www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What happened to Sophie?

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:31 am
I miss her insightful and informed perspective. :-\

Looks like she has had nothing to say here for about 9 months. Here was her last communication. Nothing in it would indicate her displeasure of what was going on in this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12350&p=234721#p234721

Just a typical post from her.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:16 am
Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:31 am I miss her insightful and informed perspective. :-\
Looks like she has had nothing to say here for about 9 months. Here was her last communication. Nothing in it would indicate her displeasure of what was going on in this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12350&p=234721#p234721

Just a typical post from her.
Indeed... I hope wherever she is that she is okay.
MicroMasters
Ruby on Rails rules all
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Hi all,

I've been lurking occasionally, and was quite surprised to find this - thanks Smith for the shout-out.

I stopped posting for several reasons. First and foremost, between my demanding job/career and my role as an Alzheimer's caregiver for my mom, plus getting elected to my coop board of directors, I've had to dial back on most recreational activities.

The other two reasons are not as much fun to contemplate, but I have to say something. First, in the current political climate it has become frankly dangerous to spout off your opinions in public, if they are in disagreement with the government-approved narrative. People have lost jobs and suffered other, quite serious consequences as a result of their political views - and things could get worse before they get better. I have too much at stake to risk that.

Second, it is no longer possible to have a well-informed, enlightened discussion between people with different viewpoints on this forum. It is quite telling that there's still a lot of fretting about how one should go about expressing opinions without upsetting someone's delicate sensibilities. In the past, I learned a lot from this forum because posters fearlessly "read between the lines" of current events instead of simply swallowing government & mainstream media pronouncements. They also listened to different viewpoints and provided thoughtful and on-point responses. It was not uncommon for discussions to change my thinking about the topic at hand. I can't think of a single instance of that happening in the past few years on this forum.

I think, in sum, that you can either have a healthy, active and interesting forum, or you can have a "safe space". You can't have both.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Well said Sophie. And, I too have missed you. My very best wishes for you and your Mom. Your Mom is blessed to have a caring daughter like you.

…Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

sophie wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:50 pm Hi all,

I've been lurking occasionally, and was quite surprised to find this - thanks Smith for the shout-out.

I stopped posting for several reasons. First and foremost, between my demanding job/career and my role as an Alzheimer's caregiver for my mom, plus getting elected to my coop board of directors, I've had to dial back on most recreational activities.

The other two reasons are not as much fun to contemplate, but I have to say something. First, in the current political climate it has become frankly dangerous to spout off your opinions in public, if they are in disagreement with the government-approved narrative. People have lost jobs and suffered other, quite serious consequences as a result of their political views - and things could get worse before they get better. I have too much at stake to risk that.

Second, it is no longer possible to have a well-informed, enlightened discussion between people with different viewpoints on this forum. It is quite telling that there's still a lot of fretting about how one should go about expressing opinions without upsetting someone's delicate sensibilities. In the past, I learned a lot from this forum because posters fearlessly "read between the lines" of current events instead of simply swallowing government & mainstream media pronouncements. They also listened to different viewpoints and provided thoughtful and on-point responses. It was not uncommon for discussions to change my thinking about the topic at hand. I can't think of a single instance of that happening in the past few years on this forum.

I think, in sum, that you can either have a healthy, active and interesting forum, or you can have a "safe space". You can't have both.
Hey, Sophie. Sorry to hear that you’ve had kind of a rotten experience here the last couple of years. Best to you and your family.

Do check in every once in a while!
MicroMasters
Ruby on Rails rules all
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

+1
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Thank you all - I'll try to keep up the "visits" when I can!

And, special thanks from my mom, Mountaineer. She's had a tough couple of years but is relatively stable now...for a while I hope.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

sophie wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:00 pm Thank you all - I'll try to keep up the "visits" when I can!

And, special thanks from my mom, Mountaineer. She's had a tough couple of years but is relatively stable now...for a while I hope.
Give your Mom a hug for me Sophie; she sounds like quite a special lady. :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

Glad to know you're well, Sophie. For me, you've always been one of the most thoughtful and eloquent posters, and your contributions have been missed.