Car Advice Needed!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Car Advice Needed!

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:58 pm

The last few days my muffler had been sounding slightly loud.

This afternoon I drove to Northampton, MA. Part of the way I was on route 91 and going over 80 mph. No issues.

Before leaving Northampton to go home I stopped for gas. I asked my friend how my muffler sounded. He said it sounded slightly loud. However as soon as I hit 91 I could hear my muffler as being quite loud.

I me the friend at the Whately Diner and he told me to open the hood and then run the engine. Not only were we hearing an extremely loud exhaust sound but he was hearing another sound that concerned him enough for him to say that I probably should not be driving my car too much.

The backdrop is that my excellent mechanic who I completely trust is on vacation this week. His location is only 3 miles from where we were eating. We discussed if the problem was so serious that I should just have the car towed there.

What we eventually did was drive it a mile to a repair place who agreed to give it a look. That person said it was no other issue but an exhaust leak and that driving it would not cause any further damage to anything. However, he cautioned that I should not drive it much since I could be pulled over due to the noise and I'd be breathing carbon monoxide with open windows.

Just before I got home I sought a second opinion from another repair place 3/4 mile from my house on my street.

This person said it was either an exhaust leak, catalytic converter, or a cracked manifold. He does extensive towing. I asked him if I could drive the car to my mechanic without doing further damage or whether he should tow it. He said I could drive it.

About 50 feet after I got out of his driveway an indicator light came on my dashboard. The "Malfunction Indicator Lamp".

The manual states: "If the indicator comes on while driving, it means one of the engine's emission control systems may have a problem. Even though you may feel no difference in your vehicle's performance, continued operation may cause serious damage."

"NOTICE: IF you keep driving with the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on, you can damage your vehicle's emissions controls and engine."

I decided to drive the remaining 1/2 mile to get the car into my garage, where it now sits.

I am going to get the car to my mechanic so that he can diagnose the actual problem and fix it.

The question is.......do I drive the car there or have it towed there? What I read in the manual is quite concerning.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Car Advice Needed!

Post by Hal » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:26 pm

Do you have access to anyone with a scan tool to read the error codes? USA version of https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/roa ... tance.html

Once you get the code, you can make an informed decision.

btw: find this channel quite interesting https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEKt2b ... 3wpPpDOUaA
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:41 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:26 pm

Do you have access to anyone with a scan tool to read the error codes? USA version of https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/roa ... tance.html

Once you get the code, you can make an informed decision.

btw: find this channel quite interesting https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEKt2b ... 3wpPpDOUaA

It is not an error code. With this car I once prior received one of those general error codes.

This is a specific indicator which indicates all that I quoted from the car's manual.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:55 am

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:40 am

For Honda's, at least my vintage, if the MIL light is on you should have the car checked out as soon as possible but the car is drivable in the short term. If the MIL light comes on and is flashing that means a more serious issues (engine misfires..ect) and the car should not be driven until the problem is diagnosed or repaired.

If your manual states this is an emissions issue, you should be able to drive to your mechanics shop.

Calling the dealer or your local mech before you drive to their shop might help ease your mind on the risk involved.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:00 am

GT wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:40 am

For Honda's, at least my vintage, if the MIL light is on you should have the car checked out as soon as possible but the car is drivable in the short term. If the MIL light comes on and is flashing that means a more serious issues (engine misfires..ect) and the car should not be driven until the problem is diagnosed or repaired.

If your manual states this is an emissions issue, you should be able to drive to your mechanics shop.

Calling the dealer or your local mech before you drive to their shop might help ease your mind on the risk involved.

Thanks for the response. My car is a 2004 Honda Accord with 160,000 miles on it. My mechanic is about 11 miles / 16 minutes from my house. I have an email to a friend who works at a Honda dealership to see if he can get back to me an opinion from his service department. And, as I stated above it was NOT any generic message I was getting. It was quite specific in the manual what that indicator being on meant:

"About 50 feet after I got out of his driveway an indicator light came on my dashboard. The "Malfunction Indicator Lamp".

The manual states: "If the indicator comes on while driving, it means one of the engine's emission control systems may have a problem. Even though you may feel no difference in your vehicle's performance, continued operation may cause serious damage."

"NOTICE: IF you keep driving with the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on, you can damage your vehicle's emissions controls and engine.""

I will be calling my mechanic at 7 AM Monday morning when he returns from being on vacation this week. The garage 1/2 mile down the street from my house does offer extensive towing services.

I do not belong to AAA and I'm thinking that if I joined today they may not offer me towing services that quickly upon joining?
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:25 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:00 am
GT wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:40 am

Thanks for the response. My car is a 2004 Honda Accord with 160,000 miles on it. My mechanic is about 11 miles / 16 minutes from my house. I have an email to a friend who works at a Honda dealership to see if he can get back to me an opinion from his service department. And, as I stated above it was NOT any generic message I was getting. It was quite specific in the manual what that indicator being on meant:

"About 50 feet after I got out of his driveway an indicator light came on my dashboard. The "Malfunction Indicator Lamp".

"NOTICE: IF you keep driving with the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on, you can damage your vehicle's emissions controls and engine.""

I will be calling my mechanic at 7 AM Monday morning when he returns from being on vacation this week. The garage 1/2 mile down the street from my house does offer extensive towing services.

I do not belong to AAA and I'm thinking that if I joined today they may not offer me towing services that quickly upon joining?
Do you have an advanced Auto or similar store nearby? They have scan tools for MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) codes - your car's ECU (computer) should have the fault error stored in memory; which the scan tool can retrieve. - Example P0455 emissions Evap system leak.

If your car was taller, like a Honda Element or Pilot, I would say someone stole your catalytic converter.

"3 Signs Your Catalytic Converter Was Stolen

Loud noises There’s a pretty blatant red flag that your catalytic converter has been stolen: unusually loud and harsh...
Check engine light Unless you have a vehicle that predates engine control modules (ECMs), your dashboard...
Failed emissions test"
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:28 am

vnatale wrote:
Check your auto insurance policy to see if you have roadside assistance. They will usually tow your car even if it's sitting in your driveway.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:38 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:28 am
vnatale wrote:
Check your auto insurance policy to see if you have roadside assistance. They will usually tow your car even if it's sitting in your driveway.
We had AAA and the free tow was for the 1st 5 miles only, so we dropped them.

Once my daughter moves out on her own, we will pick it up again for her
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:22 pm

A shameless plug for AAA: roadside INSURANCE is just that, something to help with an unexpected expense and probable inconvenience and safety issues especially when my wife and grandkids are out driving far from home. It’s something I hope we never have to use, just like homeowners insurance, fire insurance, personal liability insurance, vehicle insurance, and travel insurance. I’m glad to pay the premiums for the peace of mind. YMMV
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:22 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:22 pm

A shameless plug for AAA: roadside INSURANCE is just that, something to help with an unexpected expense and probable inconvenience and safety issues especially when my wife and grandkids are out driving far from home. It’s something I hope we never have to use, just like homeowners insurance, fire insurance, personal liability insurance, vehicle insurance, and travel insurance. I’m glad to pay the premiums for the peace of mind. YMMV

Yes. It is a form of insurance.

But insurance is to cover what you cannot afford to pay for yourself.

I have not needed to be towed since 2007. Add up all the money I have saved since then by NOT paying the annual AAA cost. I will still be way, way, way ahead if I needed to be towed somewhere.

Plus it is my firm belief that when you call a garage directly you get better service and response then when they receive it as a AAA call.