Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Inflation - What are you doing different

Post by joypog » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:44 am

GT wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:45 am
joypog wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:46 pm
Interesting podcast from Animal Spirits about inflation and commodities as a hedge.
https://animalspiritspod.libsyn.com/tal ... -inflation

The guest's contention is that Gold is a good hedge against US Dollar Debasement inflation but does not do well against the Scarcity inflation that we are experiencing today.

I'm not sure what to think of it, but it sounds truthy....but then again anything that a slick financial guy says invariably sounds truthy.
Did the guest speaker try and pitch anything at the end of the talk?

Example: Gold is great but the XYZ commodities fund has beaten Gold over the last 6 months.... etc.
The guests have their own index and commodity ETF (HGER). Their basic proposlition is that the BCOM Index (sector weighted, more spread out among commodities) is good against debasement inflation, the GSCI Index (very heavy on energy) is better against scacity inflation

HGER's special index does special math that oscillates between the two and is good against all inflation.

Sounds like a cute product, but given my existing gold allocation I don't need their help. Might as well just slowly pick up some more shares of the GSCI commodity index fund (PDBC).
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:52 pm

It's amazing how well DBC/PDBC have done...simple and they work when they should (which isn't the same as saying they are a good hold during some periods)
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:17 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:41 am
Jack Jones wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:49 am
I'm applying to higher paying jobs. I spent 10 years at my last job, but after 1 year at my current job, this Biden economy has me begrudgingly interviewing again. I'm quite happy with my current position, but this inflation has me feeling like the frog slowly cooking in a pot.
I’m sorry to hear it, Jack. Wishing you the best of luck in your search!
Thanks! It went well. It took me three failed interview attempts, but on the fourth I succeeded. I feel better about inflation now; I did my part for my family.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:47 am

Ah, that’s great!
RIP Marcello Gandini
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:00 am

Jack Jones wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:17 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:41 am
Jack Jones wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:49 am
I'm applying to higher paying jobs. I spent 10 years at my last job, but after 1 year at my current job, this Biden economy has me begrudgingly interviewing again. I'm quite happy with my current position, but this inflation has me feeling like the frog slowly cooking in a pot.
I’m sorry to hear it, Jack. Wishing you the best of luck in your search!
Thanks! It went well. It took me three failed interview attempts, but on the fourth I succeeded. I feel better about inflation now; I did my part for my family.
Great news!!

Were the positions higher paying than your prior or did you have to negotiate salary?
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:42 am

GT wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:00 am
Jack Jones wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:17 am
Great news!!

Were the positions higher paying than your prior or did you have to negotiate salary?
I don't think I made it to the salary negotiation stage on the prior attempts, but the new position is higher paying and a promotion. Going into it, I knew that the promotion meant that I'd be taking on more responsibilities, so I was looking for the offer to take that into account, as well as inflation. Their first offer met both of those criteria, so I just accepted it w/out negotiating. Probably a mistake, but my last attempt at negotiating was so painful that I didn't want to rock the boat.

My previous attempt at negotiating, I gave a number that, in retrospect, was too high. They balked at it and basically withdrew the offer saying they were concerned that all I cared about was money. Foolishly, I had already submitted my two-weeks (unbeknownst to them), so I was between a rock and a hard place. I ended up writing a simpering letter about how I plan to be a good boy there, and fortunately that got me in the door, because the alternative was being unemployed w/out unemployment (since I left my job voluntarily). Not surprisingly, the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and I had a chip on my shoulder from day one of employment at this company.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:34 pm

Desert wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:08 am

Jack, congrats on the new position!

I think it's just fine NOT to negotiate, when the offer is decent. When the offer is attractive/fair, I think it makes sense to just accept it and dive in.

Except that one time when I was hiring someone the owner of the company told me the upper limit, I could pay the person we hired.

When I met with her to tell her we wanted her she accepted the lower amount I'd started off with without asking for any more. She would have got the upper limit if she asked for it. Being the company person I always was I accepted her taking our offered pay.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:59 pm

Indeed, congratulations Jack!
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone.