Secret IRS files reveal the top US income-earners and how their tax rates vary more than their incomes.

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Secret IRS files reveal the top US income-earners and how their tax rates vary more than their incomes.

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:02 pm

Secret IRS files reveal the top US income-earners and how their tax rates vary more than their incomes. Tech titans, hedge fund managers and heirs dominate the list, while the likes of Taylor Swift and LeBron James didn’t even make the top 400.
Last edited by vnatale on Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Secret IRS files reveal the top US income-earners and how their tax rates vary more than their incomes.

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:50 am

I’m curious, but I went with a friendlier looking link:
https://projects.propublica.org/america ... -revealed/
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Secret IRS files reveal the top US income-earners and how their tax rates vary more than their incomes.

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:01 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:50 am

Yours took you to the same place as mine did.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:29 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:01 am
dualstow wrote:
Vinny, I think your link might be a link to your personal email account. It works for you. The rest of us get a login prompt.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:35 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:29 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:01 am

dualstow wrote:

Vinny, I think your link might be a link to your personal email account. It works for you. The rest of us get a login prompt.

Wow! Thanks, Xan! That was a major, major, major error on my part. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I just edited it out of my original post above. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:11 pm

Just read the linked article. It's pretty disingenuous in some places.

When criticizing the "buy, borrow, die" strategy, they have a pretty fair point.

When they categorize charitable giving as a prominent tool for the wealthy to lower their tax burden, that's a borderline lie. Nobody gives to charity for the purposes of lowering their tax burden: you have to give the money away completely in order to avoid the taxes. If your goal were to maximize your net worth, you'd give away $0.

When they talk about the preferential rates for capital gains, it's disingenuous to leave out the fact that the money has already been taxed, when it was initially earned. So having ANY capital gains tax could be seen as unfair.

They also gloss over the fact that when the money comes through a corporation, it gets taxed at the corporate level and again at the personal level.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:04 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:11 pm

When they categorize charitable giving as a prominent tool for the wealthy to lower their tax burden, that's a borderline lie. Nobody gives to charity for the purposes of lowering their tax burden: you have to give the money away completely in order to avoid the taxes. …
I tend to agree although one exception I’ve seen is a company donating in the employee’s name. i believe Bain Capital did this for Mitt Romney: a bonus plus a charitable contribution made in his name. (Not in his honor, but n his name as if he had done it).
Still, a charity got paid. That doesn’t seem bad to me.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:12 pm

P.S. While the infographic was mildly interesting, how can I get in on reading Vinny’s email?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:21 pm

He posts just about everything from his email here.
Attachments
1AAFEAD1-A667-47AA-A49C-C2542A93F110.jpeg
1AAFEAD1-A667-47AA-A49C-C2542A93F110.jpeg (111.5 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:09 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:40 pm
I'll bet that ^ guy gets lots of dates.
I bet you are right on this.

I am sure he has the needed parasite.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12576