitive about using them.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:37 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:07 pm
joypog wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:14 pm
For a desktop or laptop I much prefer a trackball over a mouse. But when I've had to use a laptop I've been okay with the square. Thought the few times I have used an Apple computer I've found nothing intuitive about using them.

Resistance is futile! Be assimilated. 😉

Your friend, … the Borg

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:30 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:16 am
joypog wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm
Kbg wrote:
Elaborate please.

For I Shrugged...a couple of computers back I stopped doing the full transfer thing with the exception of docs, pics, movies etc. Not doing the transfer is a good way to ditch a lot of computer overhead that builds up and hurts performance. Of course the downside is that you end up having to redo your customizations.
I couldn't even make that happen. I'll try again some day.
I also use a USB mouse with scroll wheel and all the buttons.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:16 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:16 pm
It should be possible to disable the built-in trackpad on any laptop and use whatever other pointing device you prefer.
That’s a good point. I suck at Linux, though, and these were mainly Linux laptops. I’m sure the functionality was there. I couldn’t even fix the Suspend feature.
vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:07 pm
the few times I have used an Apple computer I've found nothing intuitive about using them.
I switched in 2009 — not counting the Apple IIe and IIc in school when they really were called “Apple computers” — and have found them ridiculously easy to operate. Reliable, too. I don’t even restart my Mac mini for months at a time. I just sleep it.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:21 pm

One thing that is annoying about Apple is the lack of native ports...two USB-Cs in today's world??? The only reason I can think of doing that is to keep the peripherals ecosystem happy. Somewhere between 5 different things on each side of a laptop and 2 there's a mama bear.

On a side note talking about mouses...my current Windows laptop is a ThinkPad that has the red toggle cursor move thingie. When at a desk I never use it due to a regular mouse or a quick trackpad move...but on an airplane with cramped seating I find I use it most of the time.