Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Any Mac Users here?

Post by joypog » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:17 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:43 am
joypog wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:21 pm
It's more about a file that I want to "save as" to another folder. Now I have to click around to get to the correct folder on the hard drive, as opposed to cutting and pasting the address in the address bar.
But you don’t have to click around. You can use spotlight to open the folder.
Or, you could open the Terminal.
Maybe I need to play with spotlight more. But at the mac based office office I used to work at, the issue I constantly ran into was

Scenario:
1. I have a file already open in a program.
2. I need to save it to a new location
3. For whatever reason I often already have the new location folder open

In windows:
4. double click the address bar, and copy the address location
5. go file>save as
6. past the address location in the "save as menu" address bar
7. done

In mac:
4. go to file> save as
5. click through the whole file system to get to the right folder (repeat a bunch of times)
10. done
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:57 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:07 pm

Desert wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:41 pm

Macs are leftist. Conservatives use PCs. It's true.

The Mac market is a monopoly while the PC market is open and competitive.

So... checks out.

The main reason why I own almost all Apple products except one of their computers.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:00 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:57 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Desert wrote:

So... checks out.
The main reason why I own almost all Apple products except one of their computers.
Wait wait wait. Your collection includes one of everything they've ever made except for a single computer? Finish the set, man!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:15 am

vnatale wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
Desert wrote:

So... checks out.
All of their iPod, iPhone, iPad, watches, desktops, laptops, wireless ear buds, etc. are computers - some are just more powerful and larger than others. So don’t limit yourself by not getting “one of their computers”, get several and be happier than a pig in mud! 🤣🤣🤣
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:50 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:27 pm
glennds wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 am
If you're a Windows user, what steered you toward a Mac for your laptop purchase?
Living on the edge???

I asked because Mac really excels at certain things, and if you had a certain application in mind, it might make the difference. I do a lot of photography and digital imaging, and for the Adobe suite, Mac is a hands down winner, not to mention the color rendition and resolution of the displays. It's almost as though Photoshop was designed for Mac and retrofitted to work on Windows.

People who are into video editing and music mixing also seem to fall on the Mac side of the fence too. Certainly graphic artists.
But having been a decades long Windows user like you, when I use my macbook for business productivity and file management, it's invariably frustrating.
Another pro though is Time Machine and integration with iCloud, other devices across the Apple platform. There is software that claims to replicate Time Machine on Windows, but not as elegantly, at least the ones I've tried.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:07 am

Smith, you mentioned wanting to use VMware. When your host and guest architectures are the same (eg, running x86 Windows inside an x86 Mac), then VMware isn't having to translate every individual CPU instruction.

If your host and guest architectures are different (eg, running x86 Windows inside an M1 Mac), then true emulation is required, which may be very slow.

So I wouldn't just assume "VMware works on M1 Macs now" as meaning it would actually be useful, depending what you were trying to do. Maybe they've worked some magic and it's all just fine.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:35 am

I envision vnatale rocking his newton on lounge chair in the shade of his new solar panels.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:47 am

joypog wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:35 am
I envision vnatale rocking his newton on lounge chair in the shade of his new solar panels.
And then heading down to the basement for a free steam facial
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:03 pm

joypog wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:17 am
2. I need to save it to a new location
I’ll have to try it again myself to be sure, but there’s a search box right in the Save As dialogue box. (As good as Spotlight). You just type in the name of the folder where you want to save it. Don’t even need the path.
I’m 100% sure with unsaved files, but I’ll try it sometime with an already saved files.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:29 pm

Here's a stunning article about how kids these days have no idea what a directory structure even is. I guess they just expect to type a name into a search and have the thing pop up.
https://www.theverge.com/22684730/stude ... tion-gen-z
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:41 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:00 am

vnatale wrote:

Smith1776 wrote:

Desert wrote:

So... checks out.

Wait wait wait. Your collection includes one of everything they've ever made except for a single computer? Finish the set, man!

As a collector I have thought of that. But I don't know if I'd ever use one since I may own about 10 Windows computer.

But I do have multiple iPads, iPad minis, iPhones, iTouches, iPods, Air Pods....the only real category I am missing is a computer.

Each of the above is quite nice and well worth the used prices I pay for them. But the computers represent terrible value compared to their Windows equivalents.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:15 am

vnatale wrote:

Smith1776 wrote:

Desert wrote:

So... checks out.

All of their iPod, iPhone, iPad, watches, desktops, laptops, wireless ear buds, etc. are computers - some are just more powerful and larger than others. So don’t limit yourself by not getting “one of their computers”, get several and be happier than a pig in mud! 🤣🤣🤣

I do use all those Apple products I listed that I own. Cannot see myself ever getting one of their overpriced computers because it fails the value test miserably and I don't see what it offers over this Windows computer I am using right now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:44 pm

joypog wrote:

Is it because I'm a non-Apple computer person that the "newton" reference completely goes by me?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:45 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:29 pm

Here's a stunning article about how kids these days have no idea what a directory structure even is. I guess they just expect to type a name into a search and have the thing pop up.

