Car chip shortages

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Car chip shortages

Post by whatchamacallit »

Here is to hoping the end of shortages is near.

I saw this video and found this article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkbuqkul5k

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-07-18/

Apparently there is a lot of hoarding going on with hopes to buy and flip chips for profit. I expect this will be bad news for the hoarders.
Pang has bought 62,000 microcontrollers, chips that help control a range of functions from car engines and transmissions to electric vehicle power systems and charging, which cost the original buyer $23.80 each in Germany.

He's now looking to sell them to auto suppliers in the Chinese tech hub of Shenzhen for $375 apiece. He says he has turned down offers for $100 each, or $6.2 million for the whole bundle, which is small enough to fit in the back seat of a car and is packed for now in a warehouse in Hong Kong.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Car chip shortages

Post by Kbg »

It's interesting seeing all the dealerships around where I live looking more like used car lots with a factory authorized service center attached.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kbg wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:14 am
It's interesting seeing all the dealerships around where I live looking more like used car lots with a factory authorized service center attached.

When I was attempting to help my friend acquire a car we walked the full lot of the local Honda dealership. We did not see any new vehicles. I later talked to someone there and he said that they had four in total. They were in the showroom.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

vnatale wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:10 am
Kbg wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:14 am It's interesting seeing all the dealerships around where I live looking more like used car lots with a factory authorized service center attached.
When I was attempting to help my friend acquire a car we walked the full lot of the local Honda dealership. We did not see any new vehicles. I later talked to someone there and he said that they had four in total. They were in the showroom.
I've read a couple of articles that the car manufactures may like it this way as they know that pretty much across the board the dealership experience in buying a new car is not a pleasant one...and since Tesla basically gave the middle finger to all 50 states on dealership laws they are looking to follow. However, it's quite a bit more difficult to do a reset for the older manufacturers.