I found that for many people who daily use a Windows based computer that it is extremely difficult for them to understand basic directory structure.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:56 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:29 pm
Here's a stunning article about how kids these days have no idea what a directory structure even is.

They refuse to commute to an office and have never seen the org chart. :P

I guess they just expect to type a name into a search and have the thing pop up.
They must be using a Mac! O0 O0
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:44 pm
joypog wrote:
Is it because I'm a non-Apple computer person that the "newton" reference completely goes by me?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton O0
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:02 pm

As an operations research and financial engineering major, Drossman knows how to program — he’s been trained to navigate directories and folders throughout his undergraduate years, and he understands their importance in his field. But it’s still not entirely natural, and he sometimes slips. About halfway through a recent nine-month research project, he’d built up so many files that he gave up on keeping them all structured. “I try to be organized, but there’s a certain point where there are so many files that it kind of just became a hot mess,” Drossman says. Many of his items ended up in one massive folder.
Wow. I've always been so obsessive about my folder structure that I refuse to use the default "documents" folder in the OS.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:09 pm

That is a great read by the way.
Since kbg already uses Apple devices, he is no doubt aware that those devices don't make it easy to know where things like photos are saved. iOS only recently copied Android's Files app (as an in-house app) a few short years ago, and even then it's too much trouble to use it for many things.

I used to send everything to my computer to enforce file structure (but also because iTunes and other Apple products threaten to delete everything on one device when synching two devices. You guess which half, sucker, mwah hah hah.) Not quite as obsessive as joypog - I do use Documents -- but close. Photos that I really want to keep are not stored only in Photos, because who knows.

Worth noting, however: the computer that I send these files to is still a Mac.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:02 pm

What's funny is that when Spotlight was first introduced with Mac OSX years ago, Steve Jobs predicted on stage at All Things D that the traditional file structure would be taken out to pasture soon.

I'm still waiting. :D
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:43 pm

Desert wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:57 pm
The future of document control is trending away from folder structures to metadata that can be used to quickly locate the file. ERP systems, CAD systems, etc. all use this type of tech. So the youngsters may bypass the whole file structure phase, much like they did with paper checkbooks and land lines.
What you're describing is exactly what Adobe has done with Lightroom for managing a photo catalog. But it only works as well as the user's vigilance in attaching text keywords during import. And even then, the file structure is still important because it's way too slow to search an entire large catalog, you would usually want to search within a subfolder or group of subfolders. I wonder what evolution AI may bring about.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:36 pm

I don't know how those text keywords work on modern Windows, but I really appreciate how MacOS makes use of keywords, tags and comments. It's how I find photos, because it's far easier to apply multiple tags than it is to figure out which folder takes precedence.

Google Drive seems to have gone backwards, moving from tags back to folders. But, it's easy enough to find documents there.

You can still see the path in Mac's Finder, but yeah I don't see a way to paste it in the graphical interface. I admit I open a second window, zip over to the target destination to the file (by typing the name), and dragging it using a trackpad. (Tapping it is a lot easier than clicking a mouse).
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:33 pm

I haven't used Macs in a while, but the last time I did, it went like this:

4. Go to file> save as in the app
5. In the open Finder window that shows the folder you want to save into, drag the proxy icon the titlebar into the Save dialog's main view
6. Done.

This works in all document-based apps, too (well, the ones that use the Apple UI frameworks, which on macOS is almost all of them). That proxy icon in the titlebar allows you do drag-and-drop open files anywhere, rename them from the titlebar, or open their containing folder in Finder.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:57 am

Thanks! Both suggestions (to drag the folder into save-as, and to use the search bar) worked perfectly! Cheers!
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:53 pm

joypog wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:57 am
Thanks! Both suggestions (to drag the folder into save-as, and to use the search bar) worked perfectly! Cheers!
Makes me wonder why I never used the search bar....I guess I'm due for a visit to the people's anti-directory-tree reeducation camp.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Got the new hardware...initial impressions

Those Apple guys know how to do product design for sure

Several decades in Windowsland is making the transition entertaining (mouse right click anyone?!)

Good thing they have a much better/faster "Finder" than Windows has a "Search" :-)

If it wasn't for my backtesting setup I think I would try to make a full transition but I'm not sure converting everything for use in Parallels (which I bought) would be time/cost effective than just buying a cheaper windows machine and copying everything over.

Still much to figure out and still TBD if this was a good move or not

I did successfully get Time Machine attached to my home network NAS...so that was my geek move of the week highlight